IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Brexit going forward
I wouldn't have purchased in Turkey had I known they wouldn't get into the EU in 2010. We kind of got stuck here. However, it's a fantastic place to live in many ways. The lack of justice, proper law, and order and the bloody confusing rules are not ones that do it proud.

I feel its likely Turkey will get into the Eu at some point possible before the UK rejoins. BUT this would mean new leadership and a strong democratic leader who will offer justice and stamp on corruption. I don't see anyone that fits the bill right now but the BIG difference is in 2007 (TL 2.3 to £) when we purchased, there was no support in the people of Turkey for joining the EU. Now of course everyone wished they had and they were in the Euro.
Turkey did not and does not wish to be part of the EU. Occasionally it is trotted out for political purposes but this government is never going to jeopardize its freedom of decision making.

Chasey

Brexit going forward
Like the first line.......not they cannot but, cannot be bothered.

Some suppliers ‘cannot be bothered to fill in the additional paperwork’ and have decided to stop sending goods to the UK
Correct

That is what happened when the UK govt reduced the total number of employees you can have from 9 to 4 for the purpose of qualification as a small business employer? I reduced my workforce from 9 to 4 because the paperwork was an absolute nightmare.

This is why when the UK government introduced workplace pensions rather than doing their job and providing a living wage state pension, I got rid of ALL my employees and now only use subcontractors. Again the paperwork was an absolute nightmare.

I simply do not have time to deal with all the regulatory paperwork and we do not justify the full-time employment of someone who can.

Same thing with Brexit. The supplier looks at the paperwork and decides it's simply not worth it.

Don't try to pretend this is not a Brexit thing.

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Brexit going forward
Correct

That is what when the UK govt reduced the total number of employees you and have from 9 to 4 for the purpose of qualification as a small business employer? I reduced my workforce from 9 to 4 because the paperwork was an absolute nightmare.

This is why when the UK government introduced workplace pensions rather than doing their job and providing a living wage state pension, I got rid of ALL my employees and now only use subcontractors. Again the paperwork wax an absolute nightmare.

I simply do not have time to deal with all the regulatory paperwork and we do not justify the full-time employment of someone who can.

Same thing with Brexit. The supplier looks at the paperwork and decides it's simply not worth it.

Don't try to pretend this is not a Brexit thing.

You seem to be ok with the attitude of 'cannot be bothered' as an excuse for businesses not adapting to changes.

I hope you're ok with that attitude in your everyday life.....Turkey is not the place for someone who cannot adapt to ever changing paperwork.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Brexit going forward
Whereas they used to send goods to the UK before Brexit. A major success for Brexit then!

And I used to able to go to varies countries before covid (without having to fill in extra paperwork).
It's called 'adapting to changes'.
I'm sure all those countries who now require extra paperwork will accept the excuse of 'Cannot be bothered' when you hand them the blank form back.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Brexit going forward
And I used to able to go to varies countries before covid (without having to fill in extra paperwork).
It's called 'adapting to changes'.
I'm sure all those countries who now require extra paperwork will accept the excuse of 'Cannot be bothered' when you hand them the blank form back.
Changes that were never needed. It's not as if all this was not discussed before the referendum is it? Oh the magic bus. Oh the blue passport. Oh the fish in the seas!

Chasey

Brexit going forward
You seem to be ok with the attitude of 'cannot be bothered' as an excuse for businesses not adapting to changes.

I hope you're ok with that attitude in your everyday life.....Turkey is not the place for someone who cannot adapt to ever changing paperwork.

As a business, you look at the task and decide if it's profitable. If it's not, you don't do it.

THAT is adapting to the environment

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Brexit going forward
As a business, you look at the task and decide if it's profitable. If it's not, you don't do it.

THAT is adapting to the environment

So, for example, when the motor dealer you take one of your car to for fixing says.....you need a part, but it means we have to fill in extra paperwork and we cannot be bothered.....that sits well with you?

Adapting means changing as required......if a business cannot be bothered (even though what's required is available) that's on them.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Brexit going forward
So, for example, when the motor dealer you take one of your car to for fixing says.....you need a part, but it means we have to fill in extra paperwork and we cannot be bothered.....that sits well with you?

Adapting means changing as required......if a business cannot be bothered (even though what's required is available) that's on them.
Seems you've never run a serious profitable business.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Brexit going forward
We knew customs declarations and passing would become onerous and costly , however this meant nothing to the man on the Clapham omnibus . Remain should have hammered this to death . Also remain should have split their campaign so that it would hsve been two remain campaigns alongside the two exit groupings . Each newscast had one remain , and two exit spokespersons . Cameron was too weak to manage remain , what a waster .
Steve

Jaycey

African Refugee
Brexit going forward
IMO it was so obvious that Remain would win regardless that many didn't bother to vote.
Just goes to show that voting opportunities should never be wasted.

Chasey

Brexit going forward

This is a stupid example but OK ill go with it

Yes. When the garage points out the repair cost for your £2000 value car is £3000 and it will take two months to get the parts?

You scrap the car

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Brexit going forward

The post-Brexit economic crisis never materialised – Labour is right to move on​

Extract:
The unpopular truth is that leaving the EU has not magically transformed Britain, but nor has it been calamitous.

Plenty of people – on the left as well as the right – believed George Osborne when he conjured up a dystopian vision of Britain after a vote for Brexit during the final weeks of the referendum campaign. The then chancellor said victory for leave would result in a “DIY recession”, the loss of 800,000 jobs, a weaker housing market and a stock market crash. Two years on from our date of departure from the EU, none of it has happened.

Unemployment is lower than it was in 2016 and, although this is very much a mixed blessing, house prices are higher. Share prices have risen and until Covid-19 arrived there was no recession.
That hasn’t halted the flow of gloomy predictions: Nissan would quit the UK, tens of thousands of City jobs would be lost to Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam.
More recently, Brexit supply chain problems would mean a turkey-less Christmas and empty high street shelves in December. None of that happened either, and the wait for economic meltdown goes on.

Far from quitting the UK, Nissan last year announced it was investing £1bn in electric vehicle production at its Sunderland plant. Children didn’t wake up to empty Christmas stockings. A study by the consultancy EY found almost nine out of 10 global financial services firms plan to establish or expand operations in the UK this year.

Confirmation bias is where people latch on to evidence that suits their argument while zoning out things that don’t. Opponents of Brexit, for example, filter out the success of the UK’s go-it-alone vaccine procurement strategy and the freedom the government now has to cut VAT on domestic energy bills.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom