Chasey

Brexit going forward
Its the EUs fault I tell you, they won't let us import all the foreigners we need to run our country properly. We are a sovereign nation and we demand they let us have all their skilled labour and that they should pay for them to all learn English as a first language at school so they can speak the one true language properly :)

We have done the maths and it works out cheaper to import skills and then tax them to pay for UK workers to sit at home doing nothing. The EU are just trying to attack us by preventing this ;)

Brexit going forward
Its the EUs fault I tell you, they won't let us import all the foreigners we need to run our country properly. We are a sovereign nation and we demand they let us have all their skilled labour and that they should pay for them to all learn English as a first language at school so they can speak the one true language properly :)

We have done the maths and it works out cheaper to import skills and then tax them to pay for UK workers to sit at home doing nothing. The EU are just trying to attack us by preventing this ;)
Well I’ve got four grown up siblings, all at work, none with the attitude to sit at home and do nothing.
Maybe you’re relating to your own family and friends?

Chasey

Brexit going forward
Well I’ve got four grown up siblings, all at work, none with the attitude to sit at home and do nothing.
Maybe you’re relating to your own family and friends?

My eldest is a doctor and my youngest a teacher and I have the sum total of zero relatives (or friends) on benefits, so no

However, it's the nature of my work to deal with many people living on benefits. One is a single mum with an autistic kid who I have huge respect for, some of the others? not so much.

Being Kent-based and with so many farms begging for workers, it does make me wonder if being on benefits is a lifestyle choice for some people rather than being so unfortunate that they need the support of the state to protect them.

The government do the math all the time. If a major employer is closing the government weighs up the cost of putting people on benefits and the cost of bailing out the company, and it makes a fiscal decision. Sometimes it's worse and they decide based on voter support. As with any business, you look at the cost-benefit first.

Providing funds for training re-education and job implementation is very very expensive.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Brexit going forward
I worked in a supermarket distribution centre , loads of people came for jobs , but with an 06:00 start time and no public transport to an out of the way industrial eastate many without transport could not stay . It was rotating shift , this does not work for many sharing childcare responsibilities . Shift included every other weekend , this is not family friendly . Young men saw their mates and girlfriends having a social life without them , the whole depot was universlly called a graveyard for relationships , then there was a kicker , the work was so heavy that ladies could not cope . In the six weeks when i started ( christmas cover ) i lost nineteen pounds . Fortunately i was head hunted for other duties , otherwise i would have left .
Thanks for your indulgence , but many shunned jobs are such as the above , and not many can handle the work.
The young polish , romanian , south american ( fake portuguese ) and lithuanian former soldiers loved it , young , tough wiry... used to following instructions , but just the same as every other racial group prepared to slack off when given the chance . Just human nature in a taxing , tiring work environment...not all, but just the same as every one else .
Steve

Jaycey

African Refugee
Brexit going forward
Guardian.jpg

At last, a biblical kind of Christmas..

There will be no PlayStation 5 under where the Christmas tree used to be. There will be no jokes in Mrs Brown’s Boys, as usual, but none in the Christmas crackers either. There’s no petrol or HGV drivers, of course, but correspondents also report shortages of tennis balls, merlot, white bread, sardines, M&S chicken kievs, fish sauce, frozen apple strudel, tinned sardines, spring onions, fire alarms, an effective opposition, chocolate Hobnobs, cat vaccines, cat worming pills, bubble bath, Leon fish-finger wraps, marmalade, butter beans, dog-poo bags, goats, crisps, decaf coffee, bulbs (plant), bulbs (light), pigs, blankets, pigs-in-blankets, roofing lead and Harry Potter merchandise, especially wands...

Brexit going forward
My eldest is a doctor and my youngest a teacher and I have the sum total of zero relatives (or friends) on benefits, so no

However, it's the nature of my work to deal with many people living on benefits. One is a single mum with an autistic kid who I have huge respect for, some of the others? not so much.

Being Kent-based and with so many farms begging for workers, it does make me wonder if being on benefits is a lifestyle choice for some people rather than being so unfortunate that they need the support of the state to protect them.

The government do the math all the time. If a major employer is closing the government weighs up the cost of putting people on benefits and the cost of bailing out the company, and it makes a fiscal decision. Sometimes it's worse and they decide based on voter support. As with any business, you look at the cost-benefit first.

Providing funds for training re-education and job implementation is very very expensive.
I am a lost life long Labour voter. There is no doubt that living on benefits is a life choice - for many. On the other hand, I knew a chap at the gym who had 2 jobs and still was eligible for benefit assistance. Something not right in our society.

Brexit going forward
View attachment 24343

At last, a biblical kind of Christmas..

There will be no PlayStation 5 under where the Christmas tree used to be. There will be no jokes in Mrs Brown’s Boys, as usual, but none in the Christmas crackers either. There’s no petrol or HGV drivers, of course, but correspondents also report shortages of tennis balls, merlot, white bread, sardines, M&S chicken kievs, fish sauce, frozen apple strudel, tinned sardines, spring onions, fire alarms, an effective opposition, chocolate Hobnobs, cat vaccines, cat worming pills, bubble bath, Leon fish-finger wraps, marmalade, butter beans, dog-poo bags, goats, crisps, decaf coffee, bulbs (plant), bulbs (light), pigs, blankets, pigs-in-blankets, roofing lead and Harry Potter merchandise, especially wands...

Looks like everyone will be saving a few quid then.....

Brexit going forward
I can survive without all the commercial crap at Christmas, so can others. Maybe we've had it too good for too long and we need a re-balance to reflect on what we still have?
The other side of the coin being, the manufacturers and suppliers will be taking a hit.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Brexit going forward
I can survive without all the commercial crap at Christmas, so can others. Maybe we've had it too good for too long and we need a re-balance to reflect on what we still have?
On the other hand why spoil it with all that religious bollox, its about Morecambe and Wise, Zulu, Coronation Street specials, eating quality street on Christmas morning until you are sick, eating platefuls of food that would feed the starving in Africa and drinking copious amounts of shite you would never drink at any other time like Baileys, advofeckingcat etc. wearing ridiculous jumpers just because you can and will likely never wear again.
Why do the god botherers try and take all the fun out of the day.

Mushroom

Brexit going forward
Don't get me wrong. I haven't gone bah humbug entirely and you have a better chance of seeing me with a season ticket for Old Trafford than seeing me in church but I don't subscribe to the run up starting in August and the fact that kids have no concept of any meaning, just which presents they want - usually expensive.
Christmas lunch with all the trimmings? - Nope, go out for a quality ruby. My day off from cooking.
A big commercial rip off and as for the rubbish on telly, less said.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Brexit going forward

Trade Barrier Index​

Extract:
The International Trade Barrier Index (TBI) follows on the success of its sister index the International Property Rights Index used by think tanks, governments, private industry, and academics from around the world to assess their property rights environment.

After observing rising trade tensions across the world, the need was made clear for a tool that could reveal trade barriers, in all their various forms, as the barriers to economic and individual freedoms they are. The problem: too often the trade debate is distracted by political spin or bureaucratic standard setting that treat individuals, and their freedoms, as bystanders.

The Trade Barrier Index is the response to that need. The first edition was released in 2019, providing data on tariffs, non-tariff measures, services restrictions, and the trade facilitation environment for 86 countries in an easily comparative format.

The 2021 TBI results confirm once again that Adam Smith was on to something: nations tend to become more prosperous as they shed barriers to trade, whether tariffs or non-tariff barriers. It is no random matter that the nations with the lowest barriers according to the 2021 TBI—Singapore, New Zealand, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Sweden, and Canada--are also among the most free and prosperous in the world.

One of the most newsworthy insights of the 2021 TBI is the remarkable progress of the United Kingdom in lowering its own trade barriers after Brexit. Once the UK exited the EU’s common external tariff at the beginning of 2020, it embarked on one of the world’s most ambitious efforts at unilateral trade liberalization. With its new UK Global Tariff, the nation slashed hundreds of tariff lines to zero and signed 60 liberalizing trade agreements. As a result, the UK jumped from 8th to 4th in the TBI rankings. In a wonderful replay of history, the United Kingdom is re-asserting its global leadership in trade 175 years after repeal of the Corn Laws in 1846. (Meanwhile, the United States languishes far down the TBI rankings, challenging the myth that it is one of the most open economies in the world.)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom