Akasya

Postless Pointer
Brexit going forward

A prime architect of that victory was Chris Patten, then chairman of the Conservative Party. The same Patten – who now sits as European commissioner responsible for external relations alongside Vice-President Kinnock – recently declared that “Neil does an incredibly difficult job very well; heaven knows who else could do it.”
Steve

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward

A prime architect of that victory was Chris Patten, then chairman of the Conservative Party. The same Patten – who now sits as European commissioner responsible for external relations alongside Vice-President Kinnock – recently declared that “Neil does an incredibly difficult job very well; heaven knows who else could do it.”
Steve

I think Steve you miss my point. Regardless of what Party or affiliation some of these people come from, we as the electorate get no say on putting them in or out of the position they hold. That applies to good or bad national politicians.
Did people on here ever think for example that Juncker was your/our President?
The make up of the Brussels Parliament is similar to what we are getting here now, one Party with overall power & from that Party the EPP is where the candidates for the plumb jobs of the Presidents comes from.
VDL and Merkel were/are aligned with the EPP via their own national Party.
Its not an attack on Kinnock or any other individual, its an attack how that system rolls.

Last edited:

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Don't forget 'guacamole Mandelson.
I didn’t want to mention that slime bag, it might’ve spoilt people’s night.
TBF, all Parties had fingers in the pie, if remain had won, Clegg wouldn’t be working for Facebook now, prime candidate for the EU. Pro EU, loses his seat in a GE, Brussels would’ve snapped him up.
Hard to find another profession where you can get kicked out but step back into the same profession on a much better number.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Brexit going forward
That's the difference Camden, the Conservatives are in power, Labour are not even in the also rans paddock.
They can scream, shout & moan but they've got no clout. Believe it or not, that doesnt suit me, I would rather have decent Opposition to any Government.
Get your act together, give us something, anything, where we can say, "that's a good idea", if you think you'll win an election on a platform of Boris lying, you're wrong. The whole of the world knows politicians BS their way through life but guess what? They still get re-elected.
And all the Brexit benefits--again?, looks like no answers here. just a stale gloat at Labour, is there a Brexiteer among us who can start with the Brexit benefits and not dodge and weave?

SLEEPY

Brexit going forward
Interesting video from ITV.
It's a million miles politically and culturally from where I come from. But I cannot help thinking that these people have being abandoned by their political master's
Poor educational attainment and poverty offers nothing but a bleak future..This years NI Centnary,of a 'protestant state for a protestant people' is NOT developing as their forefathers envisaged.

Chasey

Brexit going forward
I think Steve you miss my point. Regardless of what Party or affiliation some of these people come from, we as the electorate get no say on putting them in or out of the position they hold. That applies to good or bad national politicians.
Did people on here ever think for example that Juncker was your/our President?
The make up of the Brussels Parliament is similar to what we are getting here now, one Party with overall power & from that Party the EPP is where the candidates for the plumb jobs of the Presidents comes from.
VDL and Merkel were/are aligned with the EPP via their own national Party.
Its not an attack on Kinnock or any other individual, its an attack how that system rolls.

Its a democratic system???? So what would you prefer?

We get no say in the election of the people who run our country. All we can do is elect our local MPs and the party with the most elected MPs forms a government and that party elects a leader and that leader forma a cabinet. We have ZERO say past the point of electing our local MP

In Europe we (you and me) elect our MEPs the party with the most elected MEPs forms the party from which a leader is chosen

Struggling to spot the difference here?

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Its a democratic system???? So what would you prefer?

We get no say in the election of the people who run our country. All we can do is elect our local MPs and the party with the most elected MPs forms a government and that party elects a leader and that leader forma a cabinet. We have ZERO say past the point of electing our local MP

In Europe we (you and me) elect our MEPs the party with the most elected MEPs forms the party from which a leader is chosen

Struggling to spot the difference here?
So what would you suggest Chasey, scrap all elections that operate on the same system as the UK? How did Macron and Biden come to power.....

Chasey

Brexit going forward
So what would you suggest Chasey, scrap all elections that operate on the same system as the UK? How did Macron and Biden come to power.....
I dont understand your question?

Are you confusing presidential elections with the election of a political party?

We do not have a President in the UK, so we elect a political party, not a president. And we have no say in the leader of the party. Something like 45% of UK leaders (priministers) were not elected by public vote.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
I dont understand your question?

Are you confusing presidential elections with the election of a political party?

We do not have a President in the UK, so we elect a political party, not a president. And we have no say in the leader of the party. Something like 45% of UK leaders (priministers) were not elected by public vote.
So you want what exactly for the UK, a President? And just how would that President get the job.....by the electorate.
And Joe Biden wasn’t elected because he was a Democrat?

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Brexit going forward
Brexit gets the blame from some for lack of workers to stack shelves and pick fruit. Yesterday Radio 4 did a programme titled "Where are the workers", under The Briefing Room set. It is the first objective view I have listened to describing how UK comes to where it is. Yes, Brexit can be put in the dock, but the panel of "experts" were more long-sighted and although acknowledging furlough, lockdown/travel bans etc, they pointed the finger at British industry who have become lazy and over-reliant upon cheap foreign labour; bosses are complaining about lack of capable/qualified local workers, but ignore that they have slashed training budgets because they could. There are plenty of unemployed workers, but employers need to get up to speed with the world as it is to get them into post, and try harder to keep them.

Worth listening to: The Briefing Room - Where Are All the Workers? - BBC Sounds

Ian

429nufc

Brexit going forward
Not often I agree with you but that is spot on
Look at the NHS, it's cheaper to let Germany train doctors then we pick them and look a the immorality of 3rd world countries training nurses then the UK picking them up for nothing.
It could be that the Health Service in their own country doesn't have the vacancies but even so we could pay towards the training

Mushroom

Brexit going forward
Not often I agree with you but that is spot on
Look at the NHS, it's cheaper to let Germany train doctors then we pick them and look a the immorality of 3rd world countries training nurses then the UK picking them up for nothing.
It could be that the Health Service in their own country doesn't have the vacancies but even so we could pay towards the training
Why would you pay for something if you can get it for nowt?

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Brexit going forward
Why would you pay for something if you can get it for nowt?
Because when the "free" tap is turned off, you are left with nobody to deliver the good, stack the shelves, deliver the babies or wipe the drooling faces of old people.

Ian

Mushroom

Brexit going forward
Yes, but it's called business and sentiment does not exist in business. It will be paid for only when it has to be paid for and not until the 'free tap' is turned off.

Chasey

Brexit going forward
So you want what exactly for the UK, a President? And just how would that President get the job.....by the electorate.
And Joe Biden wasn’t elected because he was a Democrat?

Jesus you sound like Cathy Newman?????

Again your making no sense your confusing a presidential election with a political election???

We do not have a president nor do we particularly want one. We are happy with our unelected monarch

A president can be one of two things, a political leader like Biden or a ceremonial figure like Erdogan was until the dubious coup

When looking at the American elections the discussion is all about the Democrats and the Republicans. People vote for the party MOST of the time, not the man.

Friends of mine voted Democrat whist simultaneously shaking their heads in dismay abut Biden being President

Chasey

Brexit going forward
Brexit gets the blame from some for lack of workers to stack shelves and pick fruit. Yesterday Radio 4 did a programme titled "Where are the workers", under The Briefing Room set. It is the first objective view I have listened to describing how UK comes to where it is. Yes, Brexit can be put in the dock, but the panel of "experts" were more long-sighted and although acknowledging furlough, lockdown/travel bans etc, they pointed the finger at British industry who have become lazy and over-reliant upon cheap foreign labour; bosses are complaining about lack of capable/qualified local workers, but ignore that they have slashed training budgets because they could. There are plenty of unemployed workers, but employers need to get up to speed with the world as it is to get them into post, and try harder to keep them.

Worth listening to: The Briefing Room - Where Are All the Workers? - BBC Sounds

Ian

The problem is more complicated than that

When you have unemployed people being put in rented accommodation that the government is stumping up 2000 PCM a month + + Bills + spending money + council tax paid+ Child care allowance, how is the unskilled unemployed person supposed to get out of that? In fact why would they want to? They are getting the equivalent of 40K a year to live in Fulham or Lambeth. And don't you dare suggest they move to a low rent area because they will demand their right to stay close to family and friends in the place in which they were born

Only people who work for a living are forced to move to lower cost areas so they can afford to live.

Even n low rent areas where a 2 bed flat can be as low as 800 PCM they are still struggling to find work that pays enough to make it worth actualy working for it.

We solved this problem by importing low cost hard working people

We are not going to be able to replace them with lazy chaves who are well clued up on the benefits system cause their mum and dad taught them.

Benefits is a lifestyle choice these days, not the safety net it was intended to be.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom