Camden

Brexit going forward

This from the Brexit supporting rag the Express ...if it is reporting the truth on Brexit it must be bad

Fishing farce: Boris's deal leaves UK fishermen with LESS quota than before Brexit​

BRITISH fishermen have access to less quota than they did before Brexit due to Boris Johnson's failure to negotiate a robust trading partnership with the European Union, a fishing boss has said.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward

This from the Brexit supporting rag the Express ...if it is reporting the truth on Brexit it must be bad

Fishing farce: Boris's deal leaves UK fishermen with LESS quota than before Brexit​

BRITISH fishermen have access to less quota than they did before Brexit due to Boris Johnson's failure to negotiate a robust trading partnership with the European Union, a fishing boss has said.

So if its such a rag............why are you even reading it?

Camden

Brexit going forward
So if its such a rag............why are you even reading it?

It wouldn't have been the first thing, I think most people would have taken from my post and the Express headline ... the comment on the newspaper, most I would think be far more concerned on the plight of the Fisherman and its industry .... due to Brexit.

To answer your question though, Chips it's good to take a broad sway of opinion both" for "and "against" including the opposition press and media ... You should try it sometime, instead filling your head solely by reading the spin from insular Euro Sceptic, Brexit propaganda media ha ha LOL ....

Then you might not have got it so wrong in the last post on the UK position at the time...

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
It wouldn't have been the first thing, I think most people would have taken from my post and the Express headline ... the comment on the newspaper, most I would think be far more concerned on the plight of the Fisherman and its industry .... due to Brexit.

To answer your question though, Chips it's good to take a broad sway of opinion both" for "and "against" including the opposition press and media ... You should try it sometime, instead filling your head solely by reading the spin from insular Euro Sceptic, Brexit propaganda media ha ha LOL ....

Then you might not have got it so wrong in the last post on the UK position at the time...

So how does it work Camden, should we all rely on a headline from a so called rag or only use a headline when it suits our own narratives......

Get over it.....we’ve left & it really matters not what any of us post.
I’m surprised you even accept the GE result.

Camden

Brexit going forward
First, I didn't just go by the headline from this rag to suit my narrative, they were actually quoting if you read the Fishermen's Leader (who should know what's going on in his industry )

The Second, the "Get Over It"
unfortunately we can't, we are all having to live through it and the consequences. So try saying "Get Over It" to the Fishermen whose livelihood is at stake, or to those in the City and their support staff , who are losing their jobs to Dublin, Amsterdam etc . Or try telling Truck Drivers ,Haulage firms and their Business customers "To Get Over It " and see the response you would get, in your it doesn't affect me , I'm alright insular Brexit world ...

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
First, I didn't just go by the headline from this rag to suit my narrative, they were actually quoting if you read the Fishermen's Leader (who should know what's going on in his industry )

The Second, the "Get Over It"
unfortunately we can't, we are all having to live through it and the consequences. So try saying "Get Over It" to the Fishermen whose livelihood is at stake, or to those in the City and their support staff , who are losing their jobs to Dublin, Amsterdam etc . Or try telling Truck Drivers ,Haulage firms and their Business customers "To Get Over It " and see the response you would get, in your it doesn't affect me , I'm alright insular Brexit world ...
I am alright in the Brexit world, I vote for what I think is right. I don't have the stupid attitude of, "we won the argument but lost the vote". I'm pretty sure that London voters never studied the rest of the country, just like the rest of the country never studied London. Just like Birmingham or London don't study fishermen or maybe YOU DID. I wonder if the Welsh study NI whenever they vote!!
Work on this, the rights or wrongs on how people voted no longer comes into it, there was no "nearly" or "but the percentage was", it really no longer matters. What matters is, the UK moves forward. Nobody expected a rose garden, what they did expect was simple.............THEIR VOTE TO BE COUNTED AND RESPECTED.

Now calls for another vote with the view of rejoining just gives sucker to those who voted to remain. As pointed out though, where is that avenue for another vote, where is that avenue to rejoin? The fence that the Labour Party were sitting on in the run up to the referendum has collapsed, the Opposition's Front Bench over the EU is what exactly, because we know what the Governments Front Bench stance is.

We've left, nor do I see us going back into it. This "club" that wants to be a superpower has just dropped one of the biggest political/medical mortar shells I've ever known. This "club" has now introduced vaccine nationalism by blocking a vaccine to Australia...........then goes cap in hand to America trying to get supplies released by the American Government. 27 member states, pharmaceutical lobbyists in their thousands imbedded at Brussels, vaccines produced inside member states boundaries and..........they blew it.

Kanga

Brexit going forward
GB was criticised by Brussels for doing a U turn of the Irish border agreement which caused a real problem for Eire, but how is that any different from the EU blocking a legitimate export of vaccine to Oz?
What a bunch of hypocrites.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
GB was criticised by Brussels for doing a U turn of the Irish border agreement which caused a real problem for Eire, but how is that any different from the EU blocking a legitimate export of vaccine to Oz?
What a bunch of hypocrites.

They truly are hypocrites but it goes further than that. They’re also the Opposition to some member states elected leaders.
For me it’s not a case of rubbing my hands at the thought of the EU breaking up, I’m not really bothered one way or another. It was crisis after crisis before we left and it’ll continue down that path but........without the UK.

Chasey

Brexit going forward
They truly are hypocrites but it goes further than that. They’re also the Opposition to some member states elected leaders.
For mt agruculteral producing country in Europ and it is a gatway e it’s not a case of rubbing my hands at the thought of the EU breaking up, I’m not really bothered one way or another. It was crisis after crisis before we left and it’ll continue down that path but........without the UK.

Name a country that isn't plagued with crisis after crisis.

Then look at superpowers and the situation is magnified 10 fold

Then look at federal superpowers with power in member states/countries like the EU and USA and it's magnified yet again.

What you should be saying is, aren't the EU totally incredible for repeatedly managing the massive crisis they are faced with and bringing together 28 sovereign countries in line with a single unified future. That is an incredible achievement.

The EU is a beacon of hope against the tyranny of Russia, China and the USA

Together they are strong. Divided they are a bunch of second-rate countries with absolutely no hope of standing against the might of superpowers, condemned to hold on to the shirt tails of those with the real power.

The USA sees the Euro as a threat to the mighty dollar, Russia sees the EU as a threat to its ambitions, China sees the EU as a threat to its trading power which is based on an impoverished and mistreated population and a corrupt government.

The UK has left, which is good for China and Russia. The USA sees the Euro as a threat, but they also see the EU as a powerful friend who with help them avoid a war on two fronts with China and Russia. Ideally, the USA would like to see a collapse of the Euro but the continued unification of Europe.

The EU is scary big and scary powerful to the other superpowers. That is a good thing for Europe

Shame we are no longer a part of guiding it.

Turkey is resource-rich, once it starts to exploit its shale gas reserves I can see a significant turnaround in its economy. It's still the largest agricultural producer in Europe and has significant reserves of Lignite and Iron Ore which again it has yet to properly exploit.

I personally believe had Turkey joined the EU in 2010 as planned, they would have received the infrastructure support and investment required to maximize its potential. It would have had a defense against the political attacks of both the USA and Russia and it would be a strong economy.

But they chose a different route and I believe this was hubris and has resulted in disaster

The UKs Brexit vote was a similar act of Hubris. The only question in my mind is, how bad will it get for us?

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Name a country that isn't plagued with crisis after crisis.

Then look at superpowers and the situation is magnified 10 fold

Then look at federal superpowers with power in member states/countries like the EU and USA and it's magnified yet again.

What you should be saying is, aren't the EU totally incredible for repeatedly managing the massive crisis they are faced with and bringing together 28 sovereign countries in line with a single unified future. That is an incredible achievement.

The EU is a beacon of hope against the tyranny of Russia, China and the USA

Together they are strong. Divided they are a bunch of second-rate countries with absolutely no hope of standing against the might of superpowers, condemned to hold on to the shirt tails of those with the real power.

The USA sees the Euro as a threat to the mighty dollar, Russia sees the EU as a threat to its ambitions, China sees the EU as a threat to its trading power which is based on an impoverished and mistreated population and a corrupt government.

The UK has left, which is good for China and Russia. The USA sees the Euro as a threat, but they also see the EU as a powerful friend who with help them avoid a war on two fronts with China and Russia. Ideally, the USA would like to see a collapse of the Euro but the continued unification of Europe.

The EU is scary big and scary powerful to the other superpowers. That is a good thing for Europe

Shame we are no longer a part of guiding it.

Turkey is resource-rich, once it starts to exploit its shale gas reserves I can see a significant turnaround in its economy. It's still the largest agricultural producer in Europe and has significant reserves of Lignite and Iron Ore which again it has yet to properly exploit.

I personally believe had Turkey joined the EU in 2010 as planned, they would have received the infrastructure support and investment required to maximize its potential. It would have had a defense against the political attacks of both the USA and Russia and it would be a strong economy.

But they chose a different route and I believe this was hubris and has resulted in disaster

The UKs Brexit vote was a similar act of Hubris. The only question in my mind is, how bad will it get for us?

“The EU is a beacon of hope”, you honestly think that? They couldn’t lay a confrontational glove on Russia, China or America, why? Because the EU is not even a country, it’s a partnership of 27 forever arguing over the same blanket.

Camden

Brexit going forward
“The EU is a beacon of hope”, you honestly think that? They couldn’t lay a confrontational glove on Russia, China or America, why? Because the EU is not even a country, it’s a partnership of 27 forever arguing over the same blanket.

It depends what you mean by "confrontational glove" .. There would be no need militarily, as article 5 the NATO option seems to be a deterrent military in regards Russia, China...... Nato another partnership of 30 nations, albeit not solely EU. Who at times t constantly at odds over "the same blanket" but seems responsible enough to work together to deter .

If you are defining the "confrontational glove" economically, well the EU, though unlikely to happen due to the equal retaliatory damage inflicted that would inflicted on the EU ... But hypothetically it could damage China and America with the EU being amongst the 3 largest global players in international trade. ................

As for the EU's European aggravator Russia, whose Economy is only approx on par with Italy ... Then yes it could easily and has used an economical "confrontational glove" with sanctions back in 2015 which damaged Russian gross domestic product (GDP) initially down by 1 to 1.5%, but the biggest impact of a United EU sanctions was actually a psychological one, with many international businesses avoiding Russia due to the EU's political sanctioning not wanting risk investing in Russia Also Russia was hit badly by sanctioned tech in Energy exploration and tool renewal.

Last edited:

Kanga

Brexit going forward
In theory, how could anyone declare war on the EU?Who would they declare it to?
Just asking (for a friend).

Camden

Brexit going forward
You will have to ask Chips? if his " lay a confrontational glove" means declaring war or what ? ...

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
In theory, how could anyone declare war on the EU?Who would they declare it to?
Just asking (for a friend).

Themselves on themselves seem to be doing just that. What are any of them 100% agreed upon.....I don’t think China, Russia, America looks at the EU as a threat to them in any shape or form. By the time the EU makes a decision, it’s already been done by someone else. That’s the difference, a country decides on its own, the EU decides using 27 or how many it takes to push ahead on something that not all 27 agree on.
Sanctions on Russia? Russia still exported over 130 billion $ worth into the EU in 2020.

Last edited:

Camden

Brexit going forward
Well the EU countries certainly 100% stuck to an agreed position not breaking ranks in the Brexit Negotiations, showing unity and thwarting the Brexiteers strategy on an expected break.

Last edited:

Bramidan

Brexit going forward
Depends on what you define as a threat. I personally believe as a trading bloc, maintaining standards of goods and looking after employees the EU is certainly a threat to other countries not being able to ride roughshod over poorer, smaller countries.
Bullied by China, USA and Russia trying to impose their will on a European trading block equal in size to them, I think not.
Still the mighty UK will stand up to all and sundry, except when there is a chance to grab a few bob.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Depends on what you define as a threat. I personally believe as a trading bloc, maintaining standards of goods and looking after employees the EU is certainly a threat to other countries not being able to ride roughshod over poorer, smaller countries.
Bullied by China, USA and Russia trying to impose their will on a European trading block equal in size to them, I think not.
Still the mighty UK will stand up to all and sundry, except when there is a chance to grab a few bob.
Do you honestly think workers Rights and working conditions in the UK are any different to those across the EU? There are hundreds of thousands of undocumented workers across the EU, they have the same problem as the UK, accept on a much bigger scale.
What a politician says over workers Rights etc is nowhere near the reality to what the situation is on the ground.
Governments/politicians, local authorities just turn a blind eye.

Bramidan

Brexit going forward
Your first sentence, no they should not be, I felt much happier when workers rights eg working hours were subject to EU regulations. I don't want to see a race to the bottom where workers suffer whilst the rich get richer.
The point that you seem to believe that everybody just turns a blind eye to workers rights is not a good reason just not to bother with directives and laws to protect people's rights.
Perhaps that is what you should be campaigning for, an adherence to laws relating to employment.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Your first sentence, no they should not be, I felt much happier when workers rights eg working hours were subject to EU regulations. I don't want to see a race to the bottom where workers suffer whilst the rich get richer.
The point that you seem to believe that everybody just turns a blind eye to workers rights is not a good reason just not to bother with directives and laws to protect people's rights.
Perhaps that is what you should be campaigning for, an adherence to laws relating to employment.

I think you read me wrong. My point was/is politicians are fully aware in what’s going on in all countries. They may stand up and say the right words but it’s a different ball game when it comes to actually taking action against it.
The Chinese cockle pickers who died in Morecambe was a prime example. Everyone knew all about them but did JS to stop it.
I know for a fact that France has a huge problem over abuse of workers and their Rights.
Spain was also highlighted a couple of years back over their polythene tunnels & the workers atrocious work and living conditions.

Spain's 'Sea of Plastic': Where Europe gets its produce, migrants get exploited | DW | 09.03.2019

Latest Posts

Top Bottom