bickern

Brexit going forward
Well, the UK is now in the departure lounge awaiting the big flight to ventures unknown in 12 months or so time. March will see the EU discussions taking place and therefore not a lot will be coming out of great value I suppose.

Discussions are already taking place regarding deals with the rest of the world so we also have to wait.

Brexiteers and Remainers are in the same camp now because Rejoiners are not even on the horizon so hopefully we can now give thoughts and opinions going forward together.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Top Poster Of Month
Brexit going forward
Brexit – What Next?

OK I’ll kick it off...

Have EU regulations impinged negatively on any members?

Or has Bickern beaten me to it?

Last edited:
Brexit going forward
Seems to me that Johnson is not just going to be rolled over by Barnier……...isn't it at this stage that those two words pop up? RED LINES

bickern

Brexit going forward
The strength of the British economy is defying predictions of post-Brexit doom.

Britain’s jobs miracle continues to astound. Anyone old enough to remember the recession of the early 1980s, when the numbers out of work rose above 3 million and unemployment became the dominant political issue, can only wonder at current trends.

Every quarter brings a new record. Despite sluggish economic growth, more than 200,000 new jobs were generated in the three months to November. Nor is this, as Labour used to claim, the result of zero hours contracts or part-time employment. Most of the new jobs are full-time, with a record number of women in the workforce pushing the employment rate to a new high of 76.3 per cent, though this increase is in part due to the change in women’s retirement age....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion...economy-defying-predictions-post-brexit-doom/

bickern

Brexit going forward
Britain flexed its muscles for the first time as an independent nation at the World Trade Organisation today as it looked to redefine itself on the global stage after Brexit.

The UK has always been a member of the WTO in its own right but while it was a member of the European Union it was represented in talks by the European Commission.

Having left the bloc on Friday last week the UK can now speak for itself at the organisation which regulates world trade.

The UK's ambassador to the WTO, Julian Braithwaite, addressed the body this morning in a moment described as 'historic' by the International Trade Secretary Liz Truss.

Mr Braithwaite's address came at a crucial time for the UK as it adapts to its new position outside the EU and after Boris Johnson and Michel Barnier put Britain and the bloc on a collision course.

Mr Johnson set out his approach to future partnership negotiations with the EU in a big speech yesterday as he said there was 'no need' for the UK to abide by Brussels rules after its departure.

But the EU's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier hit back as he suggested the UK government was acting in bad faith having previously agreed to ensuring there would remain a 'level playing field' on rules and regulations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ependent-nation-World-Trade-Organisation.html

bickern

Brexit going forward
withdrawal agreement with the European Union and an election victory that gave him an 80-seat majority in parliament. But while these events matter quite a bit for Mr Johnson and his political future, they did not make much of an impact on the British economy. Mr Johnson’s premiership rests on the nostalgia of Brexit; its true believers think they were better off in an imagined past, before Britain joined the European Community. They will keep backing the prime minister because he says that the trappings of that past can be restored, even without any economic benefit.

That explains why a big part of the story of Brexit is about fishing, farming and factories. Before the UK joined the common market, manufacturing employed about a third of the workforce. That figure has now shrunk to less than a tenth. Farmers and fishermen, who voted enthusiastically for Brexit, make up a tiny proportion of national income – 0.6% and less than 0.1% respectively. Almost all of the rest of us are working in the service sector – which takes in everything from law firms and media companies to cabs and hairdressing. Work has become more precarious, but disposable income, in real terms, is roughly double what it was before we entered Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...exit-trade-talks-to-diverge-or-not-to-diverge

bickern

Brexit going forward
Marine Le Pen on Saturday hailed Brexit as a "return to freedom," adding Britain's decision to cast off from the bloc was a "failure" for Brussels.

She said: "The United Kingdom has finally regained its freedom.

"Brexit is a terrifying failure for the European Union."

She added: “The UK has just slammed the door in the EU’s face!”

"We will find in the coming months and years that the British made the right decision; that their country will reap great benefits from Brexit.”

The EU, Ms Le Pen insisted, should focus on transforming itself into an “alliance of nations” in the wake of Brexit.

UK will come out on top in EU trade talks, business leader predicts ‘Very favourable!’

Brussels will bow down to Britain's demands for a post-Brexit trade deal, according to a business development leader that says the EU will offer the UK "a very favourable" deal.

Hilary Fordwich of the British-American Business Association said despite predicting a major clash between Prime Minister Boris Johnson and EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier, the UK will succeed in getting an impressive deal.

Ms Fordwich told Russia Today, Brexit will inspire the Dutch to have their own Nexit, and then Swexit because the Swedish would leave.

Ms Fordwich continued that that “one of the sticking points, ironically, is a very small issue in terms of trade across the EU, and that are fishing rights”.

She added: “So, I think the UK is going to get a very favorable deal because this isn’t the only issue at hand. The deal with Trump is very much at hand.”

C&P from Express

Brexit going forward
Marine Le Pen on Saturday hailed Brexit as a "return to freedom," adding Britain's decision to cast off from the bloc was a "failure" for Brussels.

She said: "The United Kingdom has finally regained its freedom.

"Brexit is a terrifying failure for the European Union."

She added: “The UK has just slammed the door in the EU’s face!”

"We will find in the coming months and years that the British made the right decision; that their country will reap great benefits from Brexit.”

The EU, Ms Le Pen insisted, should focus on transforming itself into an “alliance of nations” in the wake of Brexit.

UK will come out on top in EU trade talks, business leader predicts ‘Very favourable!’

Brussels will bow down to Britain's demands for a post-Brexit trade deal, according to a business development leader that says the EU will offer the UK "a very favourable" deal.

Hilary Fordwich of the British-American Business Association said despite predicting a major clash between Prime Minister Boris Johnson and EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier, the UK will succeed in getting an impressive deal.

Ms Fordwich told Russia Today, Brexit will inspire the Dutch to have their own Nexit, and then Swexit because the Swedish would leave.

Ms Fordwich continued that that “one of the sticking points, ironically, is a very small issue in terms of trade across the EU, and that are fishing rights”.

She added: “So, I think the UK is going to get a very favorable deal because this isn’t the only issue at hand. The deal with Trump is very much at hand.”

C&P from Express

I was only ever concerned about the UK leaving, each to their own when it comes to the other member states. What kind of a deal (if any) happens could be a deciding factor for some member states.

Efesake

Brexit going forward
Brexit what now to Brexit going forward is like stopping a stampeding elephant with an extended roll off toilet paper across its path....nice try tho😃

Camden

Brexit going forward
We do need someone strong at the helm during these negotiations and to be honest Boris has my vote on it at the moment. (I never thought I would say that about Boris), so I await to see if he back pedals.

Well sorry Norman your confidence in Boris may be misplaced according to one of his own self appointed President of the COP after having worked alongside him ... both on his leadership and importantly honesty (what a surprise)... LOL

Boris ...appointed COP President the ex energy minister Claire Perry O'Neil position was rescinded (sacked) by telephone courtesy of Dominic Cummings

Ms O'Neil Speaking on the BBC, said of Boris "accusing Johnson of showing a lack of leadership".

saying 'Our efforts right now are somewhere around the middle of League One. We are playing at Oxford United levels ( didn't they lose tonight) when we need to be Liverpool if we are going to do what the world actually needs us to do.'

Of the Prime Minister, Ms O'Neill said: 'My advice to anybody to whom Boris is making promises - whether it is voters, world leaders, ministers, employees or indeed to family members - is to get it in writing, get a lawyer to look at it and make sure the money is in the bank.'

Not a particularly ringing endorsement of his Leader.ship style....LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

bickern

Brexit going forward
I don't think anybody will trust Boris on anything Camden, bearing in mind his reputation for deceit, but hopefully his charisma will pull things off, or whatever it is that he uses to get things done.

bickern

Brexit going forward
Re: Donald Trump

Bear in mind how people said he wouldn't do this or that, or he wouldn't get this or that, and guess what?

I think the EU are taking him very seriously, as are others.

Who would have thought he would have turned voters in my back door, certainly not me that's for sure.

This is a guy that was London Mayor and now PM.

As CV's go, his is not too bad I have to say.

BWAAAAAHAAAAA! Could I end up being a Boris fan?

Kanga

Brexit going forward
Venture capital is available in UK from private investment houses, and you can get 30% tax relief against income tax (not capital gains tax) I've held VC trust since 07 and had some very good dividends which are also tax free. AS I dont need the income they are automatically reinvested for more shares and offset against my tax bill.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom