Jaycey

African Refugee
Boris
U.K. Foreign Secretary Johnson To Visit Russia In Coming Weeks

“U.K. officials say Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson will visit Russia in the coming weeks, but they said he would not drop his tough line on Moscow’s involvement in Syria and Ukraine…

Johnson has regularly criticized Russia, particularly over its support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is supported by Moscow.

Johnson has also opposed easing of sanctions against Russia for its illegal annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region and its support of separatists in eastern Ukraine.”

U.K. Foreign Secretary Johnson To Visit Russia In Coming Weeks

117fkm8.jpg

I confess that my opinion of BJ has gone up somewhat after reading some of his comments…

“Crime has been falling steadily both in London and in New York - and the only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump.”

(But DT in NY? Never mind).

But if BJ’s visit is not for reasons of rapprochement then imo it can only further sour UK/Russian relations and poses many questions…

1. Is he a suitable candidate to represent UK overseas?
2. Is this going to be another Chamberlain fiasco?
3. Will Putin eat him for breakfast?
4. What do other members think about this?
5. Is he likely to get a haircut before he goes? :)

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Boris
He was never the right choice for FM. he has a similar way to DT of speaking his mind just to get an effect and then thinking about it later. One example is his very undiplomatic poem about the Turkish leader.

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Noted BJs stance with Russia over Syria & Ukraine has not changed. The EU is starting to twig that it needs Russian assistance over some issues............Libya for starters.

eliza

Boris
BJ uses his somewhat outrageous exterior and sometimes tactless remarks to make us feel his is an idiot and disarm the opposition ... but in fact there is a pretty incisive brain in there. When lhe then says things which are not as extreme as people might have thought, it is easier for him to get agreement. He is also extremely charming. If any negotiations were becoming acrimonious, be could act daft and get out of it that way. He is just the right person to go to Russia because his grandfather was Russian and he can play on that. I have quite an admiration for Boris, and I am sure his trip will be a success.

Saoirse

Boris
Boris is the total epitome of chinless wonder privileged careerist opportunist politicians.

If it suited his personal ambitions and selfish ego to about-turn on any issue he would do it in a heartbeat

His "disgust" at "evil regime" in Syria contrasting with his nauseating brown nosing to the Saudis is one of many examples of how shallow and self serving he is

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Boris is the total epitome of chinless wonder privileged careerist opportunist politicians.

If it suited his personal ambitions and selfish ego to about-turn on any issue he would do it in a heartbeat

His "disgust" at "evil regime" in Syria contrasting with his nauseating brown nosing to the Saudis is one of many examples of how shallow and self serving he is

That could cover many politicans, especially when it comes to Saudi.

Saoirse

Boris
Not quite in the obvious self serving ways of Boris!!!

You should know better Spurs as his almost comical about face turns on Brexit were particularly cringeworthy

Jaycey

African Refugee
Boris
BJ uses his somewhat outrageous exterior and sometimes tactless remarks to make us feel his is an idiot and disarm the opposition ...

But does this give him the required respect of other international leaders :hmm:

My guess is that he won’t meet Putin and that he’ll be stuck with Lavrov.

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Not quite in the obvious self serving ways of Boris!!!

You should know better Spurs as his almost comical about face turns on Brexit were particularly cringeworthy

Well IMO most are of the same ilk, its only the fact of BJs position that he gets highlighted. I'm not really bothered on how he is, its results that count.
BJ & others from everywhere will continue to deal with Russia/Putin because there's no alternative. How many visits did John Kerry make to Moscow & what did he achieve? Everyone is looking to calm the situation down.

Saoirse

Boris
You surprise me Spurs

I thought you would have been totally opposed to the "careerist privileged establishment knows best" types -over the ordinary man in the street

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
You surprise me Spurs

I thought you would have been totally opposed to the "careerist privileged establishment knows best" types -over the ordinary man in the street

You have to deal with what you've got. There's very few Conservative MPs who truly know anything about the man on the street, unfortunately over the last few years Labour MPs are moving towards the same position............its exactly as you say, "careerist".

bickern

Boris
Well when a guy who is a committed Tory makes out he is favourable to the SDP to get elected to the Oxford Union it does set a tone.

I like the guy I have to admit and most who know him (I don't) seem to, even when he insults them. I did cringe when he was made FM but perhaps TM knows the guy better and relies on him disarming detractors. If he charms Putin then so be it, lets face it good old Trump seems to be having dialog.

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Well when a guy who is a committed Tory makes out he is favourable to the SDP to get elected to the Oxford Union it does set a tone.

I like the guy I have to admit and most who know him (I don't) seem to, even when he insults them. I did cringe when he was made FM but perhaps TM knows the guy better and relies on him disarming detractors. If he charms Putin then so be it, lets face it good old Trump seems to be having dialog.

I only by chance read this morning that Putin had threatened to level the Kingdom of Saudi & put them all back in tents. Who knows perhaps he can convert BJ. :hmm:

Boris

Saoirse- I am no Tory but your comment re Saudis would apply to all Boris's predecessors (and their bosses) in my voting lifetime - irrespective of what govt was in power. When trade is the be all and end all - then morals and ethics fly out the window. In a painful interview with Jon Snow just prior to his downfall I heard David Cameron squirm and dodge questions around UK policy with the Saudis. Eventually he got so brassed off with the persistent grilling that he blurted out that the main justification for close links with such a heinous dictatorship was " security- the Saudis are so important to UK intelligence services re the Middle Eastern terrorist threat". The irony lies in the fact that the Saudis are and have been prolific exporters and funders of Islamic terrorism.

Last edited:

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Saoirse- I am no Tory but your comment re Saudis would apply to all Boris's predecessors (and their bosses) in my voting lifetime - irrespective of what govt was in power. When trade is the be all and end all - then morals and ethics fly out the window. In a painful interview with Jon Snow just prior to his downfall I heard David Cameron squirm and dodge questions around UK policy with the Saudis. Eventually he got so brasses off with the persistent grilling that the main justification for close links with such a heinous dictatorship was " security- the Saudis are so important to UK intelligence services re terrorist threat". The irony lies in the fact that the Saudis are and have been prolific in sponsoring Islamic terrorism.

The same applies to Russia, it currently supplies 34% of the EUs energy needs, the EU wants to continue to burn the gas & not the supplier. Seems every country that holds oil/gas is either a target by the West or one hell of a devious "friend".

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Boris
It nauseates me how for years British politicians have bent over backwards to Saudi, maybe BJ will take a different position to Saudi leaders (pun intended).

Spurs

Spurs
Boris
Saudi one of the biggest oil producers in the world, America this biggest user.........what happens when it runs out? Cold turkey.

eliza

Boris

And your evidence for this is .... ? Like it or not, he was a great mayor of London and made a fantastic job of the Olympics, a project which required huge logistics skill and attention to detail ... maybe he delegated the tasks, but being able to choose the right people is also a demonstration of intelligence!

Personally I am not keen on privileged sociatlists who have a lifestyle much better than most of us can afford, you know who you are!!

eliza

Boris
Saoirse- I am no Tory but your comment re Saudis would apply to all Boris's predecessors (and their bosses) in my voting lifetime - irrespective of what govt was in power. When trade is the be all and end all - then morals and ethics fly out the window. In a painful interview with Jon Snow just prior to his downfall I heard David Cameron squirm and dodge questions around UK policy with the Saudis. Eventually he got so brassed off with the persistent grilling that he blurted out that the main justification for close links with such a heinous dictatorship was " security- the Saudis are so important to UK intelligence services re the Middle Eastern terrorist threat". The irony lies in the fact that the Saudis are and have been prolific exporters and funders of Islamic terrorism.
And so- even with gritted teeth it is correct to remain friends with the Saudis as they are our chief ally in that area of the world and the security of the British people is paramount

Latest Posts

Top Bottom