Kanga

Boris - Tories - What now?
By Christopher 'Chopper' Hope,
ASSOCIATE EDITOR (POLITICS)
Afternoon!

Has Dominic Cummings overplayed his hand? The former chief adviser promised in his latest blog that he and other eyewitnesses were prepared to swear under oath that the Prime Minister had "lied to Parliament about parties" at Number 10.

The former chief aide to Mr Johnson, who departed in November 2020, also alleged that there are "many other photos of parties after I left yet to appear".

And - perhaps most damagingly - Cummings suggested he would publish the rest of what he has after the ongoing inquiry by Sue Gray is concluded, which will most probably be next week.

Cummings is effectively asking MPs to choose between him and the Prime Minister, which will actually work in Johnson's favour. Conservative MPs are nothing if not tribal. One former Tory Government minister told me this morning: "MPs won’t like to feel they're puppets on a string."

The PM hit back this lunchtime telling the TV cameras: "I can tell you categorically, categorically that nobody told me.

"Nobody said that this was something that was against the rules, a breach of the Covid rules or we were doing something that wasn't a work event."

He also confirmed he had been interviewed by Gray: "I do humbly apologise to people for misjudgments that were made.

"But that is the very, very best of my recollection about this event. That's what I've said to the inquiry."

Johnson's position even won some backhanded support from Dave Penman, the general secretary of the First Division Association which represents top grade civil servants, who said today that the battle was beginning to resemble a fight between a divorced couple.

He said: "The difficulty is with this kind of claim and counter-claim and qualified defence it feels like a bitter divorce and the Government and the civil service are the kids caught in the crossfire.

"There's no doubt that it's damaging to the reputation of the Prime Minister but it's also starting to damage the reputation of the civil service and Government. And we really need to conclude this affair one way or another as quickly as possible."

It really is Johnson vs Cummings, like some ghastly divorce case.

Dominic Raab, the Deputy Prime Minister, made the same point, describing it as a "soap opera".

He said: "Forgive me if I don’t get drawn into the soap opera of what one or other claim has been made."

I was interested to hear Raab distance himself from the to and fro between Johnson and Cummings in his interview on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, asserting simply that "they" [ie Number 10] have made clear that the PM was not warned in advance about the May 20 party.

Although MPs are holding off from passing verdict on the controversy until Sue Gray's report is published, the view is one of optimism in Number 10.

A source told us: "I can’t stress enough how serious the view is that they’ll ride this out. They really do believe it will all blow over - that he’ll have a rough Prime Minister’s Questions this week, but once the report comes out it will exonerate him and they’ll never have to worry about this again."

The hope is that the Government's new "populist agenda will do them a favour".

The source added: "People forgot about scotch eggs and the six-person rule, so they think they’ll forget about this.

"There doesn’t seem to be any emotion about the issue, it’s all about winning the next election and they’re of the view they can do that with Boris at Number 10."

Cummings's biggest weapon is more evidence - emails to the PM in advance of the party and photos of the PM drinking a beer in the garden when the rest of us were locked down.

Yesterday, Cummings even 'liked' a tweet from Adam Langleben that said: "I reckon Dominic Cummings has set up a war room in his lounge."

But without further hard evidence from Cummings, and if Gray's report finds nothing incriminating about the Prime Minister, MPs will be faced with a choice of believing Cummings or Johnson.

And, like in a divorce when families circle the wagons around one of their own, they are likely to give Johnson one more chance. This time, at least.

Cheerio!

Chopper

Camden

@SkyN
Boris Johnson says 'nobody told me' No 10 lockdown garden party was against the rules.

# Nobody told me that comparing Muslim women to letterboxes is not right
# Nobody told me referring to black people as piccaninnies with watermelon smiles was racist.

# Nobody told me I need to breath in and out to live
# Nobody told me not to jump off the cliff
# Nobody told me that water is wet
# Nobody told me not to rob banks

# Nobody told me Brexit was going to be a disaster

# Nobody told me I’ve been walking around like this
FJZd-QWTWUAELjz-Y.jpg

# No one told me I am not allowed to do this
FJZUj8v-Xo-A4na-Cq.jpg

You are all to blame ,you didn't tell him ...

juco

It could be though that Cummings is waiting to see if Gray covers for Johnson and then he will produce hard evidence that will contradict both of them, which would further damage the party.
If Cummings produces evidence in advance of the findings Gray then has the opportunity to fabricate wiggle room for Boris.

Camden

As said the last time you put up a similar piece and the same video #3,001 ( may be handy knowing the countdown ) but more like a distraction away from " Partygate" ? or possibly in some fashion trying to claim credit for the Tories again ? .....for what is a belated "Victims Bill ", Belated due to a broken Tory manifesto promise, and again due to lack of support by the Tories in 2015 , and 2021 for Labour private members bills.

Better late than never for the Tories ... all credit should go to both The Shadow Justice Secretary, David Lammy MP, and the Shadow Minister for Victims Peter Kyle MP in persistently harassing Tory Govts on introducing a Victim's Bill and in never relenting in pushing the Tories on the promise they made way back in 2015 in Cameron's manifesto but which they consistently failed to deliver.

There was plenty of opportunity but ignored by the Tories, the last chance was back in February 2021 when Labour MP Peter Kyle introduced his Ten Minute Rule that set out provisions to put victims’ rights on a statutory footing, as well adding new protections for victims of crime and persistent, unresolved anti-social behaviour. This would have built on Keir Starmer MP’s own Private Members’ Bill on a Victims’ Law in 2015. But was delayed and was never given Tory support for it to be passed.

Last edited:

Mushroom

It could be though that Cummings is waiting to see if Gray covers for Johnson and then he will produce hard evidence that will contradict both of them, which would further damage the party.
If Cummings produces evidence in advance of the findings Gray then has the opportunity to fabricate wiggle room for Boris.
Just accept that Cummings is a chess player in the world of politics and Boris is a draught player.
One is a strategist, the other a bumbling Eton boy who believes that he can get away with anything but does not plan and relies on others to do his work for him reacting to sound bites and polls.
I know where my bet would be going.
Cummings has most likely saved the best til last.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Last time Cummings sat in front of a select committee and said he had evidence he would provide to the committee to back up what he said.

He never provided it.

Wouldn't put it past him to lie under oath.....he has an axe to grind.

Camden

Indicative of the Johnsons lack of management skills, as seen in his judgement on Staff. Allowing a person with Cummings character into the heart of the Government and advising on National Policy ...even allowing this unelected advisor to use No 10 own rose garden to hold his own press conference. A bit late in asking us now not to believe him...

P. S. I wonder if the person who suggested the dislike button, it was for his own personal use , when unable to answer ...as could be wrong but haven't seen anyone else use it as much ...

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Indicative of the Johnsons lack of management skills, as seen in his judgement on Staff. Allowing a person with Cummings character into the heart of the Government and advising on National Policy ...even allowing this unelected advisor to use No 10 own rose garden to hold his own press conference. A bit late in asking us now not to believe him...

P. S. I wonder if the person who suggested the dislike button, it was for his own personal use , when unable to answer ...as could be wrong but haven't seen anyone else use it as much ...

Let me tell you why I disliked your post Camden.

But first, the dislike button is available for everyone to use, use it or not is your choice.
Yes I suggested it......if you want it removed I suggest you start a 'poll'.
It was a group (Admin and mods) decision to implement it, as I have already informed you in other posts.
If you do start a poll then it will also be a group (Admin and mods) decision to respect the result (or not) of that poll.

My post was a positive post regarding the consultation on victims law.
Your response was basically to discount it with the petty Partgate comment which had zero relevance.

Another reason to dislike your post was your inclusion of David Lammy.
Any respect I had for him disappeared when he came out with "the world does not need any more white saviours" towards Stacey Dooley and the video for the Comic Relief charity (which FYI he laughed off claims he is to blame for an £8 million drop in donations).
IMO the guy is a racist tw@t.

I don't think it would matter what positive things the government do, you will simple come along and dismiss it as you have done previously.

So did I dislike your reply.......yes I did.
You want to dislike this reply, be my guest.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Cummings was cast out in order to ease the pressure on Bojo the Lying Clown , i would hold fire Tenpin , Cummings clearly is holding fire for the coup de grace . Revenge is best served cold , Cummings is passing rope to Bojo's lying cabinet friends , probably take the whole cabal alongside Bojo the Lying clown. Fingers crossed , eh!
Steve

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
That's exactly how I see it, let him have enough rope first.

Mushroom

With CPI hitting 5.4% and still going up, hopefully interest rates will rise next month.
To follow - higher energy bills from April.
As wage increases have been swallowed up by inflation, mortgages are set to rise or become less available with the knock on effect to construction and house sales, it is those elements that usually lead to voter disaffection for the party in charge.
Add partygate to the mix and more from Cummings and I would anticipate Rishi measuring up for new curtains at number 10 by spring.

Kanga

@SkyN
Boris Johnson says 'nobody told me' No 10 lockdown garden party was against the rules.

# Nobody told me that comparing Muslim women to letterboxes is not right
# Nobody told me referring to black people as piccaninnies with watermelon smiles was racist.

# Nobody told me I need to breath in and out to live
# Nobody told me not to jump off the cliff
# Nobody told me that water is wet
# Nobody told me not to rob banks

# Nobody told me Brexit was going to be a disaster

# Nobody told me I’ve been walking around like this
View attachment 25869

# No one told me I am not allowed to do this
View attachment 25871

You are all to blame ,you didn't tell him ...
Typical nanny-raised mummy's boy. He should remember that when you point a finger at someone else there are still 3 pointing back at you.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom