35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Boris - Tories - What now?
The problem is if I may be so bold
I
I base my opinion on something you simply know nothing about- they're called facts

In the past 50 years when has England elected anything other than centre/ centre right government!!!!

Facts Philip? So how did those facts work out on the referendum.....they didn’t.
There you had the so called left and right vote to leave the EU & the only response was, “people didn’t know what they were voting for”.
I’ve never looked at people being left or right, simply because what works for me in my life, my trade, might not work for the fella down the road leading a different lifestyle & in a different trade.
The Midlands was a stronghold for Labour back in the day & IMO people came to realise way before Corbyn that Labour and the unions just wasn’t looking after their interests. It didn’t matter what Party was in power, the Labour Party became more and more London centralised, nothing to do with left or right.....more a case of WTF am I doing paying subs into unions, who then subsidies the Labour Party. That’s apart from the fact how these Union barons were living.
Labour may well have the same so called values of bygone times BUT never get implementing them nationally or even locally.
I could tell you all how it used to be around here. If you wasn’t already in a union, some places would even give you an interview. Me and my mates used to take the piss out of some of our mates. They’d go and a couple of quid at one of the designated union offices, go for the interview then guess what.......they never got the job.
Even on Land Rover shutdowns, my workforce couldn’t get on site to earn a crust.

Ian2006

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Whilst this man is still the “kingmaker” - there is no future for the Labour Party. The article is a year old but still worth a read.

Ian we had it here years back, activists/sh1tstirrers looking for something, anything to pull people off site. Their bills got paid, ours never did. I went through a phase of not tendering for contracts where unions had a stronghold in the company.......you never knew what would happen in a weeks time & yes, it really was like that.
I’m all for what unions supposedly stand for but not how they perform.

Saoirse

The problem is if I may be so bold

Facts Philip? So how did those facts work out on the referendum.....they didn’t.
There you had the so called left and right vote to leave the EU & the only response was, “people didn’t know what they were voting for”.
I’ve never looked at people being left or right, simply because what works for me in my life, my trade, might not work for the fella down the road leading a different lifestyle & in a different trade.
The Midlands was a stronghold for Labour back in the day & IMO people came to realise way before Corbyn that Labour and the unions just wasn’t looking after their interests. It didn’t matter what Party was in power, the Labour Party became more and more London centralised, nothing to do with left or right.....more a case of WTF am I doing paying subs into unions, who then subsidies the Labour Party. That’s apart from the fact how these Union barons were living.
Labour may well have the same so called values of bygone times BUT never get implementing them nationally or even locally.
I could tell you all how it used to be around here. If you wasn’t already in a union, some places would even give you an interview. Me and my mates used to take the piss out of some of our mates. They’d go and a couple of quid at one of the designated union offices, go for the interview then guess what.......they never got the job.
Even on Land Rover shutdowns, my workforce couldn’t get on site to earn a crust.

For once could you read a post before replying

My post and point was re the electorate and the government they elect not Brexit

Now go back read it again and show me where I am wrong in my view that the English electorate is centre/ centre right proven by the vast majority of administrations they have elected in past 50 years

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Ian we had it here years back, activists/sh1tstirrers looking for something, anything to pull people off site. Their bills got paid, ours never did. I went through a phase of not tendering for contracts where unions had a stronghold in the company.......you never knew what would happen in a weeks time & yes, it really was like that.
I’m all for what unions supposedly stand for but not how they perform.
Blame the Unions , not the Companies that employ their members , as always poor management is at the helm and as usual british management fails abysmally .
Steve

Camden

More Tory Sleaze ...helping their sex offender friends...If this was me or you in trying to influence a legal case we would be seeing criminal charges for Case Tampering . They get a one day holiday from work...

And makes a Mockery Priti Patel's policy when admitted that she has felt unsafe on Britain’s streets as she told MPs that almost 78,000 women have responded to a survey sharing their experience of male violence and harassment.

In a Commons statement, she said the “heartache” over Sarah Everard’s killing could be summed up in just five words: “She was only walking home.”
Ms Patel also said: “Accounts shared online in the wake of Sarah’s disappearance are so powerful because every single one of us can relate to them.
“Too many of us have walked home from school or work alone only to hear footsteps uncomfortably close behind us. Too many of us have pretended to be on the phone to a friend to scare someone off.

“Too many of us have clutched our keys in our fist in case we need to defend ourselves and that is not OK.

“Women and girls must feel safe whilst walking our streets. That is why we have continued to take action.”

Then we see them interfere with the law to get their own fellow sexual predator colleague off the hook

Five Tory MPs breached code of conduct over sex offender MP Charlie Elphicke​

Five Tory MPs breached the code of conduct over an "egregious" attempt to influence a former colleague's legal proceedings, the Commons Standards Committee has found.

Theresa Villiers, Natalie Elphicke, Sir Roger Gale, Adam Holloway and Bob Stewart were found to have fallen foul of the rules by seeking to interfere in a legal decision regarding ex-MP Charlie Elphicke.

The committee said former environment secretary Ms Villiers, senior Conservative Sir Roger, and Ms Elphicke should all be suspended from the House for one day, while all five were told to apologise.

Camden

How often do you break the official secrets act?

The Change to law would remove any defence for reporters handed leaked documents ,tapes and CCTV etc if the rules were in place now.

We the public, may never have seen the Hancock Tapes .. And it could have led to the prosecution of the journalists who revealed Hancock was breaking Covid rules by his affair with his married aide because it relied on CCTV taken from a Govt building

That CCTV could be seen as a breach of the Official Secrets Act and cited not in the public interest to be seen, having being obtained by access to a protected Govt Area .

Since there has been many allegations regarding the misuse of public funds by this Government it is important to have transparency and accountability at the very heart of Government power. A public interest defence via Journalists and whistleblowers +documents evidence inc CCTV given to Journalists should be seen as an essential and defended in a Democracy, it is now at risk ...in these Tory proposals

Last edited:

juco

How often do you break the official secrets act?
Although proposed under the official secrets act the key wording is `embarrassing the government` which is vague and could apply to anyone and not necessarily breaking the official secrets act, it will start with journalists and then it will be u Tubers, Twitter, Facebook etc.

Mushroom

Not forgetting that if this were to become law, it would be for the government of the day to implement. 'Public Interest' would be determined by the government, not the courts and I would not expect it ever to be overturned by any future government.

juco

Not forgetting that if this were to become law, it would be for the government of the day to implement. 'Public Interest' would be determined by the government, not the courts and I would not expect it ever to be overturned by any future government.
What worries me is that although some laws may have merit they then start to expand on them at a later date.
We had `tasers` to be used as a last resort but are now used common place for anything but a last resort.
The terrorism act is now applied everyday for non terrorist activities under the guise of `we suspect you of acting suspiciously` even when doing lawful activities.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
For once could you read a post before replying

My post and point was re the electorate and the government they elect not Brexit

Now go back read it again and show me where I am wrong in my view that the English electorate is centre/ centre right proven by the vast majority of administrations they have elected in past 50 years

I’m not concerned with the last 50 years, it’s the here and now that I look at.
You can label Parties and people but it certainly never worked in the referendum, because it was the so called left and right coming together that won the day.
My beef is because I vote Conservative doesn’t make me a right winger, it makes me exactly what most of us are......voters.
Voting Conservative doesn’t make people racists, just like voting Labour doesn’t make a person anti Jewish BUT once left and right are then brought into it, the labels come out.
BTW, I do read posts before replying.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom