immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Boilers in Turkey
I see a few oil fired boilers around - not many. Others I have seen are gas and I think they are more common in the cities that have piped gas supplies rather than bottled.

Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Boilers in Turkey
Depends on the area.

As immac says, in cities that have piped gas many homes have gas boilers. Istanbul and Malatya for instance.

We've got gas central heating that runs on bottled gas and I know of 2 houses in Ovacik that have diesel powered boilers.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Boilers in Turkey
have you any details of running costs kkob our place is fully plumbed for central heating so was thinking about it. Do you have one of those big cylinders outside?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Boilers in Turkey
Well, we haven't run our gas central heating for 4 years, it's just too expensive. When we first came out here it cost us 25 TL a day to run it at it's minimum setting. With the increases in gas prices over the years, I've calculated that it would now cost 55 TL a day to run. Our gas comes in the large silver cylinders.

Karyn UK

Boilers in Turkey
I have a condensing combi boiler running on LPG, I only use it for hot water as I am lazy and never got round to installing the radiators, and I have used one bottle of propane in two and half years so thats pretty efficient - house has three bathrooms including one with a two metre tub so I go through a fair bit of hot water.

Karyn

Ian

Boilers in Turkey
Completely random question but if a property comes with a boiler are they generally gas boilers or electric? And if gas, do these need servising yearly as they do in the UK? Are they usually run from a mains connection or bottled gas?

I know ive seen properties advertised with boilers and I've stayed in an apartment with a boiler but I've no idea how they work and whether they are the same as the UK.

We have had a nastly leak from our boiler at home and Ive also read of carbon monoxide poisonings in Greece over the last few years so thought I'd ask. Thanks

Most just drop a thermostat element into the water tank and have a cable run into the house for on and off, more like your immersion heater back in the UK, I've had one for years ( don't need it in summer ) but in winter it's a must.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Boilers in Turkey
Well, we haven't run our gas central heating for 4 years, it's just too expensive. When we first came out here it cost us 25 TL a day to run it at it's minimum setting. With the increases in gas prices over the years, I've calculated that it would now cost 55 TL a day to run. Our gas comes in the large silver cylinders.

Ouch!!!!!!

matty

Boilers in Turkey
There is a guy on the main road out of Ortaca that we spoke to in January of this year, when we enquired about renewing our old diesel system! He informed us that there was a new hybrid electric system, that would be a lot more efficient than any other system! At the time of our enquiry he could not give us a quote as he was waiting for price list.

Last edited:

pldouglas

Boilers in Turkey
I have concerns, in fact grave concerns and probable nightmares at the thought of the average Turkish maintenance person installing or 'fixing' anything mains gas. In fact I didn't know there was mains gas there and wonder how they haven't managed to blow themselves up altogether!

Top Bottom