immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Bnk Acc Nos Changing
Just had a monthly email from Garanti Bank, part of which is copied below:

All bank account numbers are being converted into IBAN!

All bank account numbers in Turkey are being converted into International Bank Account Number (IBAN). Pursuant to the recent declaration of the Turkish Central Bank, IBAN which is currently being used only in foreign money transfers (SWIFT) is required to be mandatory in all domestic transactions (EFT) as of 01.01.2010, and is going to be used visually on the receipts issued for remittances and transfers within the same Branches.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Bnk Acc Nos Changing
Yep, you better sign all your money over to me for safe keeping. :wink:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Bnk Acc Nos Changing
Do we have to do anything??
Well, if it is like most official things here, there will be a whole load of things we must do, but nobody will tell you until after the deadline, by which time you will have incurred a fine for not doing what you did not know you had to do!

Ian

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Bnk Acc Nos Changing
Well, if it is like most official things here, there will be a whole load of things we must do, but nobody will tell you until after the deadline, by which time you will have incurred a fine for not doing what you did not know you had to do!

Ian

I find that very hard to believe Ian - you know fine well that the Turkish authorities are amongst the best in the world at keeping you fully informed of changes and proposed changes....:77wu:

C

ChrisBobs

Bnk Acc Nos Changing
You will find most recently opened accounts ( last 5 years?) have IBAN numbers already. Check your account on-line and if not there , ask for your number..thats all

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Bnk Acc Nos Changing
You will find most recently opened accounts ( last 5 years?) have IBAN numbers already. Check your account on-line and if not there , ask for your number..thats all

My understanding of this is that your old number will be changed to your İban no, so there will be only one number.

Ian

ChrisBobs

Bnk Acc Nos Changing
My understanding of this is that your old number will be changed to your İban no, so there will be only one number.

Ian

That is right, I have had IBAN numbers for a while - and the 5 or 6 digit account numbers are included at the tail end of the 14 ( or so?!) digit number that is the IBAN number.
:D

Akbuk Rob

Bnk Acc Nos Changing
IBAN stands for International Bank Account Number. An IBAN is not a new account number, but simply a new format for an existing bank account number that will be recognised internationally. It has been developed by the European Committee for Banking Standards to improve the efficiency of cross-border payments with regard to speed, quality and cost.

The IBAN is being introduced in Europe to facilitate the automatic processing of cross-border payments. IBAN’s include all the necessary details for a receiving bank to apply the payment directly to a beneficiary's bank account without any manual intervention. An IBAN contains information relating to the country, bank and branch of the beneficiary as well as the account number itself.

A comparison with a telephone number can help illustrate this. For local calls the basic phone number is sufficient, for international calls the country and area code are required. Similarly with payments, the basic account number can be used domestically, but the IBAN should be used for international payments.

Source - bankofireland.com

And no, you do not have to do anything yourselves. Your account no’s will remain the same but will now include the country code, branch code etc, so the numbers will be longer.

They usually have two tellers in my local bank, except when it's very busy, then they have one. :roundgrin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom