Mushtaq

Administrator
Blood Donors in Turkey?
It was suggested that maybe we should have a section for blood donors by area, is this something that could be useful, are there many potential donors in our membership, and what's the procedure in Turkey for blood donors?

Harem

I've cliqued
Blood Donors in Turkey?
As I understand it, if a person needs blood they are given a unit from the devlet hospital, but they have to produce someone to replenish the stock.

Yesterday an acquaintance was asking for someone to give blood for her husband. I was willing, but I could not make contact on the telephone number she gave. I thought it might be a good idea if there was a list of persons willing to give blood with their blood group and somone with the same blood group could contact that person and make a note of telephone numbers in case of a need for blood.

Blimey, what a convoluted way of putting it, but hope you can understand what I mean!!!!!!!!

Tess

Blood Donors in Turkey?
I was always a blood donor in N I, I am O neg so was always in demand, however due to having a blood transfusion in 1997 I am no longer eligible to donate my blood!! I have to say I was disappointed I could no longer be a doner but I'm positive it is for the right reasons!!

Karyn UK

Blood Donors in Turkey?
Yesterday an acquaintance was asking for someone to give blood for her husband. I was willing, but I could not make contact on the telephone number she gave. I thought it might be a good idea if there was a list of persons willing to give blood with their blood group and somone with the same blood group could contact that person and make a note of telephone numbers in case of a need for blood.

I thought this was a brilliant idea when I saw it on Facebook and when I saw Mushtaq's original post, but it seems there are issues around foreigners giving blood....either it is something to do with there only being one official source to buy blood from in Turkey or something to do with human form CJD in the UK...I'm trying to look into it at the moment.

Karyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Blood Donors in Turkey?
Nice idea but not possible here Im afraid as I found out Christmas Day when the story was on the front page of Sabah!

WIT had been on a health scanning trip to Aydin and one of the reporters for some reason announced that we had been to Kizilayi (Turkish Red Cross) and had been refused.

The story escalated as reporters were pointed in the direction of "The Head of the Foreigners Resident Association" here who allegedly said this was racist! (this she later denied) Hürriyet English

There was a great big hoo ha about it all and although we (WIT) contacted Kizilay to try to mend fences, we were told that the issue was now resting with the Govenment Health Minister. At the end of it all, the reason given was the UK epidemic of CJD.

If you read this weeks article in Voices, you will see that we had to go and buy blood from Aydin for Dave the Bus.

I personally feel, this issue should be left alone and let them get round to it in their own time.

lara

Blood Donors in Turkey?
Three years ago I was in the position of having to have a blood transfusion.
I needed seven units of blood and my husband had to basically round up our friends and neighbours who were eligible to donate.

The cost of testing the blood was quite expensive.

I had the transfusion in Ahu Hetmen hospital in Marmaris.

I think the idea of a list of donors is really good, its not something you think about until you need it and obviously its just taken for granted in the UK that blood is available 24/7.

All of my donors were Turkish.

It would be an idea if people knew their blood types and if they were suitable for giving blood, this would save time in an emergency.

Wish all the best and will watch this thread with interest.

Lara

Guz1

Blood Donors in Turkey?
Last time I went to donate blood in Dublin they told me I couldn't because I had spent six months in England in the 1980s......something to do with CJD risk.

pebble

Blood Donors in Turkey?
I used to donate blood here in the US all the time, but since i moved back to turkey, and when i have tried to donate here in the US they wont take it cause I've been to turkey.

The difference is, in the US (and probably in europe) people donate blood all the time, at any given time, we have blood drives, but in turkey, people arent so forthcoming to donate for no reason.

so we have a healthy supply of blood and blood products, Turkey does not, they only get it when there is a dire need and people have to enlist friends and family to donate.

Tess

Blood Donors in Turkey?
:wow: I wonder what happens in a dire emergency situation i.e. where blood would need to be on hand to start transfusion maybe in the situation where the patient was haemorrhaging, where time would be imperative. I am O neg and whilst it is brill in an emergency where it is compatible with most bloods and can be used until the patient is matched, when needing blood myself it must be O neg!
Due to a blood disorder (unknown at the time) and after a major op, I myself haemorrhaged and lost a considerable amount of blood, whilst I have no intentions of repeating this it is a worry!!should I or my family find ourselves in the position to require blood:wow:
I have to say this Forum is fabulous in educating people to all aspects of situations which could arise whilst in Turkey and I thank everyone for the information:25:

Blood Donors in Turkey?
I had no idea that this would even be an issue if something happened in Turkey, it's good to know - got my sister investigating our blood groups just in case. Great thread!

blackpool

Blood Donors in Turkey?
Having a section for blood donors is a great idea. I had five units of blood last time I was in Turkey. They sent the police out to track people down with my blood group, and three Turkish men came into the hospital late at night and gave their blood for me. I didn't get a chance to say thank you but these people saved my life. Knowing your blood group, and having someone who can be called upon, should an emergency occur, is so important.

ChrisBobs

Blood Donors in Turkey?
In Bodrum, and I am sure it is in other towns where there is a Devlet(State) and private hospitals, the tannoy announces a request for blood group such n such. Most Turks know their groups; I am actually horrified if you dont by adulthood.
The idea for a section for bood groups then is a good idea, though the embargo on UK donors for CJD, is not only Turkey- think other countries, New Zealand, Australia have it too.
Kızılay have blood donor drives around the country now, the tent goes up every 3-4 months in Bodrum, and recently the Muğla Governor was reported to be discussing setting up a blood bank. Things are changing. But please find out your own blood group!

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Blood Donors in Turkey?
My husband Ian is in Aydin Adnan Menderes University Hospital as it has been discovered that he needs heart bypass surgery. His operation is scheduled for Tuesday 12 May, but he has just phoned to say that although the hospital have 4 packs of O RH NEGATIVE blood, they also need ‘fresh’ blood in case it is needed during his operation.

So we have been told to find four people who have O NEGATIVE blood, to bring them to the hospital so they can be tested and then arrange for them to be at the hospital on Tuesday, the day of his op.

Unfortunately, only 16% of the population are Rh negative, so I am sending out this appeal for O NEGATIVE donors. Everyone I have spoken to in the O Group is O Positive (which is my blood group) and anyway, reading this thread, it looks as though Brits would not be accepted anyway!

Having read this thread out to him, he is going ask about a tannoy request being made for his blood type. We are happy to pay. What a nightmare for people with rare blood goups. I just don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions???? :wow:

Guz1

Blood Donors in Turkey?
Val,

Just a thought....would they accept blood from a Brit in this case since the transfusion will be from one Brit to another? Might be worthwhile asking the hospital.

Suggest you start a new thread for this marked URGENT.

Hope all goes well for your husband.

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
Blood Donors in Turkey?
Im really sorry to hear that Val. I've asked the familly but they are predominately RH Positve. 0- is a universal blood type and can be given to anyone, the figures for Turkish nationals with this blood type is only 3.9% of the population. Do they not have any at Kizilay?

I am sure they will get a good response from the tannoy. In any event I will keep asking around.

Take care xx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom