Mushroom

Black People Can Be Racist
Are you suggesting black/colored people aren't going out to earn it ? To earn it you need the opportunity..... and even the recent Tory Govt report highlights that doesn't happen and calls for more Blind Name Cv's . As its a fact, that ethnic names on a Cv's the person has less of an opportunity in being called for an interview ....

" Living in Someone Else's Shoes" what you do not experience, you can have a difficulty in fully understanding so its said .
I have always said in the name of fairness and to get rid of the allegation ' I didn't get the job because......." the job being advertised states that it is open to everyone, providing they meet the required criteria qualifications and experience, then the CV submitted by email on a neutral address should not include the name or address of the applicant as Mr Olewala of Chapeltown, Leeds might just be a bit revealing, and the applicant should be assigned a number. If the applicant meets the criteria and is filtered out or fails to meet the criteria there is no cause for excuses or blame. If they move along the system., they should have interviews with audio only and no visible means of recognition.
It's not a perfect system and I would anticipate problems but it should produce an outcome where someone is selected on merit, with no bias and eliminates the accusations of either.

Mushroom

We also need to banish preferred choices or positive discrimination in favour of merit, using a similar anonymous selection process.
For box ticking reasons the BBC recently advertised some available posts for journalists. My daughter went online and the advert basically said that in order to employ more people from ethnic minorities, disabled and LBGT, preference would be given. She went no further.
Channel 4. Recently put out their very similar advert but added that in order to give disadvantaged backgrounds consideration, the application would require to know about family household income. No thanks.

Simple questions:
What professions or trades in the UK doesnt have black or Asians working in them?
If people havent got either the brains or the brawn, who's fault is that.......... and it doesnt matter whose shoes you wear.

Camden

I have always said in the name of fairness and to get rid of the allegation ' I didn't get the job because......." the job being advertised states that it is open to everyone, providing they meet the required criteria qualifications and experience, then the CV submitted by email on a neutral address should not include the name or address of the applicant as Mr Olewala of Chapeltown, Leeds might just be a bit revealing, and the applicant should be assigned a number. If the applicant meets the criteria and is filtered out or fails to meet the criteria there is no cause for excuses or blame. If they move along the system., they should have interviews with audio only and no visible means of recognition.
It's not a perfect system and I would anticipate problems but it should produce an outcome where someone is selected on merit, with no bias and eliminates the accusations of either.

I agree, in part with your post on what should be done ... where we part way was it was not an allegation or accusation ... on why they didn't as you said.... " I didn't get the job because."... They didn't get that far.
The report highlighted ....
They weren't even given the opportunity to be called up to attend the interview because of the ethnic name. Hence No opportunity for the Candidate to be based on the merit.

Mushroom

I agree, in part with your post on what should be done ... where we part way was it was not an allegation or accusation ... on why they didn't as you said.... " I didn't get the job because."... They didn't get that far.
The report highlighted ....
They weren't even given the opportunity to be called up to attend the interview because of the ethnic name. Hence No opportunity for the Candidate to be based on the merit.
Noted and agree.

enoch

Black people are just as racist as any, and that includes against their own seen it first hand when I was a lot younger, with my mates from South Africa.

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Racism is alive & strong everywhere...

1. In South Africa I disliked many stupid Black people that saw violence and destruction as an answer to their problems but I disdained ignorant Whites even more, they had the opportunity to improve themselves but didn’t bother.

2. My son married a Chinese girl of impeccable family. To my amazement just before the ceremony her mother sat beside me and asked I was concerned that my son would marry an Asian girl. I replied that I was honoured to have been accepted by their family, no disrespect there.

3. When I ran the JCB Japan operation my best service engineer (Chinese but 3rd generation in Japan) customers would often insist on a Japanese engineer. When he went out station he was very often denied food or shelter but he was fortunate to have been Chinese & not Korean. I confess that I double billed the client and gave the difference to our Chinese engineer. :)

Also my lovely Japanese PA at that time married a great Indian gut – the town shook with indignation.

4. In SA I consulted briefly, VERY briefly to a large Korean corporation and was treated like s**t. Same story in Nigeria & Liberia, can’t understand why they retained me I the first place.

5. And many, many years ago I was dating a Sindi doctor at the Bombay Gen until her family found out & I was toast :cry:

6. In the UAE my local partner took a Japanese lady as his 3rd wife. Ire was rife - all his friends told him that he could do whatever he liked with Asian & European women but you NEVER married them.

I could go on but my supper is getting cold.

Kanga

6. In the UAE my local partner took a Japanese lady as his 3rd wife. Ire was rife - all his friends told him that he could do whatever he liked with Asian & European women but you NEVER married them. ( Jaycey #27)

So where does that leave the oft quoted member of the UK royal family who said you could date actresses but you didn't marry them?

Mushroom

In the area of Holbeck in Leeds where I once had a fleeting visit for work purposes, the Asian guy I was meeting at his home told me to keep an eye on my car which was parked outside. I knew it was a rough area but as an eye opener he told me it couldn't be guaranteed not to be tampered with by his Asian neighbours, but the Eastern Europeans living further up the road were villains and the African asylum seekers at the top of the hill were the worst if the lot!!
This is a melting pot of racial and cultural diversity where nobody seems to get on.

Mushroom

I saw today on BBC news that the black lady who recently lost her son, who was found drowned in a pond, is saying that the Met Police didn't treat her concerns adequately when she first reported him missing. She believes they were racist.
Nope, delete racist as that is a perception which works both ways. Settle for the Met being incompetent.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom