Kanga

Black Lives Matter
And yet this very point is used in previous points ie "it wasn't just us there were Arabs and Africans involved as well"

As if somehow this ameliorates the UK's involvement, so no, I dont think the question is silly.

@mollag, I dont think I'm alone in feeling that we in UK get slagged off/criticised as if we alone are responsible for every bad thing, and there never seems to be any recognition of the part that other nations played in slavery, war, etc etc.

How often do you read or hear of the public self-flagellation in France, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, the Arab nations and uncle Tom Cobley and all who were involved in slavery? Never, in my experience, yet they have all done bad things. If they do, why aren't we told about their regrets and efforts to right past wrongs? Who is the gate-keeper for truth and information?

It's nothing to do with amelioration, it's more to do with a wish for recognition that the UK is NOT a uniquely bad place and the sinner of the western world. All those other countries have had empires at one time or another, Belgium was incredibly cruel and exploitative of its African possessions; don't start about the German slave labour of jews under hitler, and we could write reams about Spain and Portuguese cruelty in S America.

There seems to be an undercurrent in the UK of constant knocking and belittling of achievements, and I sometimes feel that this is written/spoken from a position of arrogant ignorance. Some of these people should try living in another country and perhaps learn how lucky they are to live in UK.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Black Lives Matter
But no one is saying the UK is unique, but pointing the blame finger at others in no way diminishes the UK's role in these previous events so when, and if, anyone tries to say it was only the UK who ran the Slave Game, then I will stand with you and say "no they weren't"

This is the distraction from recognisining what the UK''s role was ie, not me mate, look at those other Slavers, France, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, the Arab nations

Again, no one I have seen is saying it was entirely a UK operation.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Black Lives Matter
As I recall self-flagellation has long been the flavour of the month in the UK.

Which leads me to ask if NI or Scotland should break ranks will it still be called ‘the’ UK?

At college there was a Cornish lad that was shouting for Cornish home rule – did that movement ever gain any traction?

Kanga

Black Lives Matter

Again, no one I have seen is saying it was entirely a UK operation.

and again, we do accept this, but wouldn't it be good to see those countries accepting their part in this.

Camden

Black Lives Matter
Good to see the few vocal detractors of Lewis Hamilton, for using the platform of his position, to highlight BLM cause.Their unfounded criticism has had no effect in the eyes of the general public in his chosen sport .... with him being awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year one of the most prized awards in British sport ...

Congratulations Lewis .....

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Black Lives Matter
It’s a well deserved award for Lewis Hamilton, as it is for any sportsperson to receive such recognition.

Camden

Black Lives Matter

Bodycam footage shows police officer shooting unarmed Black man in Columbus, Ohio​

Jaycey

African Refugee
Black Lives Matter
Am I being insensitive or merely non-PC when I say that ALL lives matter?

If you were a Boer farmer in South Africa where Whites are being killed every day with government assent the cry would be WLM.

Self-flagellation is OK in small doses if it eases conscience for the addicted but can be self-injurious.

behindsofa.gif

enoch

Black Lives Matter
The wife just showed me a clip of an American police officer getting out of his car and walking around to the door of another, he had stopped. Someone got out of the door and emptied a shot gun on him at blank range so is everyone out shouting police lives matter?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Black Lives Matter
The wife just showed me a clip of an American police officer getting out of his car and walking around to the door of another, he had stopped. Someone got out of the door and emptied a shot gun on him at blank range so is everyone out shouting police lives matter?
A slight difference , a police officer is duty and oath bound to protect the public in the course of their paid function , ad hoc criminals are another matter . Whilst every right thinking person decries an officer being shot , the public have a right to hold an officer of the law to a higher order .
Steve

enoch

Black Lives Matter
A slight difference , a police officer is duty and oath bound to protect the public in the course of their paid function , ad hoc criminals are another matter . Whilst every right thinking person decries an officer being shot , the public have a right to hold an officer of the law to a higher order .
Steve
It brings another topic to mind, to many guns on the streets. I would say some of the police are as frightened as the public,and some are just evil.

Camden

Black Lives Matter
It brings another topic to mind, to many guns on the streets. I would say some of the police are as frightened as the public,and some are just evil.

Unfortunately the Americans will never agree to anything but minimal restrictions on gun ownership ( even that has to be done by presidential degree ,as American Senators and representatives won't vote changes or restrictions through ) .... the gun mentality is ingrained ... even after multiple mass shooting and seeing deaths of children etc ...one mass shooting every 200 days last report ... even one yesterday .... the third in a month.... and still no progress on control ...

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Black Lives Matter
I wonder if any white people ever got shot and killed by the police, accidentally or otherwise in the US?
I wouldn’t want to be in a police force here or there. Heroes today, villains tomorrow.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom