pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Bitten by uk dog today Problem
I was badly bitten by my friends dog today . When i knocked on her door she shouted come in But when i opened the door thier WHW threw its self at me . bit my hand badly my shin and ankle . After hospital treatment my friend asked if i was going to report it . Well my friend is suffering from a brain tumour so i dont want to hurt her . But i.m worried it may bite other people so i have a problem . Do i report it or give it a chance ? They bought it from an ad its 3 yrs old and was kept in a crate from 9am untill 6pm while the previous owner went to work ! yes i train dogs But i didn't see it comeing so i cant train what i can't see . It was like a bat out of h*ll I'd rather of faced the Turkish street dogs . The wound to my hand is deep and been stiched my leg is swollen What do others think Report or not Report ? Diane
:crying:

Martyn

It's a difficult one but if she can't control it now then things may be worse in the future. Maybe you could help to train it to behave better, that may be the best solution all round. Next time it could be worse, a child maybe?

Guz1

Next time who will be coming in the door? Will the person be elderly? Heavily pregnant? A child? Someone with a heart problem?

Do you really have a choice?

juco

It sounds like the owner never saw this coming either, You have a choice ...report it or....insist the dog is trained properly, or more likely the owner is trained.
My son had a situation where he put some leaflets through a letterbox and got bitten by a Jack Russel, (owner wasn`t in) he went back later and told them to get a mesh fitted behind the letterbox or he would report them, he did go back to check and they did install a mesh.
Sometimes you just need to push the owners in the right direction.
I don`t think the fact the owner is ill comes into the equation, a dog is properly trained or not!

Do i report it or give it a chance
I think you know the answer to your own question, you are only giving it a chance to repeat this!

Last edited:

leylaasena

How long has she had the dog?.
It sounds like it's had a rough start in life.
As a trainer do you think it would be able to taught ? If so, could you offer to do it for your friend as a favour?

If there's a realistic chance that your attack was a one-off it seems a shame to have it put down - for the dog and for your friend and for your continued friendship.

PASH

Sadly i think you have to make a tough decision here. i would sit down with your friend and explain the possible consequences of not having the dog put down. Apart from the obvious damage the dog is capable of to a human be they old, young or middle aged, we live in a society now where sueing is fairly common practice and your friend may end up in court just at the time while she needs to conserve all her energy to fight her sad illness. A long and frank discussion is required with your friend- Hope you heal soon!

pebble

What a tough decision. I am a dog lover, but you know what......i kind of agree with PASH. IF YOU DIDNT SEE IT, AND SHE DIDNT SEE IT..... the chances of a repeat performance are pretty darned great.......
and who would be next? and they wouldnt be as understanding with your friend.
And she has a tumor, that must be taking it out of her.....

good luck on your decision.....

yalicat

How would you feel if you didn't report it then later heard that it had gone on to bite a child, who possibly being smaller than you could be attacked in the face?

I agree that you have no choice really, she may be your friend but she has a tumour and is obviously not able to train or spot the dogs behaviour triggers. Had you been a young child or an elderly person the injuries might have been even worse...I hope your friend will understand that for the protection of everyone she must do something with the dog, perhaps if you explain your predicament she will see your perspective and realise that it is the right thing to do.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
What happened was a tragic and unfortunate accident that just wasn’t expected.This has left your friend feeling very hurt mentally and you physically hurt,so you two should come together as one to deal with the problem that can occur again.
First of all,l do not think you should report this,since this can strain your relation with your friend.Get a feel of what your friend must be feeling,she must be feeling very guilty of what happened and also she knows now by this attack she knows now she has to restrict the dog when someone knocks at the door.This is when you can talk it out in a diplomatic manner to achieve the goals for peace.
Each party should never blame each other,since this only causes conflicts and doesn’t achieve anything positive.lt’s how to make the right decisions that will create the peace between you to solve the problem.
Be the first one to take the stand with your friend by sitting down together and explain your concerns and also listen to your friends side of things as well.After the two parties have made their views clear.Then take the action that will be agreed by the two of you.Always think of there is a reason why things happen that shouldn’t and needs to be investigated.The only way to do that is to strive for peace,this allows the other party to feel less threatened and will open up.And it works.
The dog in Question is suffering from mental trauma and probably was going through that trauma when you opened the door.Similar to what this idiot has done,by restricting the dog all day in a crate that has embedded an anxiety of fear in the poor dog and needs to be nurtured slowly to a fitness of mental well being.Please do not blame the dog.What you can mention is to politely ask her to say wait a minute when someone knocks at the door.This gives your friend some time to put the dog on a lead or in a enclosed place only temporarily.
The matter needs to be talked out promptly with your friend with a manner of mildness.The goal in conversation is not for the two parties to preserve an image of oneself,by making excuses that can inflame conflict,but to make peace.
If your friend apologized to you straight away,then you know she is very concerned what has happened and wants to talk with you.
Sometimes in conversations there will be obstacles in the way,like the one we probably all have thought of is,”why should l be the first one to make the peace”,or l have nothing to say to you.All these are negative and will only inflame the situation.lf you do come across such verbal comments then just wait a while and try again.
Always have the dog in mind and your friend.How would you feel afterwards if you did report it and the dog was taken away to be put down and your friend feeling empty that her lovely companion is not their anymore,because of one quick act of not thinking things out in the first place with your friend.lt was just a lapse of misjudgement on your friend behalf and the dogs embedded anxiety and fear has taken over his mind of what is friend or foe.Please no not report this and please do come to the right solution with your friend.
Why lose two,when you can gain three.A bonding friendship,a dog with a chance to recover from it’s mental trauma and the respect you two have gained with each other just by being civil with each other.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonic

Sorry that you were bitten by your friend's dog but I'm surprised your friend would just say come in when the dog hadnt seen you. I've got 2 dogs and I would never say to anyone just come in, I would make sure I held onto the dogs then opened the door so they could see who was there and then let them in. 9 times out 10 your friend's dog maybe okay but you cant trust any dog 100%, as a dog owner you must always be careful.

pldouglas

The dog will obviously sense there is something wrong with its owner i.e. she is ill and therefore needs extra protection, so its not surprising the animal attacked a person entering her space. The decision as to what to do with the animal should be left to the owner, they know the dog best. The situation of the owner calling out to someone to 'come in' obviously will not arise again after what has happened.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
tough call ! the dog clearly felt threatened but would it feel less threatened the next time, I dont think so !
cosy chats with your friend wont change the dogs character, unfortunately I feel you need to report it, imagine if it happened again, how would your friend feel then ? having overlooked the first instance. like i say its a tough call but consider what your next post might be !

martin

Emotions run high at times like these especially when the dog owner is ill and obviously loves her pet. However, as people have said before, the thing that must prey on your mind, and hers, is what happens if this happens again. Its bad enough that you have been injured but next time it could be even worse - a child, a pregnant mum, etc. I personally know the heartbreak that goes into a decision like this after having to have my WHW put down after it bit my wife for no reason. He had been to dog training classes, was well-loved and well cared for but on this occasion his "wiring" short circuited and he turned nasty. I cried my eyes out as I held him for the vets injection but I believed then and now that I had no choice, as the next time I could be holding a dying youngster that he had savaged because I'd given him another chance. I could not have lived with that. Other people suggested I should have given him to a rescue centre, but I did not want to pass my problems onto others who may have suffered the same problems. As I said earlier, its not an easy decision but it has to be made.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Get the dog trained and until such time as it is trained use a muzzle. Why should the dog be made to suffer probably because of its past history. When I was a child I really wanted a dog and eventually my parents gave way and got me a dog from a kennels where it had been left. I loved it but the dog did not love me but I tried and tried and eventually we became the best of friends even though I started off with a bitten leg. I remember the poor dog being dressed up in one of my bathing suits and being push around in a dolls pram. Can't say it was happy about that but it let me.

Hi,

It seems to me that the dog was protecting it's territory from an intruder. I know your friend shouted 'come in' but the dog doesn't understand that.
If she is going to keep the dog then she must answer the door in person so the dog knows that the person entering is ok.
My dog would have gone berserk if someone had just walked in-she wouldn't have bittten them but growled and barked.

It's a difficult call to make-you might blame yourself for not forcing the issue if a child is then mauled.

Ann

Talk to your friend,explain your concerns and see if she is going to take measures to prevent her dog from snapping at people entering the home...................after all thats what he did.he didnt attack anyone outside the home.
I would never allow anyone,including family/friends walk into my home as even though my dogs are docile,their natural instinct is to guard and protect.
The owner must take responsibility,but as a dog trainer,you may be able with your expertise to advise and retrain rather than blame the dog and destroy him.If as an expert you feel the dog is so unpredictable and dangerous then tell your friend

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Good Morning to all of you . Last night i was a bit tearful and all alone in the new house i've just moved into And feeling a bit sorry for myself . I needed someone to talk to And here you all are TFL is more than a forum and i'm proud to be a member . Well my friend as phoned to see if i'm ok . and now i have more info . She bought the little dog so if anything " happens to her " her hubby wont be alone he'll have a little friend . Thier in thier 70s I also learned thier daughter took the dog for a walk and suddenly it bit her ankle . Plus two groomers have refused to clip and groom him ! I think he needs to be acessed by a dog behavourist and a vet i fear he is haveing brain storms brought about from spending his life confined to a crate So once again its the fault of a human . I watch US animal rescue Houston if a dog bites when you touch its food bowl its considerd to dangerous to be rehomed . This unfortunate little fellow is i believe dangerous But i'm going to put forward your comments . Yes i no what i should do but it hurts more than the bites . = How to stop a puppy biteing = when a puppy is at the mouthing stage and is nibbling your hand Put your forfinger over its muzzle and your thumb in its mouth press GENTLY on roof of mouth saying NO biteing puppy will wriggle about but soon gets the message i've always done this never had a dog that bites Diane

Reactions: GnD

Lindacm

I was badly bitten by my friends dog today . When i knocked on her door she shouted come in But when i opened the door thier WHW threw its self at me . bit my hand badly my shin and ankle . After hospital treatment my friend asked if i was going to report it . Well my friend is suffering from a brain tumour so i dont want to hurt her . But i.m worried it may bite other people so i have a problem . Do i report it or give it a chance ? They bought it from an ad its 3 yrs old and was kept in a crate from 9am untill 6pm while the previous owner went to work ! yes i train dogs But i didn't see it comeing so i cant train what i can't see . It was like a bat out of h*ll I'd rather of faced the Turkish street dogs . The wound to my hand is deep and been stiched my leg is swollen What do others think Report or not Report ? Diane
:crying:

Hi Pineapple,

So sorry to hear about your injuries and situation.

I agree a difficult one. On one hand you were going into the dog's home and he was just trying to protect his ground. On the other hand this was a very serious attack too.

You could blame the owner as she should have let you in herself, but if she wa unaware of the problem too then.....

How did the dog react once his owner came?

I do hope you get better soon.

Linda

petlover

hi, sorry you were hurt. the dog sounds as if it has had a terrible life. who can justify keeping any animal in a cage. i think the dogs owner should be very careful about having people just entering the house when the dog, who has just been rescued and is trying to show its love, she must open the door and introduce the dog and visitor to each other. i do think this poor abused dog deserves another chance.

and as for facing the street dogs in turkey, i have lived with them for 18. years and i speak to every dog i see, many are starving, but i have never been bitten and i am rewarded with love, loyalty and the truest friendship. all of them respond to a kind word.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom