Harem

I've cliqued
BIOS password?
Can anybody tell me how to find out the BIOS password for my computer and what I can do if I cannot find out what it is? Thanks.

traveller

BIOS password?
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any way to find out the BIOS password if you've lost it. The only option I can think of is to take out the small battery (little round flat one on the motherboard) and then put it back again, I think this re-sets the CMOS, but I'm not sure. Best to take it to an expert.

Lancashire Lad

BIOS password?
Hi,

Try to carry on without a password, not all systems have them even if one is asked for. Let me know how you get on and I will look into it further for you.

LL

Andyucs

Computer Engineer
BIOS password?
if its a pc computer then look for the motherboard manual and look how to reset cmos
that will clear any password , you will need to reset the date etc again

laptops not so easy to do especially if its a Dell

may i ask the reason you need the password as to maybe help further

Harem

I've cliqued
BIOS password?
Andyucs - husband was given a laptop by daughter-in-law. It overheats, needs more memory, cd tray (I think) wasn't there and several other things he needed doing. At present it is with a computer expert - and I am very surprised he is having trouble as he is quite a genius - and he has asked what is the BIOS password. I don't know exactly why he needs it.
juco, thanks for the link, will pass it on in the morning!!
Everybody else, thanks for your suggestions. I will also pass these on.

Last edited:
BIOS password?
hi there, if its a desktop computer there is a very easy way. there must be a round battery on mainboard (like a watch battery) take that off, wait 1 to 2 hours then put it bk. thats it your bios password is reset.. hope this helps... regards

puwer98

BIOS password?
Andyucs - husband was given a laptop by daughter-in-law. It overheats, needs more memory, cd tray (I think) wasn't there and several other things he needed doing. At present it is with a computer expert - and I am very surprised he is having trouble as he is quite a genius - and he has asked what is the BIOS password. I don't know exactly why he needs it.
juco, thanks for the link, will pass it on in the morning!!
Everybody else, thanks for your suggestions. I will also pass these on.

He can not be much of a computer expert then

bickern

BIOS password?
It overheats, needs more memory, cd tray (I think) wasn't there and several other things he needed doing. At present it is with a computer expert - and I am very surprised he is having trouble as he is quite a genius - and he has asked what is the BIOS password. I don't know exactly why he needs it.

If someone was repairing my computer and asked me for my password I would not be alarmed because he would not want to reset my password, if I then told him I dıd not know it and I was then informed he did not know how to reset it I would be worried.

If he does not know how to reset it, then if he is indeed an expert then he is probably an expert in another field because he certainly isn't one in computer repair.

As an aside upgrades should not need to be done through Bios unless something has been disabled, if he has added something and the computer has not had bios altered and it does not see the upgrade then I suspect your guy has not done the upgrade correctly.

The motherboard will have a jumper switch to clear the bios to standard settings or just remove the battery as has already been stated (without it being plugged into the mains) and it will clear.

If it is a desktop PC then it will be easy to get into but if a laptop the case may need splitting and that is not normally for the faint of heart therefore he should download a reset program and run that to clear it.

Send him here to download a program that should work

CmosPwd - Free tools and utilities

If he reads the instructions and knows about admin privileges and services he should be OK if not then I can not really comment on his abilities as he may be a friend of yours.

Last edited:

Andyucs

Computer Engineer
BIOS password?
laptop password in the bios are very hard to remove

as i am a computer engineer and have had my own business for 10 years repairing and building computers i do know

Latest Posts

Top Bottom