matty

Beware snakes
Just a reminder to be extra careful when working in and around the garden!
As to-day we have had 2 snakes in the garden! the first one was behind a garden pot that i had just watered, it was brown thin and about 2 ft long. The second one was black fat and between 5 to 6ft long!!!!:wow:Scary.

Regards Matty

Bahar

Time is precious
Beware snakes
Yikes, are they poisonous? and are they found all over. I've been lucky I've never seen any in Turkey so far.

But did come face to face with a big brown snake in Oz thankfully it was sound asleep.

Beware snakes
the big fat black one will most likely be a grass snake, ive seen some really big ones around.
the thin brown one will be a viper..the same type that you find in the Uk and poisonous.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Beware snakes

l copied this from a website that about snakes in Turkey.ls this similar to the sort of snake you confronted

Apparently a specific grass snake that lives in Kirkpinar, Turkey, is able to cure both eczema and psoriasis. Some other conditions can be treated too, but according to the local practitioners the snakes are most beneficial for skin conditions.
In mid-May these snakes hatch and are collected and fed cow’s milk for two months. During this time four female snake charmers slash practitioners treat sufferers from all over Turkey. In addition to skin conditions, the snakes can also treat headaches, neck aches, backaches and stomachaches. Ten sessions are recommended and involve 10 minutes where the snake slithers on the patient’s troubled area.

Eirenis modestus (Martin, 1838) - Uysal Yılan [TR], Dwarf Snake [EN] is a member of the family Colibridae of Ophidia (Snakes). This snake is approximately 79 cm in lenght. It is relatively common snake almost all part of Turkiye. It is not dangerous and poisonuos. Turkish name "Uysal" already means "Docile".

jimskem

Beware snakes
I read the name of the thread, thought it was going to be about
the Right Honourable Species.

matty

Beware snakes

l copied this from a website that about snakes in Turkey.ls this similar to the sort of snake you confronted

Apparently a specific grass snake that lives in Kirkpinar, Turkey, is able to cure both eczema and psoriasis. Some other conditions can be treated too, but according to the local practitioners the snakes are most beneficial for skin conditions.
In mid-May these snakes hatch and are collected and fed cow’s milk for two months. During this time four female snake charmers slash practitioners treat sufferers from all over Turkey. In addition to skin conditions, the snakes can also treat headaches, neck aches, backaches and stomachaches. Ten sessions are recommended and involve 10 minutes where the snake slithers on the patient’s troubled area.

Eirenis modestus (Martin, 1838) - Uysal Yılan [TR], Dwarf Snake [EN] is a member of the family Colibridae of Ophidia (Snakes). This snake is approximately 79 cm in lenght. It is relatively common snake almost all part of Turkiye. It is not dangerous and poisonuos. Turkish name "Uysal" already means "Docile".

Hi Bob,
The brown snake was about as fat as the one in the pictures tail! The black one!! Well that was just huge... It popped its head over the neighbours wall then started to slither across the wall, making its way over to our side. i happened to have a bottle of water in my hand so i just through it at it! the water not the bottle, i then ran bloody quick!!!!
Do you know if they are territorial? As we had a big black one come to visit us about 4 years ago!

Last year my husband ended up with one snake around his neck! When he was getting ladders from inside the garage.lol I don't know who was more scared him or the snake..

I have heard of fish doctors treating skin disorders! but never snakes OMG never.

:horn::horn::horn::horn::horn:

Last edited:

Bahar

Time is precious
Beware snakes
Well thanks for this enlightening post. I not scared not one bit honest!! If they stay away from I will stay away from them :)

labman

Beware snakes
I bet the snake has a Tapu with habitation ticked in the right box!

LM - frogs are more deadly

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Beware snakes
Hi matty,sorry to hear of your lost of water when you threw your bottle of water at the snake.
l know that snakes can be unpredictable and it is best to avoid them if you cannot identify the species of snake correctly.Just keep a safe distant and never provoke them,by throwing objects at them.
As for them being territorial,will be according to what species your referring to.The snakes will stay if they have a food source,so if there are rats in the area.So,a decission has to be made whether the snake is a friend in dealing with the rat population or is the snake a foe and the rat is a friend in your garden.
Learn to live with the wildlife that is around you.Because if you repect nature,nature will repect you back.lt's all about education to control the fear that overwhelms your inner being.
Apart from the lobbing the bottled water at the snake,the snake would have appreciated even more if you undid the cap for the snake to drink out of.
The best way to catch a snake and bag it,is to make a crook cane,similar to a shepherds cane.Once you have bagged the snake.Take it to open groung where it will be out of reach of harms way to humans and domestic pets.Please never harm a snake ,since they are part of the eco-system that keeps vermin at bay.

eileen

Beware snakes
lol labman that was good one made me laugh
only thing i find in my bloody garden today is weeds and more weeds

Lindacm

Beware snakes
I have seen 4 snakes in this past week. 4 thin brown ones & 1 rather large brown one. All in the stream in front of our villa.

I keep on telling my husband to go careful when working in the garden. I don't garden incase I happen to see a snake. I don't know who would have a heart attack, me or the snake.:roundgrin

Oh the joys of living in turkey, sharks on land and now snakes...oh hum!!

Linda

matty

Beware snakes
Hi matty,sorry to hear of your lost of water when you threw your bottle of water at the snake.
l know that snakes can be unpredictable and it is best to avoid them if you cannot identify the species of snake correctly.Just keep a safe distant and never provoke them,by throwing objects at them.
As for them being territorial,will be according to what species your referring to.The snakes will stay if they have a food source,so if there are rats in the area.So,a decission has to be made whether the snake is a friend in dealing with the rat population or is the snake a foe and the rat is a friend in your garden.
Learn to live with the wildlife that is around you.Because if you repect nature,nature will repect you back.lt's all about education to control the fear that overwhelms your inner being.
Apart from the lobbing the bottled water at the snake,the snake would have appreciated even more if you undid the cap for the snake to drink out of.
The best way to catch a snake and bag it,is to make a crook cane,similar to a shepherds cane.Once you have bagged the snake.Take it to open groung where it will be out of reach of harms way to humans and domestic pets.Please never harm a snake ,since they are part of the eco-system that keeps vermin at bay.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply, i did actually take the top of the bottle and just threw the water at the beautiful black snake,:wacko: as i thought that it looked as though it needed a drink! lol

You have got me worried now though! As our dear beloved Roland and his family seem to have disappeared. I do love all creatures great and small, but sorry i have a mighty fear of snakes! Especially when they come as close as that bloody thing did yesterday:animation

Anyway I'm off now on snake patrol!!!!!!

:thanks::thanks::thanks: Matty

Beware snakes
Always knew it was a sound decision to live in the middle of town in a 3rd floor apartment! I think snakes can probably climb stairs but the dog will protect me - she's busy practising killing beetles on the balcony so I'll be alright!!!

kelchocolate

Just Watch Me
Beware snakes
Oh My!am absolutely terrified of snakes,never seen a real one before.Films like anacoda and stuff like that makes me stay up all night.
Anyway thank God we've finished the garden now!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom