Martyn

Best Premiership striker of the last 30 years
Who do you think? I think Ian Rush takes some beating.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgXtv0QPmwY]YouTube - Liverpool Vs Everton FA Cup Final 20th May 1989[/ame]

Last edited:
the only premier league striker to win the european golden boot-super kevin phillips.imagine how many goals he would of scored in a top 4 side if he,d had the chance?

Martyn

Sorry my mistake I meant English League, Rush played mostly in the old league.:doh: Rush had all round play, he had the best qualities of all strikers rolled into one. Phillips wasn't bad but no real comparison to Rush.

Sorry but Phillips is way down the list.
I would agree with Rush but my vote would go to Shearer - 130 goals in 171 appearances!!!

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I have to pick five - sorry

1. Alan Shearer
2. Dennis Bergkamp
3. Eric Cantona
4. Thierry Henry
5. Andy Cole

Kevin Philips gave me a laugh mind you.....

C

Would it be unfair to consider not only the quantity but the consistent quality of premiership goal recognition. Jimmy Greaves, Dennis Law, Mark Hughes and many others from the old school of established `strikers`.

It would be interesting to record, just how many, `home grown players` figure in that end of season statistics anology.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
hang on ! wheres ian wright and van nistleroy..2 of the best goals per games strikers ever surely

martin

Sorry Martin. In an effort to change the line of debate, I was looking for some kind of skill development coming from within our shores - those players you have mentioned certainly did the business, but I would love to see a Mc`Kaka` or some other star emerging from our unlimited list of national league players.

Could it be that we are over-subscribed (financially) with football and we should perhaps consider reducing the existing professional leagues and concentrate on the more basic development of the game from within our local amateur youth population.

To me (a common (well, not quite common) retired, man) the fact that Real`s agreed £80Million contract to buy someone from ManU.... ..., which, in view of our current national and economic state, is an absolute disgrace, highlights the fact that football is only a sport. . Sorry if I digressed ( just back from the bowling) .

It`s only a game eh?...................

PS
I used to earn 12/6d a game (don`t laugh) but I would have played for nothing. I never exchanged my shirt with my opponent - I took it home and got it washed to wear for my next game.

Martyn

I suppose you could define the best striker as the most goals I'm looking at all round play. Rush had vision, pace, score both feet, head. I think he was second to none in defending from the front. He could shut a defence down on his own with his pace.

wiuru

Following on from Ian Hardings Mc Kaka theme Wayne Rooney is my man .

Marty

Saoirse

Rooney whilst a great player is the epitamy of no loyalty to a club.

Utd have had some right old loyal to no one players, like Alan "Leeds till I die" Smith and "Once a Blue always a Blue" Rooney

wiuru

Thanks for that Philip ,United also have Ryan Giggs , Paul scholes & Gary Neville . Red to the bone . This thread is about strikers not loyalty .

geordie_nev

I agree with chrisandjill, SKP is still the only Englishman to the win the European Golden Boot.

If you’re looking for an all-round striker then big Niall Quinn is your man: Striker, goalkeeper, coach, club ambassador, manager and chairman.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2NovNBn6Qo&feature=related]YouTube - Niall Quinn's header against the scum[/ame]

that was the second best day of my football following life.the best was 24th may 2009 when the mighty cartoon army,led by there 2nd messiah were relegated-good riddance!

Youre making it up as you go along. First its the premiership, now you bring in a 30 year rule. How can you go into the footie archives and exclude George?

I agree - is it the Premier League, the "old" 1st division or any league in the world??????
If it's just the Premier League then there is ONLY one choice - Alan Shearer!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom