ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Best Fakes in the World?
A couple of people who'd recently been to Turkey said they thought some of the 'genuine' faked goods they'd bought were the best they'd ever seen. When I thought about it I pretty much agreed as some of the clothing and handbags in particular are hard to tell from the real thing.

I spoke to a friend of mine 'in the know' the other day about this and he said a few things that may be worth passing on here.

If you're shopping for a 'designer' handbag for example, have a good look at the real thing first as there are a few things that a 'bad fake' will not have such as the way the handle is well stitched to the metal rings, good colour in the lining, straight and even stitching all around etc. You can pick up a really good 'genuine fake' for around £30 that no-one will be able to spot as a fake - haggle of course but don't insult with derisory offers - these people have to make a living too.

If you're buying clothing, always take the clothes out of the bag at the time to ensure you've got the right size and that the quality is as good as the display one you've been shown - sometimes the pre-packed items you've bought are of an inferior quality to what you've been shown - this is particularly relevant to the t-shirts and boxer shorts you buy at the markets.

He tells me you can get really good fake Rolex Oyster watches as well.

There does seem to be little or no enforced copyright or piracy laws in Turkey and I remember reading recently that they're under severe pressure to curtail the trade but I'm not sure they have the will to do it.

So make hay while the sun shines I guess - though I suppose there's always the risk of having the stuff seized by customs when you arrive home.....

C

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Best Fakes in the World?
I am a Radley (handbag) fan and have the genuine bags. The ones I've seen in Bodrum are ok, but the Radley Dog attached to the bag, is hard to copy, every time I've gone with the intention of buying a fake one, I've not, because the poor dog looks more like a pig, lol.

maggie

Best Fakes in the World?
Yes some of the fakes here are excellent.
I bought a Fred Perry t shirt on Akbuk market for 5 lira.

My labels mad son in the U.K. didnt know any the wiser and was over the moon,thinking Id bought him the genuine article.
Needless to say I didnt tell him otherwise.
hugs Maggie xxx

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Best Fakes in the World?
Most of the big high street designers Pineapple for example buy there clothes from turkey as the quality is far superior for the price they pay. The mark up is collossal . But the market makes it that way.

Ive never afforded what many would call the real mccoy so always go for a bargain in Turkey. Handbags and shoes and jeans and t shirts for the boys . I bought a ed hardy t shirt last time and was amazed at how much they go for in the uk. A right bargain.

Long live the market s !!

Best Fakes in the World?
Yes - long live the markets. But having worked in the fashion industry for many years I can tell you that many designers have their bags and clothing made in Turkey. Some of what you are buying is not necessarily fakes - especially jeans. Turkey is big on the jean market and make jeans for designers around the world. I know you think everything you buy is perhaps fake, but rest assured, although the Turks are outstanding at copying - dont forget they make the stuff for the worldwide market and you can rest assured that many products that appear on the market are seconds along with expertly copied fakes (no doubt made in the same factory as the originals with the same fabric) so not necessarily fakes. Handbags are another kettle of fish. Designers protect their detailing which is sometimes hard to copy - however, the Turks do it well when you find a good one. There is a fabulous handbag shop in Bodrum which does outstanding fakes and every detail is copied. Their bags are more expensive - but worth every penny for the fun you will have when you get home with your new purchase.

Tess

Best Fakes in the World?
I got a genuine Turkish fake Brietling watch in the market, absolutely love it !!!!! Went back to work on Wednesday wearing it and my colleagues were all saying Ahh where did you get the lovely watch. I think the quality and price of the goods in the market and the shops is hard to beat, long live the good quality fakes, good enough for me!!!! Also I love the argy bargy and haggle, you can have some good laughs with the guys if you stay cool and relaxed, I find if you don't take it all too seriously they respond in kind!!!

Best Fakes in the World?
No, nothing wrong with you. It's a way of life for some people but not everyone. Having worked in the industry for many years, it is easy to understand your point of view. Dont worry - be happy with what you wear. :)

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Best Fakes in the World?
The shop that I'm thinking of is in Bodrum, their handbags are brilliant copies, the name of the shop I've forgotten, but it's as you head up town from the harbour area middle area and it's on the left hand side as you leave the shop there are about 5 steps to go up. The guy there is fun and does enjoy a good barter, have purchased there and will be going again when we go in Oct, lol. I also think Turkish cotton particularly bedding and towels are the best.

fran1

Best Fakes in the World?
There is a fabulous handbag shop in Bodrum which does outstanding fakes and every detail is copied. Their bags are more expensive - but worth every penny for the fun you will have when you get home with your new purchase.[/QUOTE]

come on then, spıll the beans-where ıs ıt?

Best Fakes in the World?
I cant see the attraction in buying fake, especially as some of the bags are quite expensive and anyone who knows you have a place in Turkey or have been on holiday assume you have bought it their and assume its fake anyway (in my experience). Even when I have bought the real thing, friends have assumed it fake anyway as "you go to Turkey a lot dont you".

I cant win, I never buy things for myself now or if I do its usually jewellery, the other half has bought a few designer t shirts, but one wash as they look crap. The only exception I must say is jeans, my daughter has bought some great ones, last forever and I love the way they alter the length for you there and then (great for her as she is really tall) and hem them just like the real thing.

Jane

teresa

Free Thinker
Best Fakes in the World?
I showed the guy in the market my real Radley just so he could see the difference. We had a laugh but I agree that the Radley bags at the moment are not worth considering if you want to pass them off as real.

val2661

Best Fakes in the World?
My sister bought a pandora type bracelet when she was here in June and some of the charms. When we compared it with my genuine Pandora bracelet and charms, we couldn't tell any difference, only mine cost 3 times what hers did!

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Best Fakes in the World?
And I bought a "genuine fake" Links of London sweetie bracelet when I was over in June. At the weekend in York, I compared my bracelet with a real one in the Links shop - you couldn't tell the difference and mine was heavier (both solid silver). The shop price was £210, I paid £40 off a friend of ours who sells silver in Gumbet. I was well chuffed! I'm looking to get a Pandora bracelet when I'm over there in September.

Nergis-Ece

AKA Danielle
Best Fakes in the World?
Personally I'm not particularly interested in having 'designer' clothes or bags, but I always buy them when I go to Gumbet as I think if you chose the right ones they're really worth the money. And because they're virtually clones of designer gear they look good as well as being pretty good quality :D plus I can't deny it makes me feel good when people look at them xD haha

Pete&Mag

Best Fakes in the World?
My daughter has a couple Louis Vuitton bags ( whatever they are ? ) can you get fakes of those. I might get her one for her birthday. Pete

Latest Posts

Top Bottom