Status
Not open for further replies.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Belgium could be first country to ban the burka
Belgium is on course to become the first European country to ban the burka after a parliamentary committee backed proposals to make it illegal on the grounds of national security and women's rights.

Here

C

teosgirl

I agree, good.

The burka is an instrument used to control and strip women of individuality and freedom.

I think Sarkozy said it best (and no I'm not a sarkozy fan, but do think he speaks the truth on this issue) when he said:

"We cannot accept to have in our country women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from all social life, deprived of identity,"

It is not about freedom of expression, it's about allowing women to continue being brainwashed by their husbands if we don't do something about it.

Charlotte

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Well done the Belgians. If it happens. Sure the human rights brigade will be screaming their heads off though.

Saoirse

what gives a government the right to say what people must/mustnt wear?

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Dunno really, ought to ask the Dubai government why women can,t wear the bikini in the streets or kiss in public. Sure they have all the answers.

EVELYNNE

evelynne
its what it symbolises they are banning, suppression and lack of identity.

Well thats how i see it.

Saoirse

I see

So if its ok for a governemnt to decide what women must/ mustnt wear you are all in agreement when the Iranian government says women must wear it?

The arguement that in the name of freedom of choice, you take away womens rights to choose is absurd

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I gave up wearing the burkha and ladies panties in public a long time ago. Could never work out which item of clothing I was always getting arrested for......

Saoirse

Excellent-Let out bloody big laugh there but you made me spill my orange!!!!! lol

teosgirl

What's the difference between beating or mentally abusing a woman, and making them wear something simply to force obedience and install a patriachal social system?

It's simply psychological abuse on another level.

Many women have spoken out about this item of dress, and many continue to fight against it. If you don't ban it you're allowing brainwashing within the home or society.

Turkey is a predominantly Islamic nation but not even the Imam calls for their worshippers to wear a burka; a simple headcovering is enough.

The burka is not a requested item of dress in the koran, yet it's used by muslim men under this false pretence.

Take a closer look at the countries that enforce the wearing of the Burka in public as law, and look at womens rights in general. Is it simply an item of clothing??

That would be a very simplistic and niave view.

Charlotte

EVELYNNE

evelynne
phillip the choice is easy, I would never visit or settle in a country that made me wear a Burka but i would respect their rights.

Basically what the Belgiums are saying is if you want to live here don;t wear a Burka in public.

It would be interesting to here from these women who are forced to wear these hideous costumes in the western world.

Saoirse

Teosgirl

you make my point for me!

Its wrong in those countries for the government to decide on womens dress code-so why would it be right anywhere else for such restriction to be applied??

Evelynne

I agree 100% re accepting a countries customs with you-but that negates the Belgians arguement-they themselves are taking away the rights of those who wish to wear it

Last edited:

teosgirl

Philip,

No I didn't. There's a huge difference between banning one particular item of dress and enforcing women to only wear one specific item of dress.

There are possibly hundreds of types of dress that could be deemed as breaking the law world wide. I'm sure I've read stories about brits being arrested in Greece for dressing as priests, and a woman being arrested in the U.K for wearing a bikini in a supermarket.

Let me ask you this, if Turkey banned alcohol tommorrow, what would you do?

Charlotte

Saoirse

It wouldnt bother me personally-I drink little and my wife is teetotal

We arent going to agree on this-I just believe no governemt has the right to decide what women must or must not wear-they should have no say either way in it

I find it hypocritical to condemn some governments for deciding how women dress whilst praising others for the same thing

teosgirl

Philip,

These women don't choose though, that's the point. We won't agree as you refuse to see that it represents abuse against women. That is illegal, and rightly so. Let me ask you another question. Do you agree with Sharia? Is it o.k. to stone a woman to death if she fell pregnant outside wedlock?
If you don't agree with Sharia why not? It's religious law, and perhaps we shouldn't get involved.

I wonder what the statistics are for women converts to Islam who choose to wear the burka? Very low I would guess.

Charlotte

Saoirse

Of course I dont agree with Sharia and despise the fact that women are forced to dress in a way dictated by their government-Western governemnts dictating how they should dress is no better.

Put most simply, be it Islamic governemnts or Western governemnts what gives either of them the right to tell women how to dress???

It is soooo patronising to women to tell them the government knows best and will legislate what they must or must not wear

How can any one drive a car in safty with such a ristricted view that the Burka restricts the vision.

Also can you imagine what would happen if we tried to go through customs with a bag over our heads or into a bank.

Saoirse

going a bit off the point there but obviously security considerations must come into it-but other than that frankly I see no role for government telling people what they must or must not wear-its absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom