Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
Its interesting Yalinart that many in the Unionists business community are looking towards re entry to Europe via an agreed Ireland

Indeed some are now framing the argument in that precise way especially as every time a trading rule changes from now on in either Brussels or London Belfast moves further from London

Belfast has no representation or say in Brussels- Dublin certainly has

Of course currently the majority of Unionists still prefer to stay with Britain but even there the realization that they are in a one sided love affair is beginning to take hold

At the polls its crudely 1/3 each of yes no unsure but certainly the alternative to considering an agreed all island future is rapidly looking like being in a ever greening North with quite possibly for ever more being 2nd in pecking order at Stormont- a situation Unionists have never experienced

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
There is conspiracy theory that goes along the lines of the EU protocol effectively kickstarts economic unity on the island suiting UK ditching their costly troublesome charge whilst strengthening a EU members constitutional position and achieving its and Brussels preferred goal of unity

Dont buy it myself but stranger things etc plus if it keeps Foster awake at night!!!

mollag

Kipper restorer
Belfast Trouble
I have some ex pat friends , retuned to NI, ex UDR members, live in an area where every garden flies the Union Flag, they see the way it is going, all have R of I issued passports. But then again, many UK folks do also--wish I could blag one :(

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
Basically the game is up and the old certainties are gone for unionism hence the lashing out currently

A further example of their anger disillusionment and frankly longing for their good old days of superiority- is they have never pledged that they will even involve themselves in power sharing at Stormont- if they ever lose First Minister position

To outsiders this probably seems extraordinary- would be like Labour only staying involved with British politics if they were guaranteed PM- but sadly it reflects how the Unionists had things in Belfast for decades when they brutally operated what was in effect a one party state

It's their bewilderment and inability to countenance change which is the real driver behind their current meltdown- Brexit etc are really only short term cover for their reaction to the position of uncertainty where they now find themselves

Last edited:

mollag

Kipper restorer
Belfast Trouble
Very different to when the Tories were shaking the Money tree for them to stay in power in Westminster. :unsure:

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
Indeed
They were totally played

They were warned constantly and have been for decades that they were totally dispensable and would be used as and when main British parties required them

The crude bottom line is Britain including Johnsons cabal- would dump them in a heartbeat
( Cummings " N Ireland I couldn't care less if the fucking place sinks")

With them beginning to grasp that they are the desperate clingy partner in a failed marriage reality is brutally dawning on them

Last edited:

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
What we'll now go through is a round of platitudes and mock negotiation and compromise ( Brussels London Dublin)which will see some clever play on words with the protocol to fool them yet again

Watch also for a commission to throw more money to loyalist paramilitaries- via " community enhancement and outreach " as well as a general hand holding

(Currently illegal loyalist paramilitaries are given around £10m a year basically to bribe them from stealing it via racketeering etc- I kid you not)

Extraordinary though it seems and probably with Johnsons " word" as key to sealing the deal they will buy all this guff AGAIN whilst meanwhile change continues around them

The wiser ones have already began asking the what ifs etc in an effort to explore and stake out the best deal for them in the inevitable event of constitutional change

Alas many of them will continue to bury their head in the sand wave the flag etc until the point they wake up some morning and democratic change has happened without them

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Belfast Trouble
It will be used as an excuse to rip up the post-Brexit trade deal with the EU. Boris took the deal because he had to, but Tories don't like it; what better excuse to ditch it than the excuse it is causing riots on the streets (true or false does not matter). This will be helped by the EU dragging its feet in ratifying the deal - there is effectively no deal until they nod it through, so if Boris want to drop it, now is the moment, before it becomes a treaty.

Ian

Hilsjw

Belfast Trouble
It's a sad sight to see young children, some as young as 12 being egged on by adults. Someone on the radio (I don't recall who) said it was tantamount to child abuse. I have to agree.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Belfast Trouble
It's a sad sight to see young children, some as young as 12 being egged on by adults. Someone on the radio (I don't recall who) said it was tantamount to child abuse. I have to agree.

In some countries I think that's called radicalization.

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
I know one doesn't need to be Mystic Meg to foresee this nor would you get good odds at the bookies but there will be more petrol fuelled " frustration " on the streets from Belfasts unionists within the next 48 hrs

Sad
Predictable
Pathetic
Depressing
Etc

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Belfast Trouble
Agree entirely

there's more discussion talk and debate now than ever of border poll etc.

if Scotland were to gain Independence I would expect a positive result in a Border poll within the following 5/6 years

Theres already the suggestion of having it on 30th Anniversary of GFA 2028

Certainly a reasonable period of time is needed because debate explanation and understanding of every aspect of change needs thoroughly explored

Ideas already being floated include permanent allocation of seats for Unionists in any new administration which would give then a lot more say than they have now

Other issues re flag anthem etc are all open for debate

It will take time but the direction of travel is away from the current situation of being governed by those who are not subject to election and towards an agreed future
And how would a border between Scotland and England be implemented or enforced?

Saoirse

Belfast Trouble
I have no idea. I suppose it would depend on Scotlands position vis a vis EU , possibly a CTA etc?

Border poll I was referring to was for Ireland

Obviously any border between an Independent Scotland and England would be an agreed one and as such is unlikely to be as contentious as the one currently imposed on Ireland

Cannot really see it being difficult to organize in this day and age when theres no issues like on the Emerald Isle

Last edited:

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Belfast Trouble
I have no idea. I suppose it would depend on Scotlands position vis a vis EU , possibly a CTA etc?

Border poll I was referring to was for Ireland

Obviously any border between an Independent Scotland and England would be an agreed one and as such is unlikely to be as contentious as the one currently imposed on Ireland

Cannot really see it being difficult to organize in this day and age when theres no issues like on the Emerald Isle

I disagree, it wouldn’t be anything to do with the EU, because Scottish independence would have to come before their possible EU membership.

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
Belfast Trouble
I ask again, where are the parents? They should be answerable for their children's behaviour.

The parents????
They seem to be doing their fair share of goading. If they find it acceptable to petrol bomb streets and vehicles, then get on with it......just don’t bring it here.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom