keywordphil

Being Passport less in Turkey? Renewing passport whilst on Tourist Visa!!
Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on this.

I have somewhere to stay for a few months in Turkey over Nov & Dec and i was planing to use this time to renew my UK red passport from abroad instead of returning to the UK.
The application requires you to send your current Passport with it and I would only be in Turkey on a Tourist Evisa thus leaving me passport less and i would have no residence permit.
What would happen to me if i was stopped with no passport? Which has happened to me before when i was living there.

Thanks
Phil.

beyazbayan

Photocopy your passport and have it covered in plastic this will do. İ never carry my passport unless travelling and use a plastic covered copy which they accept as some Europeans only use an id card.

traveller

Agree with Beyazbayan, we did this from when we first arrived, it's far safer than carrying your actual passport around, and is accepted by Police if stopped.

evo80

Agree with Beyazbayan, we did this from when we first arrived, it's far safer than carrying your actual passport around, and is accepted by Police if stopped.

Agree . But funnily enough ,I always carry my passport as I find it safer than leaving it in property .

LauraB

Same here evo80. I have always felt safer carrying my passport.......but wouldn't necessarily advise anyone else to do the same!

evo80

Same here evo80. I have always felt safer carrying my passport.......but wouldn't necessarily advise anyone else to do the same!

Someone I know was robbed and their passport was taken from their apartment . They had a devil of a job to sort it out to return back to UK and had to cancel their flight home while they did it . . I keep a copy on my PC so if the worst comes to the worse I can send a copy on to the authorities to speed up re issue .

traveller

I hide all our important stuff - my main worry is that I'll forget where I hid it lol.

Like Evo 80 I also photocopy every important document and keep the copies apart from the originals.

Last edited:
Why not renew your passport before you come to Turkey? I believe that you can renew 9 months before expiry date and the 9 months ae added to your passport.

juco

I keep a copy on my PC so if the worst comes to the worse I can send a copy on to the authorities to speed up re issue .
In addition I have them scanned and send an email of the scan to my hotmail account, then I can access them from just about anywhere.
This includes my passport, driving licence,specs prescription etc.

keywordphil

I am already abroad, currently in Armenia and plan to continue traveling for as long as possible. This saves a trip back to the UK.

keywordphil

Thank you for all the replies guys.
I currently do have copies of my passport but will do the laminate thing.

evo80

I hide all our important stuff - my main worry is that I'll forget where I hid it lol.

Like Evo 80 I also photocopy every important document and keep the copies apart from the originals.

Ha Ha . I hid my car keys at home in UK ,while in Turkey . When I came home I forgot where I hid them LOL.

martirkz

The hairless biker
Keywordphil. Remember your passport must be valid for at least 6 months before entering into Turkey.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Keywordphil. Remember your passport must be valid for at least 6 months before entering into Turkey.
I was just about to make the same comment but you beat me to it.
Although the OP does not say how long the passport has to run.

However, I think the eVisa application software should pick-up on the possible date, which means a eVisa should not be issued anyway.

BEZ

Been stopped a few times and just shown the police my driving licence never a problem.

Akbuk Rob

In addition I have them scanned and send an email of the scan to my hotmail account, then I can access them from just about anywhere.
This includes my passport, driving licence,specs prescription etc.

Naturally you put them in a password protected zip before emailing them, don't you.

evo80

Been stopped a few times and just shown the police my driving licence never a problem.

You can't always rely on drive licences. Friends of ours was on a Dolmus and the police stopped it for a check and every one had to produce ID as non drivers they had to show their pass ports . This was Yalikavak area.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom