kaplumba

Because Pebble asked me to
I've been chatting to Pebble today on Facebook and what a brave lady she is. Anyway after much deliberation I told her a bit about my lovely friend Sheila. When I first saw Pebbles pic on her avatar I gasped because they looked so alike. Sheila also had a bit of an American accent due to having spent her early years there. Anyway Pebble has asked me to post Sheilas story in order to give her and others some inspiration and hope. I know there are many here who will beat their cancer totally and I don't want this story to depress anyone. This is for those who perhaps have been given a not so good prognosis.
Sheila was a dear friend who I met while a student. She was studying nursing, something she devoted her life to and spent much of it nursing cancer patients. In our youth we travelled together and had a lot of fun. Anyway she found she had breast cancer before the age of 50 when the screening kicks in. Incredibly she hadn't noticed it until it was very advanced and had spread to several places. Of course some of her doctors were also her friends and at her funeral (sadly she did die) they said that at first they only gave her a few months to live. Now this is the inspiring bit, Sheila lived well for another 6 years. She defied all odds. I am full of admiration for her. How did she do it? Well she did everything the docs told her, had all the treatments, took all the pills and then she did more. She went to a faith healer who became her close friend, she had weekly Reiki treatments, she wore the healing crystals as beads, ate healthily and she remained positive. She also continued to work as a nurse during much of this time.
She loved holidays and had been upset because she couldn't get travel insurance so I scoured the net and found a policy for her and 5 years into her illness we went to Datca. It was just as if we were in our 20's again back packing round those Greek Islands. Every time I visit now I see her there and hear her voice and yes I do get a bit weepy.
I told Pebble I had a little video of Sheila on this holiday so this is a link for you Pebble and remember this is a woman 5 years after being told she had a few months to live. Hope her story inspires you.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzA-auUX0VE]YouTube - Trip to Symi[/ame]

pebble

Jane, THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT IS INSPIRING. IT REALLY IS.
YOU JUST WATCH AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL READ THIS AND FEEL THE SPIRIT MOVE THEM.
THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL STORIES, AND I KNOW IT WAS HARD FOR YOU TO PART WITH, BUT IT IS IMPORTANT., AND I KNOW YOU HAD A TON OF ERRANDS TO RUN, AND YOU TOOK THE TIME TO POST THIS NOW, THANK YOU.

i LOVED THE VIDEO...........I THINK IT SHOULD BE A GOAL WE ALL HAVE, A TRIP BACK TO TURKEY, OR A GREEK ISLAND, WHERE WE HAD FUN, FELL IN LOVE, HAD CRUSHES, HAD THE BEST VACATION, LAZY AFTERNOONS IN THE SUN, FUNKY DINNERS ON THE MARINA, LEISURELY BREAKFASTS, EXOTIC LUNCHES, DAY BOAT TRIPS.........

JANE, THANK YOU AGAIN. I KNOW IT TOOK A LOT OUT OF YOU.

ukizook

There is ALWAYS hope. In August 2004 I was told by the Dr's to enjoy Christmas as it would be my last one. They didn't try to hide anything from me and just told me the facts as they saw them. I had a few opp's then the radiation, a few weeks into the radiation my throat closed up completely and I was fed through a tube for 12 weeks. This was when I went to our local Hospice.
What an eye opener this was, from being a totally angry and pi**ed off 44 year old, I saw real heroes in both the staff and fellow "inmates". I saw and tried many different concoctions, remidies and even faiths, which along with my new friends we had anything and everything covered.
Sadly some friends didn't make it, but a lot did and are still here today. I wish I could pass on a magic or secret ingredient but medical reserch is better at that.
The point I am leading to is that no matter what the experts say, there are still unexplained miracles. I have seen them and still talk to some of the people 5 years after they should have died.

pebble

*****YES UKI***** THANK YOU. DONT YOU AGREE EVERY STORY IS JUST GOING TO IMSPIRE US TO FIGHT EVEN HARDER?????

Thank you for re-affirming this with your story.

Bloody fantastic story Jane!!
Also thank you Ukizook
Great post.
This Cancer Corner gets more rewarding to read by the day!!

kaplumba

Ukizooks story is just great. Sheila was devoted to nursing and never married although I know she would have loved to have found the right mate and have had children. She spent her life giving comfort to so many. Maybe she is still able to do that now.

gizmo

Re: Because I want to help if poss

Jane, Many thanks for sharing! It is true - I was warned because my cancer was so advanced that there would be no guarantees that I would survive the op no mind anything else.

Here I am today, bigger and bolder than ever, 11 years on and having a whale of a time after beating it the second time (bladder). Like I said to all - enjoy life, take time out for yourself and your thoughts and avoid stress at all costs.

Cranberries and cranberry juice are very good for you and flush the kidneys out. Also honey in tea or from a spoon and tumeric in rice or spuds (potato). The odd drop of red wine helps as well!!!! Copious amounts of water will also help to flush out the chemo drugs. Any fruit or vegetable that is red should also be eaten as much as possible (read it somewhere and something must have worked for me)

Re : radiotherapy - non perfumed baby wipes are great to keep you fresh and also can used before x rays and scans. If using an under arm deodorant, please try to get one without alcohol in it. Nivea do one.

If anyone has any questions at all, please let me know and I will get back to you. I had chest ex ray monday this week and no news thus far so this is GOOD news!!Also, I have a pelvic scan on Monday next so fingers crossed all ok as I have to book my flight back to Oba soonest!!!!!

Hugs to all for now

Gizmo:blowkiss:

geordie_nev

Great stories Jane, Ukizook and Gizmo

I read the Lance Armstrong autobiography a year or two ago, really inspiring.

In his own words he was only ever an average cyclist until his fight against cancer, he went on to win the Tour de France a record breaking 7 times. If it wasn’t for his fight against his illness he would never have achieved what he has. He very modestly puts it down to the fact that he lost a little bit of weight which made him a faster athlete.

He has gone on to set up a foundation to help others.

Lance Armstrong Foundation: Home

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Excellent posts Jane and Ukizook, such inspiring stories.. it's great to hear of success stories but on the other hand upsetting to hear the sad ones.
As I've said before in another thread, cancer seems to have a hold on my family and relatives... My grandmother died of bowel cancer, my mother failed to recover from surgery for esophageal cancer, an uncle survived in a wheel chair 9 years longer than he should have after lung cancer, i now have an elderly aunt who has been diagnosed with the same cancer as my mother, she's been told she may not see Xmas.
The sad thing is because of her age (84) she's been told that they wont operate.
Another aunt had brain cancer... my sister tells me she lived 2 years longer than expected...
Quite a mixed bag eh..?
the point is, that though some fail to recover from this terrible disease others can go on to beat all expectations, with the will and courage nothing is impossible.

Alan.

Last edited:

kaplumba

We all know people who didn't make it and I bet most of us have friends and family members in that category. However what Pebble and her club must hold onto is that those people were in the past. There are new discoveries every day and now it is much more likely to be cured or live for many years longer than before. My mother died of cancer 40 years ago when she was younger than I am now but I think if I got the same one as her now my prognosis would be so much better. So all you fighters don't get gloomy, medical science is wonderful and it is there for you. We all have to die of some thing and I think those who make it to a ripe old age and then get cancer - well it's sad but something is going to get them isn't it?

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Thanks for Sheila's story Jane,
yes indeed, she is now still comforting other people..... great story, great friendship, great women

ChrisBobs

Great story and thank you Jane, for strating this thread of hope!
( but in Turkey and Youtube remains blocked any link?)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom