alfiecat

Beautiful baby!
Hi Guys,

When we were last in Yali, many people would say 'Maşallah' when they met our young daughter. Is it customary to say this equally to baby boys and baby girls instead of the English word 'Beautiful' and to rid off evil spirits?

I have looked into this, but only found info related specifically to baby boys! I would like to understand the meaning.

Thanks

Back out on the 4th June........... Can't wait!

pebble

Beautiful baby!
Yes it is customary to say Masallah to a baby, and even as they grow, in various stages of growth. It is to ward off the evil eye,

angiesco

Beautiful baby!
Yes, Alfiecat, it is said to boys and girls. If you say something complimentary to a baby (as you would of course) then you don't want to 'nazar' them.

''Nazar boncuk' being the blue eye that keeps the evil away. So, to stop any come backs from your nice words, you then say maşallah. Usually the babies have a 'nazar boncuk' pinned to them somewhere too.

Hope that helps explain it.
Angie.

Guz1

Beautiful baby!
I always assumed that Insallah was their equivalent of our expression "God willing" or "Please God" and that Masallah was similar to "thank God" or "praise God". The "allah" part suggests that God is mentioned.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom