beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Well it's comming round again only a few days to go. We are off to the family it will be the usual people people and more people not my scene and İ will take as much as İ can then off upstairs to my own home and close the door with a book. They thrive on a house packed to the gunnels and as much comming and going as the local otogare, lots of people and children and none of them fittd with a volume control O bliss - of course there are aspects İ look forward to but the crowds are not part of my enjoyment. Husband wants the packing finished at least three days before we travel - why - don't ask me İ can't get a sensible answer he is in Bayram mode and like an over excited child up and down all the time. However when we arrive he converts into mister geniality and doesn't remove the smile from hşs face unless someones child msi-behaves then out comes mister snappy, slappy.

Think İ may get a rush of religion there is a christian church and it's quıte and pearceful so may have to become somewhat more devote also they now have a very large Simit Sarayi and as owned by the family means i can go whenever İ want and now offend anyones sense of correct behaviour.

Well back to packing as İ need to iron the winter type clothes as it is cooler there and they have all been stored for the summer they look like dish rags sure İ ironed them before putting away earlier this year must be the wee folk at their tricks again you know those little buggers who bring dust bunnies to your home and sew your clothes seams up over night causing all your garments to be a bit tighter the next day - my house is infested with the sods.

ps İ hates packin it do my head in (as they say in Bristol).

Last edited:

kibris

Bayram geliyor
Have a nıce tıme--how about an ıpod ,good set of earphones and nıce soothıng musıc then at least you wont hear the noısy buggers.I was ın our lıra shop yesterday and now there ıs a specıal table at front wıth a selectıon of wıcked lookıng knıves on ıt for the kıllıng. Me,,ı stocked the frıdge,bought 10 dvd,s and treated myself to some nıce chocolate and tubs of ıce cream--wıll hıbernate and let them all get on wıth ıt.Wıll surface when ıts over.

pepperkat

From"Gods Own Country"
Bayram geliyor
We are with our Turkish neighbour Ozan,visiting his friends and relations. All of whom we have met several times when they visit him in Bodrum.
This morning there was a knock on the door, it was one of the young girls who live in the next apartment . They asked if they could borrow the vacuum, which Edil (Ozan's sister) duly lent them. We could hear furniture being moved and the vacuum being used, I said either Erdogan is coming for the Bayram or their mother is. When they brought the vacuum back Edil asked if it was either of my suggestions coming to visit. They laughed a said their parents were coming for the Bayram, but how did you know ? One day they will know:3:

louise17

Bayram geliyor
We will be off to the inlaws for similar to you Beyazbayan, lots of people that come to visit once of twice a yr then on the 2nd day we go visiting lots of people,drink tea, get fed lots of Turkish desert & melted chocolate! pack my book, iPad & chill out when I can. Happy bayram everyone :)

kibris

Bayram geliyor
One of my turkısh neıghbours ıs not happy---hıs wıfes famıly have come to stay--I bought all the food he saıd--But nothıng ıs rıght for them! All they do ıs eat and complaın! and when theyre not eatıng---theyre complaınıng!----ıyı bayramlar! lol

beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Nonsense that's a very successful Bayram - all family together making ü a fuss and complaining - think family wedding İrish style at least two good punch-ups and handbags at dawn to ensure it's seen as successful.

Last edited:

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Bayram geliyor
Just a reminder about the banks (none) opening hours during this Bayram.

The banks will close at Noon this next Monday 14th. and not re-open until the following Monday 21st. October.

"İyi Bayramlar."

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Bayram geliyor
Apologies for the 'back to back' but I've just looked up some of my past Kurban Bayram photos.

Thankfully, I'm not Vegetarian!!

Our office is directly next door to a family butcher here in Side.
Our front terrace will be completely taken over on Tuesday as people bring their cow/goat/sheep (after killing), to be butchered.

I know I shall be coming in to the same sight on Tuesday and things will not be fully back to normal for us until the Thursday morning.
Some of my pals just stay indoors during Kurban, others even leave the country, only to return when it's all over but as I chose to come and live here all those years ago, I accept that it goes with the territory.

It's all part of the culture and extra colour that's been a welcome addition to my life here.

Attachments

• SAM_7732.jpg
    SAM_7732.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
  • SAM_7733.jpg
    SAM_7733.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 35
  • SAM_7734.jpg
    SAM_7734.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 33
  • SAM_7735.jpg
    SAM_7735.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 36

beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Update -

İf he askes me again have İ packed his case İ will beat him until he is unconscious.

İf he askes me again what time the bus leaves ditto.

İf he says again ''İ can't wait to see Mammy'' ditto.

İf he says again İ am so excited (like İ haven't noticed) ditto.

İn fact if he even speaks before we are on the bus tomorrow night İ may just kill him. Thankfully once on the bus he will almost immediately go to sleep thus avoiding the annoying are we there yet at hourly intervals.

Not too long to go now and then a whole year without a repeat performence. Know how Scrouge felt about Christmas.

A89

Bayram geliyor
Update -

İf he askes me again have İ packed his case İ will beat him until he is unconscious.

İf he askes me again what time the bus leaves ditto.

İf he says again ''İ can't wait to see Mammy'' ditto.

İf he says again İ am so excited (like İ haven't noticed) ditto.

İn fact if he even speaks before we are on the bus tomorrow night İ may just kill him. Thankfully once on the bus he will almost immediately go to sleep thus avoiding the annoying are we there yet at hourly intervals.

Not too long to go now and then a whole year without a repeat performence. Know how Scrouge felt about Christmas.

hahahahaha Didnt know you had a 3 year old Aine!!!! Oh no - you mean your husband?????? - well ................. same thing!

Cant you give him one of these? :30: and put him out for a bit??

Deep breaths now!! Dont want you up on a murder charge.......

Iyi bayramlar canim!!! :party:

Alison

beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Well l have survived and so has the marriage but it may have been touch and go at times. Several family do's and a wedding with over 1000 guests non of whom came with volumn control or any sense of colour co-ordination - İn the fashion stakes I have seen it all from evening dress and high heels which of course we cannot walk on to strappy sun dress and woollen tights. The best dressed were a cousin and his wife wearing traditional clothes and they looked great. Attended the Syrıan christian church Sunday
lots of colour and chanting but three hours albeit free breakfast later tested my religious intent. Have read all my books ( yes İ should have bought a kindle) Now readiıng the classics as they are available locally in English. Hope we may go on to some other place later this week wıill just have to wait and see as planning is obviously a four letter word in this region. Met the local Alevi hoca type person today different is all İ can say was treated to some very old sagas etc and then a great dealing of blessing well lets hope it works. Suppose it has to be seen as a great opportunity to see a culture at first hand- pass me the earmuffs please.

A89

Bayram geliyor
Glad to hear you are both still alive and out of prison Ainne!! Keep it up!! Good luck with the rest of the trip!! :smile:

Alison

beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Found some English reference books art culture etc in the local lbrary begged pleaded and looked as if about to cry and they photocopied my turkish driving licence and said İ can have them for 15 days. Bliss books again. Eating less goat thankfully - don't mind it but there is a limit - thankfully we have Bim & Migros so shopping is 1quite civilised.

Possibly we are off to Amasya for a few days to see sister in law who feels left out of the Bayram scene - and she is complaining! Tried the idea of flight but a 10 hour stop over in İstanbul made it a joke so it's the bus to Merzifon then dolmus.

Now off to eat local Simit Saryı is a life line.

beyazbayan

Bayram geliyor
Still here and still surviving the weather has turned a bit wt and cool but not too bad. Off to Amasya on Tues of course plans were changed - normal - went to Gazi Antep yesterday to see the mosiacs loved them but didn't like the city a mini İstanbul too many cars and people. Also bought a carpet such small things are very important when you have to listen to four hours of family gossip. Anyway my time at intertnet cafe if up. ps You can buy english books in Gazi Antep and İ did. Will defo get a kindle soon. Can you buy them here or can you get an app for a tablet?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom