tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Basıc/begınners Turkısh cookery book (ın Englısh)

Can anyone recommend a basıc Turkısh cookery book to get me started please?
I have had a quıck look on Amazon. Nothıng fancy or too many ıngredıents (whıch I could get ın UK). Would use ıt more ın UK but nıce to brıng wıth me so not a coffee table sıze book ıf possıble (ıf really good I suppose I would get a second copy later).
Many thanks Carol x
PS loved the fruıt & veg choıce at Akbuk & Altınkum markets

nanamo

Great thread, we have been looking for a recipe book for ages too so will be interested to see if one is available. And also agree the fruit is brill, I love the litle green sour appley things which we were told were called Erics, we eat them raw but have been wondering if they can be cooked in any way. Molly x

Firebrand

As far as I know, erik is the Turkish word for plum.

LezliG

Great thread, we have been looking for a recipe book for ages too so will be interested to see if one is available. And also agree the fruit is brill, I love the litle green sour appley things which we were told were called Erics, we eat them raw but have been wondering if they can be cooked in any way. Molly x

They're unripe plums!

mariaca

Have a look at this one:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1434818853?ie=UTF8&tag=binnursturkis-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1434818853]Amazon.com: Binnur's Turkish Cookbook: Turkishcookbook.com - Delicious, healthy and easy-to-make Ottoman & Turkish recipes: Binnur Tomay: Books[/ame]

Here is her website:
Binnur's Turkish Cookbook
Recommend it :)

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
binnurs is a great site, i use it all the time, especially good now you can get it in hard copy

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
I have this book by Ghillie Basan and really like it, available on amazon...use it often

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turkish-Cooking-Ghillie-Basan/dp/1903141397/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244040497&sr=1-5"]Turkish Cooking: Amazon.co.uk: Ghillie Basan: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1903141397/sr=1-5/qid=1244040497/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books&qid=1244040497&sr=1-5"]
517YETP6ZTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
[/ame]

Sally

ChrisBobs

Try to get hold of Bodrum resident Angie Mtchell's Secrets of the Turkish Kitchen, good basic true Turkish dishes which she tried and tested down to to the last teaspoon ( I was one of the happy guinea pigs! :)), search on Google and there are several Turkish sites that sell it as well as Amazon. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Turkish-Kitchen-Angie-Mitchell/dp/9756663634]Amazon.com: Secrets of the Turkish Kitchen: Angie Mitchell: Books[/ame]

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
I second Chrisbobs recommendation for Angie Mitchell's 'Secrets of the Turkish Kitchen'. It has excellent Turkish recipes, all very easy to follow, even for a complete beginner.
You can buy it direct from Angie if you are in Turkey.

friend1957

friend1957
Dear Carol;
And all the friends in the forum.
This site that i will write has all kind of books you can download.
Those who already know will confirm this site is a tressure.
I have been using it because I like reading.
You will find even Turkish or any other cook book. Enjoy everyone.

scribd.com ( i could not write full adress becouse of forum rules)
but all is missing is the begining of the adress.

Kind regards.

I have a copy of "Classic Turkish Cooking" by Ghillie Basan - it's excellent and I have never had a failure with her recipes. The cover price was very expensive but I managed to get a copy from Amazon for £20. I believe that it is now out of print but you could try Amazon or you may find it second-hand. I thoroughly reccomend it!

dngood

Dear Carol;
And all the friends in the forum.
This site that i will write has all kind of books you can download.
Those who already know will confirm this site is a tressure.
I have been using it because I like reading.
You will find even Turkish or any other cook book. Enjoy everyone.

scribd.com ( i could not write full adress becouse of forum rules)
but all is missing is the begining of the adress.

Kind regards.

Just to follow this post up, there is a good English language Turkish cookbook on here, which is worth a quick look:
Cooking The Turkish Way

Dave.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)

Can anyone recommend a basıc Turkısh cookery book to get me started please?
I have had a quıck look on Amazon. Nothıng fancy or too many ıngredıents (whıch I could get ın UK). Would use ıt more ın UK but nıce to brıng wıth me so not a coffee table sıze book ıf possıble (ıf really good I suppose I would get a second copy later).
Many thanks Carol x
PS loved the fruıt & veg choıce at Akbuk & Altınkum markets

why dont you go to a shop like Waterstones, or a popular books shop and have a browse on the cookery section? no doubt you will come across something...

Bebelka

The best kind of Turkish cooking is when it is cooked for me,the section of where to eat in Yalikavak is my cook book!

ChrisBobs

why dont you go to a shop like Waterstones, or a popular books shop and have a browse on the cookery section? no doubt you will come across something...

So blindingly obvious...for anyone in UK...but oh boy...what wouldnt I give for a browse in real bookshop..Waterstones...dream on.. (in Bodrum)

And dont anyone start telling me about 2ndhand book scrabbling..thats different.

tinkycarol

5 a day inspiration!
Thanks for all the great responses - can´t waıt to go bookshoppıng when I get back next week (see Zuberdust - the thought had occurred to me). Let you know ın due course how ıt goes and what recıpes worked.
Regards Carol x
Had a lovely Izmır koffe but they floated chıps (cold) ın the sauce around the edge so that ıs what got me thınkıng I should have a go myself.

nanamo

Hows this for good service - bought Turkish Cooking by Ghillie Basan from Amazon on Thursday afternoon and it arrived this morning. A quick look through over breakie and it looks easy with some nice recipies, will let you know how they turn out. Thanks for all your suggestions. Molly x

So blindingly obvious...for anyone in UK...but oh boy...what wouldnt I give for a browse in real bookshop..Waterstones...dream on.. (in Bodrum)

And dont anyone start telling me about 2ndhand book scrabbling..thats different.

Take the ferry to Datca and visit Cevan Bookshop, between the hospital and the Teachers House - English, Turkish and German books, new and second-hand, and a good range of Turkish authors translated into English. :cheer2:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom