jem2

banking enquiry
Hi Everyone, We are renting an apartment in Akbuk for 10 weeks in March 2010 and was wondering what is the best way of transferring some money to a bank in Turkey so we dont have to carry a lot of cash with us. I don't wish to use my english visa or debit card as I am a skinflint and begrudge paying their charges. We are also in Akbuk from 5th September 2009 for three weeks so hopefully we might be able to arrange something whilst we are here this time.

Many thanks

RIK

banking enquiry
depends who you bank with.HSBC UK to HSBC Turkey will cost 10 pounds.Other banks to your bank in Turkey can cost anything from 25 to 35 pounds.If you want to open a new account with a Turkish Bank then you need a Turkish Tax No.There is lots of in fo on here in the search forum at the top of the page.

Ian

Robert

banking enquiry
I thought you could not open a bank account in Turkey unless you OWNED a property in Turkey.

RIK

banking enquiry
Hi Robert.You can open a Bank Account in Turkey with your UK Water Bill, Electric Bill or Gas Bill as long as it has your Name and UK address.Or if you live here, then with a Rental Contract or your Tapu.Then you do need a Turkish Tax No. for any of the above.

Ian

bobthenob

Non Active Member
banking enquiry
Before you can open a Turkish bank account,you need a few things.
1/Get yourself a tax number.You must have on you your passport,and other identification.You cannot open a Turkish bank account without the tax number

2/After that go to the HSBC branch in Altinkum,because there 2 guy’s there that speaks perfect English.
3/You are only allowed to open a current account and a sterling account.But once you have a fixed address in Turkey,then you are allowed to open a savings account.

If you want,l can give you this guy’s tel number,so you can speak to him directly to make an appointment.

Once you have opened the sterling account.The money from England will actomactically go into your sterling account,once you give the details to the English bank.
The charges are for transferring from England to Turkey’s HSBC account is 15£ on line,l think there was an offer on for reclaiming 5 quid in the pass.l don’t know if it still going.
But doing it off line is a transfer of around the 28 quid mark for 150 quid.This can vary.
You can use a travelex pre paid debit card.
How to use it is ,by being issued with 2 cards of the same account.Use one too load the money into the English account and the other card can be used to withdraw money out while in Turkey.This should cost you 2.50

l think that's about it.Let me know and l'll pm you the number.He is a very helpful guy.

Last edited:

wesaaron

banking enquiry
My wife and me opened a joint account a few weeks ago at the Bodrum branch of HSBC, we needed passports, driving licences and Turkish tax numbers, I believe a british utility bill would have been OK instead of driving licences.
We opened two current accounts one GBP and the other TL, strangely (I thought) we did not have to deposit any money at the time of opening.
To get debit cards takes 2 or 3 weeks so all we have to do is email the bank a few weeks before our next visit to Turkey and they will have them ready for collection.

Peregrine

banking enquiry
got myself euro, Lira and sterling accounts at HSBC in Kusadasi

wasnt asked if I had a house in Turkey

have a Turkish atm card so can get cash out at a variety of locations

have internet access so can transfer between the different currencies at will (no charge)

dont know what all the fuss is about

jem2

banking enquiry
Hi Bobthenob. Thanks for the information. Think we might go down the travelex route for now and if we decide to move to Akbuk for longer we will take you up on the offer of the telephone no.

kind regards
jem2

Last edited:

eamonn1

banking enquiry
I sent money (Sterling) over HSBC (UK) to HSBC (Marmaris) last week using the internet, I was charged £17.00. I unwittingly ticked the box "pay all charges" as I thought that going from my account (UK) to my account (Marmaris) what other charges could there be but 4/5 days later I received a letter from HSBC showing that I had been charged another £17.50p by HSBC (Istanbul - Headquarters) for forwarding the money to my Marmaris branch. I called in to my local branch in the UK and all they could say was I should not have ticked the "Pay all charges" box, just the box to say I will only pay charges from UK side. I have in the passed called in to the bank and got them to send money via the form filling route and was charged £10.00p but the cost is definately £17.00 now, whichever way you choose to send it by HSBC.

banking enquiry
hsbc uk & turkey have an account called "premier", in uk you must have £50,000 in turkey 100,000 ytl. you only need the money in one. show your card to the bank that has not got the large amount in, and you automaticaly become a premier customer in the other, in fact in any hsbc bank in the world. you can then internet or phone bank to and from, any amount for free. transactions take seconds, you can keep an eye on your accounts, watch the rates. brilliant. you also get free travel ins.

Akbuk Rob

banking enquiry
From HSBC Turkey website today:-

To be an HSBC Premier customer

We require a balance of a minimum TRY 75,000 or equivalent with HSBC (Your balance may consist of TRY/FX Time/Demand Deposit, Private Pension, Mutual Fund, TRY/FX Treasury Bills/Government Bonds/Eurobond, Portfolio Management and/or Equity.)

In the event that your balance does not meet the specified criteria 6 months consequitively. TRY 15 will be collected from your HSBC Premier account monthly. If your balance is lower than the specified criteria and you do not want to pay fee, you will no longer be able to benefit from the features of HSBC Premier.

So now reduced from 100,000 TL to 75,000 TL . . . . appears we are now letting poor people join the club :21:

madcilcis

banking enquiry
Hi Bobthenob. Thanks for the information. Think we might go down the travelex route for now and if we decide to move to Akbuk for longer we will take you up on the offer of the telephone no.

kind regards
jem2

I am glad to find your site - now I know what a good one looks like.
Very good topic to share with us. Great info.:clap:

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
banking enquiry
NONE of the banks should make a charge for receiving money, where ever it comes from! Garanti Bank have charged us 29tl several times now, and each time we demand it back. Eamonn1, ask to see the branch manager and request a refund, they are all desperate for business at the moment so should be very keen to please. We also bank with Yapi Kredi and they do NOT charge.

Beware!! Always check your bank books carefully for the above and undeclared bank charges.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom