moortenerife

moortenerife
bank charges
i wonder if anyone can help, we send money from our first direct account to the deniz bank in turkey every month, first direct charge us £25 to do this. for eight months this has been straightforward and although £25 is a lot to have to pay there is no other solution as far as we can see as our mortgage is in sterling. if we had our mortgage in lira there is a company who could do the transfer free, as they make there money on the exchange rate. however in the last three months i have been getting charges coming back of around £18-£20, when i have contacted first direct they say that the charge is being applied by the receiving bank, they cannot understand why they have only just started doing this either as i have always said when making the payment that the amount i am sending is the amount the bank must receive, and they put the message saying any charges to be applied here. when i question deniz bank they say we are getting charged this extra amount from our english bank, first direct say that it is the deniz bank. all i know is that for eight months we have not had these extra charges, so why now. can anyone throw any light on this please, i know one solution would be to send more than one months payment at a time but this is not always possible. also does anyone know, if i had a hsbc bank account in turkey and sent the payment through hsbc here, i know they only charge £10 but how much would it then cost to have the money then transfered from hsbc turkey to the deniz bank. i would be grateful for any help on this matter, thanks.

Maisie

bank charges
We had a similar problem. Also told by UK bank they had no choice as the receiving bank was making the charge. The Turkish bank flatly denied this. Could not get anywhere with the UK bank. However, as we knew that the Turkish bank was not making any charge, we have subsequently sent sterling to the Turkish sterling account, but ticked the box to say that any additional charges would be paid by the receiver, i.e. us. This works, and there have been no additional charges made after the initial transfer fee paid at the UK end. Maisie

bank charges
HBOS only charge £9.50 to send any amount to a Turkish account from the UK if you do it online. It may be worth opening an HBOS account just for that purpose. At least its better than £25 a time.

bank charges
Halifax only charge £9.95 to send our GBP to our Turkish bank and no futher fees added. Done this several times in the past.

crystalclear

butt007

Warren
bank charges
Received my bank statement for Jan 2nd to Feb 2nd from HSBC England today, I have a standing order which every 3 months pays all our pensions into our HSBC account Alanya.
It was always just £10 per transfer but on the statement it is now £40 for a standing order. I thought the £40 was for occasional transfers maybe it was me missunderstanding it, I think I remember someone saying doing it on the internet the charge was only £20, so reckon will have to cancel S.O. and do it that way.
They are goddam robbers are'nt they, saw on BBC WORLD tonight Barclays made their best yearly profit 2009 of 11 billion pounds, jeez.
Warren:(

bank charges
Received my bank statement for Jan 2nd to Feb 2nd from HSBC England today, I have a standing order which every 3 months pays all our pensions into our HSBC account Alanya.
It was always just £10 per transfer but on the statement it is now £40 for a standing order. I thought the £40 was for occasional transfers maybe it was me missunderstanding it, I think I remember someone saying doing it on the internet the charge was only £20, so reckon will have to cancel S.O. and do it that way.
They are goddam robbers are'nt they, saw on BBC WORLD tonight Barclays made their best yearly profit 2009 of 11 billion pounds, jeez.
Warren:(

Warren, I have both my pensions paid into my Nationwide Flex account, I draw money out from any bank here (or anywhere in the world!) as I need it -total charge zilch! At Garanti I can draw TLira, Sterling or Euros, whichever I need.

When I was organising everything for my move to Datca I talked to HSBC - my bank for more than 40 years - but was outraged at the proposed charges. I had read on this Forum that Nationwide made no charges, went to see them and opened my account there and then.

I can transfer money into my savings account, set up standing orders etc and see all my statements online. I have been extremely satisfied with Nationwide's service and certainly would not consider a return to HSBC.:smile:

jandj

bank charges
I agree with Yildez. I get my UK money paid into Nationwide and withdraw it at no cost at any ATM. The exchange rate is always equal to or better than the latest Turkish bank rate.
As Yildez says, I can transfer funds and via internet banking its just so easy.

garanphill

bank charges
I Have always used HIFX for transfer of money, they will transfer money from UK to lira at no cost at all, if the receiving bank charges anything, they will refund that cost as well. You can use them for regular monthly payments of one off amounts.
Gareth

Latest Posts

Top Bottom