royalken

Bank accounts that need proof of residency
Hello everyone !!,
Does anyone know the latest about this banking issue, Is it safe to put money into a bank account, if you are not a resident in Turkey ?

If anyone can help, I would appreciate your comments !

Thank you

Ken

hijo

in my own clique
... don,t see why not ..don,t forget to get a tax number first though..:horse:

Harem

I've cliqued
What is this banking issue? What have I missed now??

Sara-666

We got a text and an e-mail from HSBC telling us that we had until the 15th june to take a utility bill/residents permit into our main branch in Bodrum to confirm our address here or our accounts would be frozen. Presume we're not the only ones?

Sara

teresa

Free Thinker
Perhaps it is a reference to having to provide proof of address?

As I understand it you need to provide proof of your UK address if that is your main residence in the form of utility bills or something similar. You will also need a Turkish tax number as has been stated.

If that isn't what you were asking then apologies and I echo Harem's post.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
I think I have read somewhere that you now need a residence permit to open bank account which is what this thread seems to be about.

However I have just checked the Garanti Bank website and it says on there that you need

A copy of your passport
Tax identification number
A residence address in Turkey for deliveries of statements and other notifications
Residence permit (if applicable)

Not sure what circumstances you would need the last item as it doesn't say.

On Finansbank it makes no reference to the residence permit requirement.

It looks like for certain accounts with Garanti Bank you do need a residence permit. But what they are I haven't a clue.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
It's not about proving residency. It applies to all existing Turkish bank account holders, not just expats and is linked to the EU's Anti-Money Laundering policies. In the the past Turkish banks have accepted almost any address without proof. Now they are having to bring their systems up to date.

It was originally to be the 1st January but it was put back to the 1st June after protests to government from the banks.

Although, individual banks are are putting a different June deadline on it, the rule is that you should provide proof of address in either Turkey or your home country to your Turkish bank in the form of a copy of a utility bill in the name in which the bank account is held, by the 1st June 2009 or your account will be frozen until you supply the required information.

However, if you pay any of your Turkish utility bills by direct debit, you shouldn't have any problem as you would have had to produce the necessary document when setting up the DD at the branch.

Last edited:

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
This is confusing but I'm not surprised at that. This subject has been discussed before and at that time I checked if I needed to produce anything to my bank (Garanti).

I also checked with friends who are resident in Turkey and they never heard of this - 'rubbish' in fact one of them said!

I've just logged in and checked the Garanti bank website - it doesn't say anything about this nor are there any personal messages for me. There is also no correspondence from the bank at my apt.

How are people finding this out and is it written anywhere?

C

Akasya

Postless Pointer
We bank at Finansbak, our account is about 3 years old. Last november the access online to the account was frozen. In march we went to the branch, produced the necessary documents once again, and signed 96 sheets of paper, in English and Turkish. We were called back to the branch that afternoon and asked to sign 6 more sheets of the Banking contract which were missed earlier. Boy did my hand ache. Bet none of the signatures were in any way similar to each other.

full access ( pun intended ) was granted the next day.
Steve.

LeylanTiger

I have just done this last week. My Accounts are with Fortis in Fethiye and I have become quite friendly with the manager.
All he asked was my proof of UK residency in order to satisfy the government requirements. I just showed him a copy of my Community charge invoice from the Uk and when he had finished laughing he said that was sufficient.

nessie53

Hi Everyone
I have just returned from Bodrum last week and opened a bank account with HSBC while I was there. Before going I had asked my solicitor in Bodrum what documents I would need and was told a bank statement, passport and tax number. When I went to the bank they then told me I needed proof of my address in the UK other than my bank statement. Utility bill or driving licence would have been ok. I then had to get my daughter to email copies of the bills to the bank and that was acceptable. Went back the next day and it was sorted. They are only now applying the laws that we have had for a number of years. I did not know which bank I was going to open an account with until I got there otherwise I would have made a phone call to them to confirm what was needed. It seems that laws get changed but too many people who should be able to help you i.e. solicitor do not seem to be aware of changes.
Hope this has helped in some way

JML

I have a residence permit and pay utility bills (electric phone ets) by direct debit, but I had to take my passport to the bank was told it was to be done before mid June it is to do with money laundering.If you don't do it your acc will be frozen.
Was also told to open a bank acc now you need a residence permit but if you already have an ac it will not apply, but you must check what is needed re the money laundering thing and do it before mid June.

royalken

Hi Everyone
Thankyou all for your help and comments on this banking issue, I found it very informative, I will take a UK utility bill and my driving licience with me when I visit my Turkish bank, later this month.
Thank you again.
Ken

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Hi Everyone
Thankyou all for your help and comments on this banking issue, I found it very informative, I will take a UK utility bill and my driving licience with me when I visit my Turkish bank, later this month.
Thank you again.
Ken

Dont forget your passport !!

miela

Im just back from Yalikavak and went to the guarante bank ready to show them that I really existed and where I lived. They passed me from one person to the other and politely copied my information but asked me why I had brought it to them. Is this an urban myth?

james fowler

Retired to Yalikavak
Im just back from Yalikavak and went to the guarante bank ready to show them that I really existed and where I lived. They passed me from one person to the other and politely copied my information but asked me why I had brought it to them. Is this an urban myth?

My wife did the same 2 weeks ago took passports,co-op membership papers, tax cards & uk utility bills to garantee bank & was told they did not need any of it so maybe for people who have been banking for a while & own a property it is a urban myth

Apart from asking for a utility bill the banks are also entitled to ask for an official translation of that bill to Turkish. If you can't offer a translation the bank will arrange one for you ----about 300 Tl being the going rate.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom