Bubs

Bank Accounts Frozen
Hi Everyone,
Just wondered if everyone knew this bit of info I learned today. You might have been receiving notes from your banks on the internet. I had to have mine from AKbank translated but the banks need evidence of your residence or by the end of September they will freeze your accounts. Maybe you gave evidence as you were opening your accounts but I didn't so just a warning.

Martyn

Bank Accounts Frozen
I didn't think you needed residence for a bank account. I have one for a few years with Akbank but never use it.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Bank Accounts Frozen
It is part of their 'anti-money laundering', 'anti-tax evasion' strategy, so they want to know that people are 'real people' and not criminals hiding cash. So if you are of that persuasion, you will need to find another country, or get a utility bill.

Ian

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Bank Accounts Frozen
This is not being done by every bank though. I have checked this with my branch of Garanti and they told me they only require this for Turkish residents, and that my account will not be frozen as I produced all required documentation when I opened my account.

I know other foreigners though that have been required to produce documents to their particular banks.

It's the usual inconsistent shambles resulting in confusion and worry for many......

C

DtB

Bank Accounts Frozen
It is part of their 'anti-money laundering', 'anti-tax evasion' strategy, so they want to know that people are 'real people' and not criminals hiding cash. So if you are of that persuasion, you will need to find another country, or get a utility bill.

Ian

Let's face it, if you're into money laundering and/or other criminal activities getting a utility bill or such will be the least of your problems.......................:95im:

Bubs

Bank Accounts Frozen
It's actually proof of your residence in the UK, and yes I assumed it is against money laundering.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Bank Accounts Frozen
It was one of the requirements of EU membership that they tightened up on banking and fraud: this is the result. Another, which I think was also EU linked, but it could be IMF, was that they tackled tax evasion.
All the information from bank accounts ( and tax) is shared with other countries who check to see that (for example) UK residents have declared their overseas assets.

Ian

Sarahlou

Bank Accounts Frozen
Hi Ceemac, I am also with Garanti bank. In May I transferred sterling to an account which we hadn't used in a while. I telephoned them to ask them if it was ok to transfer the money to that particular account, the lady on the phone told me I had to take a utility bill from home with me to have it recorded by them because I don't have any utility bills in Turkey yet. I took 2 utility bills for myself and my husband together with a bank statement each from home, they already had copies of our passports. The girl on the counter took the documentation from us and kept it to scan it into their system later.

Tavey

Bubs

Bank Accounts Frozen
It was one of the requirements of EU membership that they tightened up on banking and fraud: this is the result. Another, which I think was also EU linked, but it could be IMF, was that they tackled tax evasion.
All the information from bank accounts ( and tax) is shared with other countries who check to see that (for example) UK residents have declared their overseas assets.

Ian

Thanks for that info, we were trying to make sense of it:biggrin:

Bank Accounts Frozen
bubs,can you tell me why you need to show proof that you have a residence ın the uk,and what ıf you no longer have a uk resıdence?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom