mollag

Kipper restorer
Bank account freezing
It seems that the Turk govt has decreed that all turkish account holders should provide proof of residency to their bank before 15th Dec or the accounts will be blocked.
This has come from details on another site and i did inform friends of ours in Turg who checked at their bank who confirmed it.

Might be worth contacting you banks to find further details.
 

Helenm150

Member
Bank account freezing
Well I get regular emails from Garanti Bank so if there was any such requirement I assume they would notify their customers this way?
 

mollag

Kipper restorer
Bank account freezing
Usual Turkey, some banks plead ignorance but others confirm.

Tipped the wink to friends yesterday, they went to the Garanti in Turg who took photocops of their ikamets, Some banks are texting customers with the warning.
 

Helenm150

Member
Bank account freezing
but I don't believe it - how about homeowners who only come on holiday a couple of weeks a year but who have bank accounts here to pay their utility bills - do you think it is logical that the Turkish government would expect them all to apply for residency? I bet Garanti Bank were absolutely baffled when these friends of yours pitched up asking for their ikamets to be photocopied!
 

Harem

I've cliqued
Bank account freezing
There is another thread about this - can't think of the heading though
 

Lindacm

Member
Bank account freezing
Helenm150 said:
but I don't believe it - how about homeowners who only come on holiday a couple of weeks a year but who have bank accounts here to pay their utility bills - do you think it is logical that the Turkish government would expect them all to apply for residency? I bet Garanti Bank were absolutely baffled when these friends of yours pitched up asking for their ikamets to be photocopied!

Garanti bank in Dalaman told me last week that it was for Turkish customers only.
 

Helenm150

Member
Bank account freezing
mollag said:
Usual Turkey, some banks plead ignorance but others confirm.

Tipped the wink to friends yesterday, they went to the Garanti in Turg who took photocops of their ikamets, Some banks are texting customers with the warning.
TURKISH ACCOUNT HOLDERS: were your friends that you "tipped the wink to" Turkish?
 

alison09400

Moderator
Bank account freezing
Helenm150 said:
Well I get regular emails from Garanti Bank so if there was any such requirement I assume they would notify their customers this way?

They sent me a text message; also got one from the HSBC. I still haven't found out if it's only for turkish/dual nationals or for everyone including foreigners.
 

RIK

Member
Bank account freezing
We were in HSBC Antalya yesterday and asked about this.The girl phoned someone Higher Up and the answer was no we don't need to do anything.However, lots of Turks showing Utility bills etc and lots of Photocopying going on so I guess it's just for Turks.

Ian
 

kevkj

Member
Bank account freezing
Well i emailed denizbank and they told me to send a copy of my driving licence or a uk utility bill for my home address.

It seems its all about updating account holders addresses.
 

Helenm150

Member
Bank account freezing
If I was sitting having a nice lunch or planning some other pleasant way of spending my day and someone "in the know" told me OK forget that get yourself down to Garanti bank pronto and get a photocopy taken of your papers or your bank account will be frozen on or before 15 December - now would I allow that to disturb my equilibrium - NO, COZ IF MY BANK WANT ME TO TODDLE OFF THERE WITH ANY PAPERS THEN THEY WOULD CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AND TELL ME NOW WOULDN'T THEY!
 

SAMIMI

Member
Bank account freezing
My bank have not e-mailed me and I will not be in Turkey until 2009. My accountant has not contacted me either so I guess no action needed. I usually bring the driving licence with me to Turkey anyway, so they can photocopy it then if they want. They already have a copy of my passport and a sample of my signature. I guess that is why they do not need the utility bill.
 

Dalaman Deli

Loving Life in Turkey!
Bank account freezing
My husband spoke to the manager at the İş bank in Dalaman yesterday and he said it was only for Turkish account holders.
 

Helenm150

Member
Bank account freezing
Why is this thread on both the Turgutreis and Gumusluk Forums - are the banking laws different in each resort (tongue in cheek) - actually why isn't this thread on the Banking and Finance Forum?
 
Bank account freezing
As we posted on the first thread:- We have an account with HSBC Bodrum and got an email in Turkish which mentioned 15th December & Law.

I rang HSBC Turkey who told me to fax them one of my UK utility bills showing proof of address in UK. I think it is to do with preventing money laundering.

I'm not Turkish and the guy at the bank couldn't have thought I was!
 

dazkad

Member
Bank account freezing
Miss Money Penny said:
As we posted on the first thread:- We have an account with HSBC Bodrum and got an email in Turkish which mentioned 15th December & Law.

I rang HSBC Turkey who told me to fax them one of my UK utility bills showing proof of address in UK. I think it is to do with preventing money laundering.

I'm not Turkish and the guy at the bank couldn't have thought I was!
same for me. got the same email in Turkish and faxed over info yesterday
 

Aegean Emerald

Property Advisor
Bank account freezing
Helenm150 said:
If I was sitting having a nice lunch or planning some other pleasant way of spending my day and someone "in the know" told me OK forget that get yourself down to Garanti bank pronto and get a photocopy taken of your papers or your bank account will be frozen on or before 15 December - now would I allow that to disturb my equilibrium - NO, COZ IF MY BANK WANT ME TO TODDLE OFF THERE WITH ANY PAPERS THEN THEY WOULD CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AND TELL ME NOW WOULDN'T THEY!
and
Samimi said:
My bank have not e-mailed me and I will not be in Turkey until 2009. My accountant has not contacted me either so I guess no action needed. I usually bring the driving licence with me to Turkey anyway, so they can photocopy it then if they want. They already have a copy of my passport and a sample of my signature. I guess that is why they do not need the utility bill

whilst it does appear to be the case that this only applies to Turkish citizens, it is naiive to assume that the banks will contact you! banks in Turkey are notorious for not sending correspondence! don't assume they will contact you.

As another poster said, it seems to be only for Turkish citizens, however the majority of bank staff don't really know what is going on. The girl we deal with told my partner (Turkish) that I must get residency and then show it to them or my a/c would be frozen. (have had residencey in the past but let it lapse this year as I spent more time in Ireland than here!)
Anyway......
Spoke to the bank manager and this is nonsense. The manager of Garanti bank asked my friend for proof of address in Ireland - she gave her driving licence, and that was fine. The manager of my bank told me that even that was not necessary (but I got him to take a photocopy anyway!)

seems that what you hear differs depending on which bank you ask! but either way I certainly wouldn't be blindly trusting the bank to contact me and inform me of what is going on - they are rubbish at that in general!
 

kiaya

Member
Bank account freezing
Like Alison09400 I have received e-mail,text and was informed when I was in the bank on other business about it. This was in the HSBC by Oasis and whether HSBC Turkiye has completely got the wrong end of the stick regarding this I wouldn't like guess. I have already posted on the 15th Dec thread and I am only relating my experience but also knowing the bureaucracy of this country I would rather be safe than sorry.

On the other hand it could be just that we are Scousers.
 

Latest Posts

Top Bottom