gam101

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Ola folks!

Quick question please;

When renting, is it possible/permissible to BBQ :flame: with a small gas grill in apartments on the balcony, generally speaking?

We are still new & settling in around Istanbul, so the above info. is appreciated.

Thank you.

:thanks:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Much debated topic, someone will always tell you it is forbidden. I always did it. We had Turkish guests in our villa in Bodrum when we were not there. the neighbour, who had not complained to us about barbies, complained to them ( he thought they were foreign as the whole family communicated in English). The father told him where to get off in colloquial Izmir speak!

enoch

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Ola folks!

Quick question please;

When renting, is it possible/permissible to BBQ :flame: with a small gas grill in apartments on the balcony, generally speaking?

We are still new & settling in around Istanbul, so the above info. is appreciated.

Thank you.

:thanks:

I have always done it with gas it's the coal ones that are the problem because the turkish always put the meat before the coals are ready and you would think it was a forest fire rather than a BQ

gam101

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Much debated topic, someone will always tell you it is forbidden. I always did it. We had Turkish guests in our villa in Bodrum when we were not there. the neighbour, who had not complained to us about barbies, complained to them ( he thought they were foreign as the whole family communicated in English). The father told him where to get off in colloquial Izmir speak!

LOL!!!! I would have loved to see the look on the neighbors face in that conversation ! :9:

But, that's a villa though IbrahimAbi. I was asking about an apartment/flat with a balcony, say on the 3rd or 4th floor.

Are there any (for example) restrictions due to fire hazard by the fire department, etc?

Thanks again!

SLEEPY

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Never had a problem over the years I rented with either gas or charcoal ...

Last edited:

gam101

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
I have always done it with gas it's the coal ones that are the problem because the turkish always put the meat before the coals are ready and you would think it was a forest fire rather than a BQ

Yes, I've always been a "gas griller" myself too, compared to coals. Too much work, and too much after-cooking cleanup with the coals.

But we are in Turkey now....so I need to know what can and cannot be done without ruffling feathers. :)

shash

shash
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
I think if you are in an apartment you have to think ' what would I do if the smoke and sometimes fetid smell comes into my apartment '
I personally wouldn't do it in an apartment setting and I would hope that others wouldn't.
Last year my next door neighbour was bbqing almost in my garden and the smell had me wretching (was like off meat). My other Turkish neighbour heard me and came running in saw what was happening through the fetid smoke then ran back out yelling at the fellow countrymen/woman ...... end of bbq. But then they decided to send me a plate of said fetid meat as an apology. Luckily my great neighbour saw the horror on my face (I couldn't fake a good face like often one has to) and the food was refused.
I had to wash all my blinds and curtains next day as the stench was still there.
So I'd definitely stick to a good bbq practice just dont bother bbqing.

enoch

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
I think if you are in an apartment you have to think ' what would I do if the smoke and sometimes fetid smell comes into my apartment '
I personally wouldn't do it in an apartment setting and I would hope that others wouldn't.
Last year my next door neighbour was bbqing almost in my garden and the smell had me wretching (was like off meat). My other Turkish neighbour heard me and came running in saw what was happening through the fetid smoke then ran back out yelling at the fellow countrymen/woman ...... end of bbq. But then they decided to send me a plate of said fetid meat as an apology. Luckily my great neighbour saw the horror on my face (I couldn't fake a good face like often one has to) and the food was refused.
I had to wash all my blinds and curtains next day as the stench was still there.
So I'd definitely stick to a good bbq practice just dont bother bbqing.

I use gas and an electric grill with the grill lt much cleaner than gas you never get smoke. But for some reason people like smokey meat not my cup of tea.

gam101

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
BBQ update:

There are times when a man must admit to his mistakes....the disasters caused....the upheaval resulted. This is one of those times.... :(

So I got myself an electric grill....you know being a BBQ enthusiast and all....was very excited....had the chicken cut-up, marinated overnight, got the grill ready the next day, fired it up!

I'm even sharing a picture of it below....

And then guess what....20 minutes later the apartment was choked up with smoke...had to open up windows all the way...there was a mini fire in the grill...and then POOF! The grill went bust! Stopped working! Should have known spicy marinated tandoori chicken is too much for an electric grill..... :wow:

This was suppose to my BBQ happy dance... :tigger:

But it became... :splat:

Back to the BBQ drawing board....:hmm:

Attachments

• BBQ disaster.jpg
    BBQ disaster.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

enoch

Balcony BBQ / grilling?
BBQ update:

There are times when a man must admit to his mistakes....the disasters caused....the upheaval resulted. This is one of those times.... :(

So I got myself an electric grill....you know being a BBQ enthusiast and all....was very excited....had the chicken cut-up, marinated overnight, got the grill ready the next day, fired it up!

I'm even sharing a picture of it below....

And then guess what....20 minutes later the apartment was choked up with smoke...had to open up windows all the way...there was a mini fire in the grill...and then POOF! The grill went bust! Stopped working! Should have known spicy marinated tandoori chicken is too much for an electric grill..... :wow:

This was suppose to my BBQ happy dance... :tigger:

But it became... :splat:

Back to the BBQ drawing board....:hmm:
That's because you have got the one with the slits in and let's all the fat on to the elements. Never had a problem with our kumtel.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
There is no BBQ without coals and fire! Go back to basics, matches, kindling sticks and charcoal, We smoked a whole chicken the other day, took 4 hours, but what else to do in lockdown? Good luck with th next venture, did you make the marinade from scratch?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
We use a gas bbq with a stainless steel fluted hotplate similar to restaurant grills , this we cover with a black ceramic sheet which keeps everything non stick and clean , no drip through . Ceramic sheet £3.00 from ebay .

Fire without smoke .

Steve

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
We use a gas bbq with a stainless steel fluted hotplate similar to restaurant grills , this we cover with a black ceramic sheet which keeps everything non stick and clean , no drip through . Ceramic sheet £3.00 from ebay .

Fire without smoke .

Steve

Please call it a gas grill, no barbeque without real charcoal or wood! TLF cannot afford a court case you know.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Balcony BBQ / grilling?
Please call it a gas grill, no barbeque without real charcoal or wood! TLF cannot afford a court case you know.

Right , that is it , editorial interference , where is the duty to ensure free speech enshrined on these hallowed pages ?

What is a gas fired cook out , utilising lava rock as coals , called in Turkey ?

LOL

Steve

Latest Posts

Top Bottom