Back from Akbuk missing it already
Hello
had a great holiday to Akbuk, although start of it was very stressful. We flew out on Friday morning from Gatwick to Izmir and reached our house in Akbuk around midnight to find no water on and flakey paint everywhere. Swept worst of paint up and hit the sack hoping water would be back on next day. Sadly it was not. Luckily our site manager lives next to us and walked past and she asked the site caretaker to check our water problem out as other houses were connected, so the prob was with our house only. He came around about 5pm, after he finished his days work I guess and dug garden up to get to water mains pipe. It was blocked with something that looked like plant roots. After a couple of hours and now dark, we all thought it was fixed. Taps were working ok and hole filled in. Mehmet left and we went inside to shower and no water, lol....

Seems more rubbish had come down pipe and it was blocked again. Now 9pm at night and not showered since yesterday morning, we threw our gear into a bag and headed for Derby Hotel for a good shower and a meal, not eaten all day as no food in house. Was feeling very stressed and tired by now and a good shower and meal and then bed was just the ticket. Had a great breakfast next day at Derby Hotel and headed back to our house. Mehmet came straight away and took a look and promised to come back at 5pm to fix it. He arrived on time and within an hour cleared blockage and we double checked it was clear before filling hole in this time..Thanks to Mehmet for sorting it,, nice man.

Water back on and stress gone...now for the flakey paint, had paint falling off walls and ceilings everywhere, guess because house has not been aired for a long while. Also think neighbours drainpipe on side of our house maybe slightly leeking, causing dampness in our house. A neighbour up our road took a look and said he would have a word with site manager to let our next door neighbours know, to check their drainpipe etc. He was a very nice helpful man, has a cushion shop down Akbuk seafront and hangs out in Celebi restaurant, where we went alot during our stay. Rubbed paint down and will sort it on our next hol.

So everything sorted, we went to Bodrum for a couple of days. Enjoyed it and found it beautiful there. Then had a quick drive around coast before heading back to Akbuk.

Akbuk has not changd that much since my last visit one year ago, apart from a couple of new bars. I really enjoyed Celebei, which is my new fav place to eat and Harbour Bar done a great curry and prices of drinks were good too, so was service . Tried the place next door to Celebei, which was once Jokers which was also very good indeed, lovely food and service and sens prices. And had a couple of take outs from Pizza Hatti which were yummy. Sumer Cafe done lovely fish for 10tl and they are currently doing lot's of work there, smarting the place up etc. Also met Maggie and Nik and had a great time..

I feel really at home in Akbuk and fully understand why people want to live there, have hols there. I loved walking along the beach on my last day and eating a meal of fresh fish. I miss Akbuk already and am not leaving it another year until my next trip. Going again Sept time hopefully. It's just so relaxing and people are so helpful and kind, in a genuine way. Also polite and not over the top, like in some places. Think I will be booking my next flight up real soon,,,,

Cheers

Last edited:

maggie

Was lovelley to see you two too.!!!!!!

Nik and I were saying shame your not here all year round as we had such a lovelley afternoon with you.

Thanks again for the goodies your both stars.!!!!!!! CADBURYS CREAM EGGS !!!! sooooooooooooooooo yummie.

Look forward to your next visit until then take care.

HUGS Maggie xxxxx

Hello Maggie,,,,
totally thinking about moving there. Been looking at flights online just now ,lol, for Sept. Yes really looking forward to meeting you both again....and I am sure I will have some room for a few goodies again ;-)

Cheers

We got back from Akbuk at the end of last week.We have been looking at it for nearly 2 years now and this was our first actual visit.
We loved it.It was even better than we hoped it would be.Akbuk,for us,has everything.Its very pretty,got shops,supermarkets,bars and some really good places to eat.We liked Pasa's,Pizza Hatti's and the Aquarium.I have never seen bread as big as we had in Pizza Hatti's,great meze too and free.
We spent the week looking for a place to buy,we dont drive so location is critical,but we found exactly what we wanted and in the right place,so we are now the future owners of a 3 bed villa in the middle of Akbuk.We are hoping to be back in about 4 weeks time and that will be it,we will be staying fulltime.Like you,we cant wait to get back and look forward to many happy years in Akbuk.By the way,thanks to the Tea Pot for some great lunches.
AKBUK HERE WE COME!!!

Rachel100, great to hear of another happy home owner in turkey, despite a few problems!

Dancing Queen, hope all goes well with your purchase!!

Rachel, we are over in Akbuk to our house there in 10 days for a fortnight stay.
It has been empty since last August, so you never know what you are going to find.
I have heard it has been a bad winter in the area.
If you don't mind telling us, who is this Mehmet you mentioned?
Does he only do repairs on your site?
Only it's nice to know someone if he is good and reliable.
Also, anyone know how much it is to stay per night at the Derby Hotel in Akbuk?
Just in case we need too...!
Thanks.
Pesimisstic Mel (and Anne)

smikers

Hi Rachel and Dancing Queen, it's nice to read your posts. We spoke very briefly Rachel when you were over, I live just down the street from your house, my son and I found Mehmet for your husband. Hope to meet you again when your over, hopefully you'll be able to stay in your own house this time. Dancing Queen, hope the big move goes well for you all and we look forward to meeting you too.

Hello Mel and Anne

Mehmet works on our site,, he is site caretaker. Dont know if he does jobs off the site,, he speaks no English and we dont speak any Turkish at the moment....We paid £25 to stay in Derby Hotel last week which included breakfast.

You are right about bad weather,, lot's of rain etc....sure your place will be ok,,, August til now is not that long,,,,,we went last March,,, then again last week...so 13 months,, ouch...

Rach

Hello smikers,,
thanks for finding Mehmet for us.. We only had one night in Derby Hotel and enjoyed rest of stay in Akbuk in our house..yes would be great to meet you again during our next trip.

Cheers

Rach, thanks for replying, and the info...
I think we always feel a mixture of excitment and apprehension at what we are going to find everytime we arrive; after our house being empty for 8 months.
For instance, 2 years ago, we arrived to find a large dead rat on our bedroom floor. It got trapped in the house after crawling though one of our pipes!!!
Oh, the fun!

Mel (and Anne)

"we arrived to find a large dead rat on our bedroom floor. It got trapped in the house after crawling though one of our pipes!!!"

Yuk! thats a new one for me to worry about!!!!

Tess

For instance, 2 years ago, we arrived to find a large dead rat on our bedroom floor. It got trapped in the house after crawling though one of our pipes!!!
Oh, the fun!

:25: Aaaggghhhhh, you would be picking me off the floor too!!! I'm sure you were shocked!!!!:wow::wow:

What I didn't say (but will now) is that in the rat's panic to try and find a way out of the house, it had pooed over much of our place!!!
-Sorry, but it had to be said!
As you could imagine, my wife Anne wanted to go home there and then.
I said to her, go for a walk and I will clean it all up!
NOTHING was going to spoil our holiday.
So there you have it... now you can understand why I'm slightly apprehensive on what we are going to find in 10 days time.
Hopefully nothing...!
Watch this space.

Mel (and Anne)

Last edited:

EVELYNNE

evelynne
What I didn't say (but will now) is that in the rat's panic to try and find a way out of the house, it had pooed over much of our place!!!
-Sorry, but it had to be said!
As you could imagine, my wife Anne wanted to go home there and then.
I said to her, go for a walk and I will clean it all up!
NOTHING was going to spoil our holiday.
So there you have it... now you can understand why I'm slightly apprehensive on what we are going to find in 10 days time.
Hopefully nothing...!
Watch this space.

Mel (and Anne)

I'm going to have to take bicycles clips now - I'm scared , some stories you should really keep to your self. I won;t have a man to sort out any dead or live things in my apartment.

My excitement has all gone ......blah blah

maggie

Im sure us Akbuk rat busters can all come to your rescue if need be panic not we are all here to help if need us.

Hugs Maggie xxxx

nanamo

This story has no relationship to the original thread on starting a new life in Turkey but does sort of carry on from the dead rat theme. Look away now if you are squeamish.............Last week my son, the kids and me had the fun of our annual pressure wash of the garden decking. After being out there nearly all day we stopped for a spot of lunch in the warm spring sunshine. One grandaughter loves to build hideouts and secret hiding places so she crawled under the decking - almost immediately we heard this blood curdling scream and it turned out she had come face to face with a dead fox. While my son comforted her I rang the council and was told they only come out for road kill, my son told me he could not even have a a look and made his excuses and left, when I phoned Steve he told me get it out before he came home. So, I had to remove the poor unfortunate animal myself and take it to the local dump but to end on a lighter not, my grandaughter has recovered from her experience and says she wants to be a vet 'to make dead foxes better'.

Martian106

Flakey Paint. No water....Nothing new there it's a constant battle Glad you had a great time

Latest Posts

Top Bottom