hijo

in my own clique
BA strike illegal
sorry don,t feel sorry for strikers that hold people to ransom ..never did, right back to arthur scargill days..if these people can,t manage on in the region of £30,000 a year (some of the lower paid B/A staff)..then go and get another part time job...they are lucky to have a reasonably paid job in the first place..:noidea:

tjd

BA strike illegal
Excellent news - now let's hope they can negotiate their way to a successful conclusion and not do any further damage to the business. (although I doubt it!)

RIK

BA strike illegal
Great News Gail, Thanks. Mrs RIK will now be able to travel and I can have a holiday.

Ian

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
BA strike illegal
The strike is off thank God as our kids are flying here next week so very relieved. The stupid union let people vote who shouldn't have

Not quite as simple as that: They included everyone employed because BA would not tell them who they were going to allow to take redundancy. After the ballot started BA then released the names of those being offered release. BA said they did not know who they were going to release - which sounds unlikely.

As Union says, if they had not included people who had applied for redundancy they would have been wrong in the eyes of the court.

I´m not taking sides either way, but it is clearly not over with yet and if BA think they have won a battle, they may not have won the war. It is just going to make the Union members more angry.

And if you were going to book your holiday for next year would you now use BA with this still not settled?

BA have always had a strong arm approach to union issues and you could argue that they get the awkward behaviour back in spades if they don´t negotiate.

Ian

BA strike illegal
I think this is likely to wind up unionites significantly and what they don't get now they may try at the next big ransom time...Easter break! I have 6 BA flights booked for Easter and am decidedly worried just in case.
Happy for everyone who is getting to see their families and go on their holidays this season though.
Hope BA sees a way to fix this without massive disruption later...

akbukowl

BA strike illegal
There will be a re-ballot and just what do you think people who have voted once to take industrial action going to do .BA's stupidity will lead to another walkout and alienate it's staff for years to come, if change is to be brought about then good will is needed on all sides instead we get BA's yearly assault on its staff and the Trade unions .As i was taught by an old personal director at Montague Burton's it's not what you do it's the way that you do it.

BA strike illegal
i was going to fly BA to UK in March, but i've cancelled it: not cause i am scared of a strike - after all, that's only an inconvenience. (I do appreciate how relieved you are, Gail, though: but BBC has been running daily stories on wedding dates cancelled and all kinds of other stuff to gain sympathy for BA.) I don't think anyone goes on strike, especially these days, unless their backs are against the wall; in fact, i was surprised to hear about the strike at all seeing as so few people are even allowed to join a union anymore. i'm still looking into it, but there are some serious greviances from the staff, though it's hard to find what's going on behind all the anti-union media. seriously, should we have sympathy for an airline or for people? If anyone can point me to the true history of this strike i'd be interested. is the long-term plan is to declare airlines 'essential services' and remove all power of employees to organise themselves against management? having grown up in the 70s i know what unions can do and, yes, life was uncomfortable with the three-day week. when the miners brought down ted heath's government, thatcher made it her agenda when she came to power to cut the unions down to size. so let's not beat them up as demons because they strike; the members of the unions are working people, let's get the full story first before we celebrate another nail in the coffin of workers' rights.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
BA strike illegal
How many people on this forum would willingly give up 30% of their salary, have no rise for 2 years whether pensiomer or worker ?
do you base your family budget on your income ?

they are not paid super wages at 30 to 35,000 its actually pretty normal, it is 10 to 20,000 below the higher tax rate.

and lets not forget Willie Walsh who gave up his right to his bonus this year accepted other payments of around £1,000,000 this year - what was that about ?

martin

Akasya

Postless Pointer
BA strike illegal
I am shocked that a Judge, elected by no one, answerable to no one, can overturn a legally held ballot with a 92% majority. So eight hundred ( how do they know this ) voted who possibly should not have.

Who is this Judge to take it upon herself to decide that they all voted in favour. They may be part of the small minority against.

Democratic decision my Ar$e.

Steve.

giglets

BA strike illegal
Looks like the Union made a mess of the ballot.
They will do it all again, but only after the Festive Season has passed.
Eventually a compromise will probably be reached between Union and Management.
BA will probably survive, just.
Approx 1 million travellers, who would have had their plans to holiday/spend time with family and loved-ones completely ruined, will now be able to relax.

I think, on balance, the Court reached the correct decision.

Dave

Sarahlou

BA strike illegal
Just reading through the thread. I work in a small privately owned firm, last October everyone took a 20% pay cut, why? Quite simply it is clear for everyone to see that the volume of work was no longer there and the stark choice was make people redundant or cut salaries, hence the salary cut. No one in our office earns anything like £30 a year. In addition we had no pay increase last year, none this year and there will not be one in 2010. Being realistic everyone knows that BA like other airlines are in financial difficulties and if the changes proposed by BA are those which are being reported on the news I personally do not see what the difficulty is.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
BA strike illegal
Just reading through the thread. I work in a small privately owned firm, last October everyone took a 20% pay cut, why? Quite simply it is clear for everyone to see that the volume of work was no longer there and the stark choice was make people redundant or cut salaries, hence the salary cut. No one in our office earns anything like £30 a year. In addition we had no pay increase last year, none this year and there will not be one in 2010. Being realistic everyone knows that BA like other airlines are in financial difficulties and if the changes proposed by BA are those which are being reported on the news I personally do not see what the difficulty is.

Hi Sarahlou, can you explain how it happened ? was it imposed on you ? or were you consulted or spoken to by the boss/owner ?
are you the main bread winner ? how much hardship has it caused ?

thanks

Martin

jcrian

BA strike illegal
After doing some research on the BA strike yesterday one fact that I came up with was that Unite is the largest donator to the labour party?

Sarahlou

BA strike illegal
Hi Martin

Every one was given the choice, that the company make redundancies or everyone take a 20% pay cut. Yes we were given a choice but not much of a choice no wages or 80% wages. The firm I work for do not do consultation. And no I am not the main bread earner but a lot of the people here could not survive without their wage, some already have partners who are out of work due to the colapse of the construction industry here.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom