pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
BA Strike for 12 days of Christmas !!
Just saw on sky news that BA have voted 9 to 1 in favour of a strike over the 12 days of Christmas

.........Merry Christmas to you to BA ..............Diane

Last edited by a moderator:

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Re: BA Srike for 12 days of christmas !!

Good luck to them. Bloody 2 year pay freeze indeed!!

jcrian

Who do they think they are? They have more staff per flight and more pay than other airlines. The country should not be held hostage just because people are not satisfied.
All they will achieve is bankrupting the airline and driving customers to other airlines. A sad demise for a once great company.

Gamuret

I think that we should draw a distinction between cabin staff who work from Heathrow and those who work from Gatwick. The pay that the former receive is a lot more than the latter do. The partner of a close friend is based at Gatwick and she can vouch for this. It is true that she is often away for many days at a time when she is on a long haul flight but others she is on short haul ones or, worst of all, on standby wondering whether or not she will have to embark upon a flight that she would much rather not do.

The selection process for BA cabin crew is very thorough but, as with any job, there are the inevitable perks, mostly in the form of much-reduced air fares (although not the taxes and fuel duty etc.) Against that are the often unsocial hours and passengers who can be difficult to handle, especially on a long haul flight. The perceived glamour of such a job can wear off quite quickly!!!

BA in common with the airline industry as a whole is faring badly in this recession. The friend who is her partner is a qualified airline pilot and has been for two years. Due to the recession he cannot obtain his first position and is now teaching physics at a local school - what a tremendous waste of resources!!!

We have to assume that BA knows the parlous state of it's finances. They are hardly likely to be making up what they are saying. What is better - a pay freeze or the prospect of no job at all if the company flounders. One only has to look at what happened in the USA to several major airlines although they have far more protection than in this country.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Who do they think they are? They have more staff per flight and more pay than other airlines. The country should not be held hostage just because people are not satisfied.
All they will achieve is bankrupting the airline and driving customers to other airlines. A sad demise for a once great company.

Apparrently thai, Virgin and others have more staff on average but pay less, are you advocating that they (ba cabin crew) should be paid less ?

If that airline is bankrupted it will be because of continuous poor management over the years.

How would you suggest they protect their rights and standards of living other than by striking when the management team once again refuse to negotiate ?

martin

juco

This company has suffered from poor management for years, it survived because the markets were buoyant and there was money flooding in from business users, as the economy has got tougher it has highlighted their true management skills.
If it were me I would accept the deal on the condition that Walsh and most of his directors resign with minimul severance packages, then maybe they wouldnt be so happy to implement the cutbacks. It would certainly make for an interesting scenario.
Although generally I am against strikes it is time to fight back before we lose everything, we are running out of time.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I wonder if cabin crew etc of Turkish Airlines -Onur Air or Sun Express get the same wage as BA cabin crew ? And would they risk thier jobs plus a closure of an airline by going on strike ??? Or are they happy to have a good job with an Airline which hasn't yet folded like so many have done in this recession . a Strike will only make things worse for BA and passengers will think twice about booking with them especialy over Bank Holidays .. This will ruin many peoples christmas ...If they Must strike why not after christmas . Instead of bringing misery to fare paying passengers at this time of year who just want to spend christmas with family in far away places ....Diane

RIK

Mrs RIK is flying on Dec.27th to Gatwick from Antalya with BA to see her serious ill Father and back Jan.3rd. I would be very annoyed if this was disrupted by Strike Action.Whilst in General I am against strikes and those that apparently happen at peak holiday periods as they always appear to do.I am given to understand that BA H/row Crew are better paid than similar crew based at Gatwick.BA have lost a tremendous amount of money as is on Public Record and Basically because they based there sales strategy on selling Business Class Seats at a premium which fell off with the recession.As with most UK business's nobody could have forseen what would happen.BA Staff need to rethink there current position.Just my biased opinion.

Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Mrs RIK is flying on Dec.27th to Gatwick from Antalya with BA to see her serious ill Father and back Jan.3rd. I would be very annoyed if this was disrupted by Strike Action.Whilst in General I am against strikes and those that apparently happen at peak holiday periods as they always appear to do.I am given to understand that BA H/row Crew are better paid than similar crew based at Gatwick.BA have lost a tremendous amount of money as is on Public Record and Basically because they based there sales strategy on selling Business Class Seats at a premium which fell off with the recession.As with most UK business's nobody could have forseen what would happen.BA Staff need to rethink there current position.Just my biased opinion.

Ian

Ian you just hit the nail on the head ! poor strategic management ! I personally hope that the management return to negotiation instead of imposition.

I think the salary argument is a shame as we have all fought for better terms and conditions all our lives.

If it was your husband wife son daughter would you be happy with them taking a pay cut ? or would you be happier if we were all on the minimum wage ?

martin

Kalkan regular

The Golden Girls
At the moment, unless BA cave in, she will definately be affected as it is 12 consecutive days all out strike from 22 December to 2 January ie nothing will fly during this period. We also should be flying with them on 27 December, luckily just Manchester to Heathrow in order to catch a flight to Australia. I've now book train tickets before they go up in price. Yesterday you could get a flight with BMI from Manchester to Heathrow for about £130 for the one way flight, since the anouncemnet they are now over £350 each!
Can't say BA cabin staff are amongst my favourite people and I don't think I will ever fly with them again unless I don't have a choice.

parrot

No-one is forcing them to work for B.A. if they don't like it they can sling their hooks,there must be thousand who would be happy to replace them,glorified waiters/waitresses.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
I wonder if cabin crew etc of Turkish Airlines -Onur Air or Sun Express get the same wage as BA cabin crew ?

You can't make comparisons with staff from other countries really.

No-one is forcing them to work for B.A. if they don't like it they can sling their hooks,there must be thousand who would be happy to replace them,glorified waiters/waitresses.

Typical!

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive

What if they do like it and dont want to leave and just want to protect what they already have ?

what would you consider a fair salary for the job ?

maybe they are willing to negotiate the changes that the management want, do remember the same management team were heavily criticised (by the major city institutions and business press) a couple of years ago for provoking a strike and costing the company millions.

martin

Well
As I have said before,my daughter works for Virgin Atlantic which will benefit greatly from this action!!
She says she is so thankful she has a job that she would, YES,take a paycut or a wage freeze rather than bankrupt her airline and lose her job anyway!!!
I think any strikes in the present climate are ludicrously suicidal but agree that poor management has caused a lot of it.
After my daughters comments I am amazed that 92% are in favour of crippling their airline. Perhaps the loyalty that seems to exist within Virgin has been lost by BA management!!
Nobody wins from strikes and never have really!!
Its throwing rattles out of prams and not discussing matters with faults on both sides!!
Intransigence is a killer of business.

Saoirse

I think such a massive vote for strike action which the staff know will mean hardship for them, clearly shows their desperation with the dictatorial approach of Walsh and his crooked cronies

Victory to the strikers

Kalkan regular

The Golden Girls
I know many nurses, teachers and social workers who are paid less than the cabin crew at BA so I think the pay isn't slave labour rates. I don't think you can compare the difficulty of the work.

The train tickets I bought earlier for £99 for two of us, as soon as the anouncement had been made, now cost over a hundred pounds more. If BA fly I will have lost the £99 but if they don't I think I will have saved quite a bit by not waiting to see what happens.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Just watching it now on BBC Virgin cabin crew get paid roughly half that of BA Who get around £39.000 per year .so imagine if a husband and wife earn roughly the same amount pa Then i think thats a good income= per household in the present climate . I think its just a case of More wants More . Terry your daughter is a sensable young woman ........Diane

RIK

Martin.No Management can get all things right all of the time.BA. have done very well over the last years and indeed along with Lufthansa are the two leading European Airlines.It is wrong to say that they ( the staff ) would be on minımum wage.That is not true.from what I read ( other forums and on the PC ) BA are willing to discuss everything.However nobody and not even the blind can be unaware of BA's current situation.I ask, how can BA give a pay increase if they have lost 249 M GBP's in the last Quarter.Even if it is Mismanagement they still cannot do it.Yes they do have to do what they want to do just to save the Airline.let me ask you, how would you feel if Lufthansa stepped in and took them over ? Then all staff Pilots as well would be on a lot less money than BA. pay them.As for taking a pay cut then I can tell you that I had to do it when I was working.It was either that or let the company go under.there is no choice if you wish to keep your job.If you don't, then you can always leave.

Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom