Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Never Tried It

Votes: 26 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Ayran - Love It or Loathe It ?
Now that summer's approaching and this popular drink is beginning to fill the shelves again here's a quick poll.

dalyansteve

OK, where is the poll? Actualy We love it and we encourage everyone to try it. Though as a kid I was quite used to plain yogurt, we lived next to a French family and it was something that was handed out to us boys as a snack.

Silly me!!! I was looking in the wrong place oops.

hijo

in my own clique
..i love it ,i do it with fresh yogurt ,bottle water ,salt ,a little lemon juice,and a very small pinch of chilli pepper,i go through about 3 kilos a week..:couch2:

Martyn

Should there be an option never tried it because that's me? ;)

Last edited:

Harem

I've cliqued
Paul loves it but I hate it.
Don't know about the dogs and cats.

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
We hate it!!! Har har Lots of people we have met including ourselves have swigged a big gobful outside the supermarket when Turkey Virgins - thinking it was fresh milk then chocked and spat it out thinking it was sour. Now we know better - but it put us off for life!!!

Martyn

Just casted one myself before you said it, thanks anyway. :biggrin:

parrot

What is it,I've had a sheltered life and I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't know.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Just casted one myself before you said it, thanks anyway. :biggrin:

Tsk ! Now reduced it by 1 ! :doh:

If you're an Ayran virgin, just buy a bottle of it. It's basically watery natural yogurt.

Adding lemon juice and / or chilli is an acquired taste.

You can also use is as a base for making smoothies in a blender.

Last edited:

bobthenob

Non Active Member
l remember when l was first introduced to this drink from a local Turkish guy l knew in the area.He said you must try this drink.lt is very good for you and it tastes nice.
By watching him consuming the drink like a camel on heat,l just assumed the drink would take a liking to my taste buds.l took one big gulp,hesitated for a while and spat out the whole lot over my wife that sat next to me.
l quickly ran indoors with stomach convulsions and stuck my head under the shower to gulp in as mush water as possible to get rid of the taste...yuk..this drink does not agree with me.l'll stick to a concoction of alcoholic beverages laced with whatever gives me the happy buzz..as a matter of fact.that is what l did to erase my mind of the taste.

Sorry..l am waffling again!..

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
You can also use the "Dr Oetker" essences for cake making to flavour it or put a little powdered mint in for a more subtle taste.

I also use the same essences for making flavoured Vodka.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
What it looks like and a recipe;

xpdk07.jpg
11b19i0.jpg

3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt

This is very straight-forward but tastes great: Put all of the above in a blender. Mix for about 35-40 seconds. Pour into glasses. Also after blending, at the top, you will see bubbles and that's the best part. Makes 4 portions.

Origins of the word "yogurt":
The word comes from the Turkish word "yoğurt", deriving from the verb "yoğurtmak", which means "to blend" - a reference to how yogurt is made.

C

Ms Who

aka Kym Ciftci
The ones in the plastic bottle are nasty nasty nasty! An ice cold freshly made one tho is yummy! :)

mintyk

Have had a sweet one in Brum in asian restaurants called lassi. Just as lovely as the one here with salt.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
The ones in the plastic bottle are nasty nasty nasty! An ice cold freshly made one tho is yummy! :)

Of course, the best Ayran is made using fresh yoghurt bought from one of the village markets, with fresh milk, ice and a little salt.

But, for an Ayran Virgin, a bottle or carton of it will be enough to decide whether they like it or not.

M

Mack

We hate it!!! Har har Lots of people we have met including ourselves have swigged a big gobful outside the supermarket when Turkey Virgins - thinking it was fresh milk then chocked and spat it out thinking it was sour. Now we know better - but it put us off for life!!!

He he, I did a similar thing on my first trip to Turkey and covered my cornflakes with the stuff, put me off for life too :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom