IanJones

Attacked in Gumbet
We went out shopping in Gumbet today ( Sunday 21st June 2009) taking two Young Girls with us to celebrate their birthdays, they are both only 19. We decided that we were hot and went for Slush Puppies in a place opposite Burger King. We were told they were 5 YTL each. When we had finished them we were offered some more free of charge, which we accepted. When we came to leave we were told in no uncertain terms that we had to pay for all the drinks. I protested and was then attacked in the street. The Young girls were terrified and held in the Bar next door by the waiters who told them they could not leave until they had paid. I refused still and was attacked again this time the guy from the Slush Puppie stand tried to steal the money from my pocket.
Eventually we managed to get the girls out and I telephoned a friend to come and pick them up. I wanted to get the police to come up and have a word with them. The Brother then came down and said his Brother was having a bad day, but if I called the Police I would be seriously hurt.
When my friend arrived to rescue the Girls she said that the Police would not do much and that they would all Gang up and say that we tried to leave without paying. My friend decided to pay them because he was worried that they might be attacked when out on their own in the town at night.
This is not the first time I have heard of this and now I have experienced it first hand it makes the other stories I have heard even more believable.
I have heard people refer to Gumbet as Scumbet and Have to say it is things like this that make me think of finding somewhere else to spend my 3 months a year. These people are connected to the bar next door I think where the Girls where held and that is owned by the Itailian place over the road which was called something like Zane. I have eaten there and It was nice food but obviously I will never be going to either of those again.
Be warned and please be careful, this Guy was definatly a little unbalanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

PASH

Attacked in Gumbet
Re: Attacked in Gumbet today

Wow, what a terrible experience for you and quite rightly, you have posted a warning to all that may be tempted into these establishments. I am glad your friend paid and got you away from these disgusting people, i for one have never ventured into Gumbet as i have heard similar stories before about being fleeced and conned. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth!

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Attacked in Gumbet

l have also been on the recieving end of this type of deceptive behaviour a few years ago in Altinkum,where they said please stay the drink is on us.The bill came and was charged for the drinks that was suppose to have been free.l queried it and they became quite aggressive,where my wife said just pay it.l said it is a matter of principal and to let them get away with this behaviour will only fuel it more.

So,now when l hear of someone saying to me it is free.l always refuse it and then walk away to another place,since l know now they are never to be trusted.Their behaviour is sinister and must be watched carefully for any signs of deceptive behaviour.Never accept anything that is free,because more often then most,it is their way to get you in a difficult situation with the authorities where they will be in denial and you will be paying out more then just that so called freebie.

IanJones

Attacked in Gumbet

Yes you could be right Bob. I certainly will refuse anything free from places I dont know.
It put the dampeners on the day to say the least.

jeff

bayview
Attacked in Gumbet

Scary. Thanks for posting the warning Ian. It is such a pity that the good guys are let down by the lowlife that infest the place even though I believe the latter are in the minority. Lets hope their behaviour puts them out of business.

Attacked in Gumbet

im very wary when something is free.theres always a catch unless you know the people.glad you all ok

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Attacked in Gumbet

l have also been on the recieving end of this type of deceptive behaviour a few years ago in Altinkum,where they said please stay the drink is on us.The bill came and was charged for the drinks that was suppose to have been free.l queried it and they became quite aggressive,where my wife said just pay it.l said it is a matter of principal and to let them get away with this behaviour will only fuel it more.

So,now when l hear of someone saying to me it is free.l always refuse it and then walk away to another place,since l know now they are never to be trusted.Their behaviour is sinister and must be watched carefully for any signs of deceptive behaviour.Never accept anything that is free,because more often then most,it is their way to get you in a difficult situation with the authorities where they will be in denial and you will be paying out more then just that so called freebie.

That's one of the reasons I have to get out of here. I wouldn't pay and I wouldn't think twice of giving back more then what they dose out. I would either be in jail for assult or in the hospital....both a no win for me.

Biker Bob

PASH

Attacked in Gumbet

It really is a shame as all we here about are the negatives of Turkey and its always the ones in the tourist industry. Bars, restaurants or people flogging houses etc who give the whole of Turkey such a bad press. Alot of of it is down to greed and bullying. I was threatened myself by a builder 3 years ago and have to confess i was really scared and could have left Turkey and never returned - but, why let the vast minority spoil such a lovely country!

biggles

biggles
Attacked in Gumbet

i got offered a free shave and hair cut in turgetreis . My wife said go ahead ,i said no way and declined the offer .i would not go to gumbet in any case .

biggles

biggles
Attacked in Gumbet

just thinking ,you ought to report it to the bodrum bulletin. if it put people off visiting gumbet i bet the police would do something then.

saffie

Saffie
Attacked in Gumbet

How awful for you all. Very glad to hear no-one was hurt.

Sad to hear of this sort of threatening behaviour which does this gorgeous country no favours. Unfortunately when we hear of such stories it tends to make us forget the superb hospitality offered by most Turks and which the vast majority of them pride themselves on.

Saffie.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Attacked in Gumbet

This is so awful for you and your family Ian and glad that you are all ok, albeit well stressed out by the incident. Of the places we have visited, we have only ever come across those that genuinely want to share their lot and offer of friendship etc, but we have only driven through Gumbet and have to say did not like what we saw. It just seemed so loud and uninviting through the main street.

Attacked in Gumbet

What a terrible tale! I do hope you are not to badly injured.

Gumbet is a hole I'm afraid, steadily worsening over the years and it certainly pays to have your wits about you when you go into the town.

jeff

bayview
Attacked in Gumbet

Not the only problem in Gumbet it seems. See my thread on Bodrum forum re hotel spa treatment!

Attacked in Gumbet

thats terrible ─░an. the police surely should step in ..or the zabita .
i hope you are all getting over it.. not easy though it destroys trust
and its bad for the image of Turkey when thugs get away with this kind of behaviour.
its time the Zabita woke up and got rid of them they're ruinng the country.

bren

Attacked in Gumbet

Ian hope you are all ok . not all of gumbet is like that take care . B&t

ChrisBobs

Attacked in Gumbet

Ian - I hope the girls and you have recovered; like Bren says - not all Gumbet is like that- but it takes just a few to drag it down.
And this was all for what...20tl?
I would like to think that the Zabita could take some action over this.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Attacked in Gumbet

Sounds an extremely strange incident - is this common in certain areas?

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom