Akasya

Postless Pointer
Atatürk's Remembrance Day
Aysel, so good that his people remember his gift to them.

You have caused me to reflect. Thankyou.

Steve.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Thank you Aysel for this, it is a fitting mark of respect tomorrow for the great man Ataturk. He will, as you say never be forgotten by his Country.

To show our respect and honour we remember him on the 10th of November at five past nine in the morning which is the time when he passed away .

He is always in our hearts.

Hi,

How do you remember him? Do you have a minutes silence or similar? In the uk so this is all new to us but wanting to learn.

M

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I too wanted to know what happens in Ataturks rememberance and this is copied from a source on the Internet:-

"Mustafa Kemal Ataturk died at 09.05 on 10th November 1938 aged 57 of Cirrhosis of the Liver.
At 9:05 in the morning sirens and bells go off around the country and everyone (and I mean pretty much everyone) stops and stands still and silent for a minute. Cars on the road pull over and park and people emerge to stand on the shoulder. Classes stop and silence descends upon a normally rowdy school. I haven't been in the countryside on this day, but from what I've heard the same happens there. The whole country holds its breath and remembers this man".

This must be very moving, and deservedly so.

Last edited:

may

Hi Sunny Seasider, It was good to read a bit about Turkye and learn a bit more about the country we've choose to live in.

Atatürk is acknowledged as one of the greats of the 20th century and indeed one of the greatest leaders both politically and militarily in the.history of the world.
Not only a shrewd politician but a brilliant military man, no wonder he is a hero to his people

GnD

As with Churchill, I find Atatürk fascinating. Such a strong vision for Turkey and bringing about pride and cohesion for a country.

GB( all the devisions annoy me in that we separate for any reason these days) could do with someone with that conviction now. There's a song I rather like at the mo but one line says "It's up to us to make it a place to revere" I know I am sentimental and optimistic, but do we have to be in a war for all to pull together?? I adore second world war stories for that camaraderie of streets being so friendly.

hijo

in my own clique
.at 9.05 am all the people stopped, and the sirens all went of at the same time as did the cruise ships and small boats and car horns..

geordie_nev

Hi Sunny Seasider, It was good to read a bit about Turkye and learn a bit more about the country we've choose to live in.

To commemorate the 70th anniversary of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s death last year Health Lowry give a lecture entitled “Were Ataturk Alive Today”. It's an excellent read if you want to understand Ataturk’s achievements and how they still have an impact on today’s Turkey.

It’s in the history section:

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/history/20411-were-ataturk-alive-today.html

.at 9.05 am all the people stopped, and the sirens all went of at the same time as did the cruise ships and small boats and car horns..

Yes here too. Most of the shopkeepers came out and stood at attention, and passing cars etc all pulled over. Very moving.

zurna

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATÜRK'S ADDRESS TO TURKISH YOUTH
Turkish Youth, Your first duty is to preserve and to defend Turkish
Independence and the Turkish Republic forever. This is the very
foundation of your existence and your future. This foundation is your most
precious treasure. In the future, too, there may be malevolent people at
home and abroad, who will wish to deprive you of this treasure. If some
day you are compe lled to defend your independence and your Republic, you
must not hesitate to weigh the possibilities and circumstances of the
situation before doing your duty. These possibilities and circumstances
may turn out to be extremely unfavourable. The enemies c onspiring against
your independence and your Republic may have behind them a victory
unprecedented in the annals of the world. It may be that, by violence and
trickery, all the fortresses of your beloved fatherland may be captured,
all its shipyards occupied, all its armies dispersed and every corner of
the country invaded. And sadder and graver than all these circumstances,
thos e who hold power within the country may be in error, misguided and
may even be traitors. Furthermore, they may identify personal interests
with the political designs of the invaders. The country may be
impoverished, ruined and exhausted. Youth of Turkey's future, even in
such circumstances it is your duty to save Turkish Independence and the
Republic. You will find the strength you need in your noble blood.

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATÜRK
20th October 1927

Latest Posts

Top Bottom