Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Martyn

Assisted suicide, for or against?
Are you for or against the assisted suicide facility by people like Dignitas? Personally I'm for it for people of sound mind but with terminal illnesses.

maggie

Yes I am for it.!!!!

When a terminally ill person or person with a debilitating illness feels they can no longer go on why should they not be allowed to chose to die with dignity and the people that they love around them.

When My late Mum was in her final months she was on a ward for the elderly. There were patients in there who had just had enough and longed to die.They stuffed them full of drugs,used them as guinea pigs to test new drugs,they had no quality of life and the distress to their other family members was un-believable.

As bad as this might sound I can fully understand parents perhaps asking their children to help them die or sometimes as in Jade Goody's case she asked her Mum to help her die.

When enough is enough for people and they want to go I think they should be allowed to.

Hugs Maggie xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

I agree Maggie. I would not want to suffer as a lot of people have. It is just not the suffering of the terminal person but also of the family. I wouldn't want my family to see this for months or years in some cases. I'm sure some of the religious people on here will be against it though. I started thinking of this recently after a work colleague who i had known for some years died of Motor Neurone. When I started getting the problem with my arm recently all sorts of things went through my mind.

Last edited:

maggie

I agree Maggie. I would not want to suffer as a lot of people have. It is just not the suffering of the terminal person but also of the family. I wouldn't want my family to see this for months or years in some cases. I'm sure some of the religious people on here will be against it though. I started thinking of this recently after a work colleague who i had known for some years died of Motor Neurone. When I started getting the problem with my arm recently all sorts of things went through my mind.

Maggie could not have said it better. I have multiple sclerosis and am slowly getting worse. I want to be able to choose when I go and not to have to suffer.

Agree with both of you on this .Jaytee I am so sorry for you but yes you should not have to suffer if you want to go you should be allowed to and with dignity.

You would not let an animal suffer so why should a human.????

Hugs Maggie xx

JAYTEE

You would not let an animal suffer so why should a human.????

Hugs Maggie xx

Well said Maggie. My stepfather was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia and suffered a horrible death including a leg amputated. I know when my MS becomes even more intolerable then I want the choice to end it. If the person has sound mind or a living will then they should be allowed to go with dignity.

maggie

Whilst its awfull being the person with the illness I often think its worse for the remaining familly having to watch their loved ones going thro so much suffering.

I went to see a friend of mine in a Hospice for Cancer patients it was an experience that will haunt me forever the suffering was un believable.

Im not a religeous person but God would surely not want to let people suffer when there could be an easier way for them.

Hugs Maggie xx

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
I voted "for".

I think that personally i would like the choice. The only thing is that it should be a restricted option to those who have no hope of getting better, terminal illnesses, deteriorating conditions, people living in pain etc.

dalyansteve

We would not think twice about putting an animal down because it was too sick or injured and I think there comes a time where the pain is so severe and the prognosis is not good that the dignity of the individual must come into effect. I am certain that for millenia assisted suicide has happened, it just has not been talked about and the subject not "glamorised" by the modern day media. Perhaps "headlined" would be a better word and then all for the sake of selling more papers or gaining higher ratings.

having spent most of my life caring for others and seeing unbearable suffering up close i feel strongly that no one has the right to say whether we should put up with it.
We all face death, prolonging life through machines, devices or drugs, long past the ability to bear it is wrong.

''That shalt not kill but needs not strive officiously to keep alive'' Arthur Hugh Clough

Martyn

I really thought there would be more against it. Maybe the religious amongst us haven't voted yet. I just think of 'The lord giveth and the lord taketh away'.

dalyansteve

Your'e avatar needs putting down desperately as do those little fluffy sheep things at the side of most roads, who on earth is daft enough to buy one except as target practice?
I think the truth of the matter is most people agree with some sort of assisted suicide and would probably agree with the death penalty if there was conclusive evidence and not a stitch up as has been the case.

Martyn

If you put a poll up for the death penalty it would probably be in favour of not having one.

dalyansteve

But there you are, I did not say I agreed with the death penalty per say, but there are certain conditions where it is justified.

There is just now another thread started, suicide bomber shot dead, who did not in there heart of hearts not say "good"

Last edited:

labman

Agree with you Martyn,

Common sense should prevail but it probably won't due to all those without.

LM

Latest Posts

Top Bottom