Martyn

Asking for a bill
I was in Alo 24 a couple of days ago and asked for the bill ....hesap lutfen and the chap in there(he is a Dutch/Turk) says you normally say it ...lutfen first, is this correct? So I ask....lutfen hesap istiyorum .....and that is correct? Is lutfen always said first?

Martyn

Asking for a bill
I always say it the same way as you and no one has ever said otherwise

Nor me but he did. He wasn't being funny, we were a conversation before that and he was just being helpful. It would be the same in England if you were a waiter, if someone said please bill you wouldn't correct them.

alison09400

Asking for a bill
Although a bit of a mouthful, I say "hesap alabilirmiyim?" which means can I have the bill.

Asking for a bill
Alison, could you write that phonetically for me because there are too many vowel sounds there to get out of my mouth. I always say Hesap Lutfen but if there is a better way I will try it

:48:

leylaasena

Asking for a bill
It needs to be be hesabı istiyorum or alabilir miyim- THE bill

If you just say hesap you're saying 'a bill' - ie: any old bill, not your/the bill.

The 'i' is like our 'the' but you only need it when it's on the receiving end of a verb - like seni seviyorum.- I love you.

If you don't put a verb in the sentence you don't need this ending so
'hesap, lütfen' is just fine.

Last edited:
Asking for a bill

If you just say hesap you're saying 'a bill' - ie: any old bill, not your/the bill.

The 'i' is like our 'the' but you only need it when it's on the receiving end of a verb - like seni seviyorum.- I love you.

thanks for the reminder leylaasena..even though i teach people this in my lessons (in Alanya) i very often forget it myself ..and as you say this makes something a certain thing not a vague one
its the ''the'' in Turkish..or the direct object of a verb...and very important.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Asking for a bill
I think using the "lutfen" first is a way of getting the person's attention. A bit like using excuse me or "pardon"

Asking for a bill
l have always confused myself on how to exspress the syllables.
Do you pronounce the al as owl or do you pronounce it as all

Bob
if you learn the sounds of the alphabet then the sounds never vary as Turkish is phonetic.. A is always the same like the A for apple..broad flat and short.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Asking for a bill
Bob
if you learn the sounds of the alphabet then the sounds never vary as Turkish is phonetic.. A is always the same like the A for apple..broad flat and short.

Thank you Shirley.You have explained that very clearly.lt makes sense to me now.

claire1976

Asking for a bill
We've always used 'hesap lutfen' and it's always been received very well. In fact our son who is 7 loves asking for the bill and the staff are always very impressed that he asks for it in turkish.

Asking for a bill
We've always used 'hesap lutfen' and it's always been received very well. In fact our son who is 7 loves asking for the bill and the staff are always very impressed that he asks for it in turkish.

yes Claire..its really enough,
my husband who is Turkish just shouts 'Şefim'' and makes a writing motion when
they look.
the message is the same but carries a bit of the vernacular with it

(Şef.... boss guv chief etc) Hah

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Asking for a bill

What about "hesabımı alabilir miyim" Bev???? I'm sure that's what you make me say! LOL

Reactions: GnD

Latest Posts

Top Bottom