val2661

Arthritis - any remedies??
I've got osteoarthritis which flares up frequently, and at the moment it seems to have affected every joint! I usually take Naproxen anti-inflamatory medication, but am not happy with the side affects, shortage of breath, etc. etc.

Have any of you out there got a tried and tested old fashioned remedy which helps you. I'm interested in dietary help, homeopathic remedies, anything other than the usual ibuprofen, naproxen.

I'm ready to try anything, apart from WD40!!

Val

ZiaCa'

Hi Val

I suffered from an autoimmune disease that causes arthritic- like symptoms (amongst other nastier problems!) for about 2 years until I consulted a Nutritional Therapist and started a dietary programme. The diet seemed quite tough initially, but as soon as the symptoms eased, I was galvanised into sticking to it! I took quite a lot of supplements and natural remedies too. Over the years all my symptoms have disappeared (I'm touching wood for what it's worth!)... I had some tests this year that showed there was no longer any sign of the disease in my body!

Good luck Val, it's worth a try!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I would be careful in trying other peoples aids as what might suit them may have a detrimental affect on you.

val2661

Hi Val

I suffered from an autoimmune disease that causes arthritic- like symptoms (amongst other nastier problems!) for about 2 years until I consulted a Nutritional Therapist and started a dietary programme. The diet seemed quite tough initially, but as soon as the symptoms eased, I was galvanised into sticking to it! I took quite a lot of supplements and natural remedies too. Over the years all my symptoms have disappeared (I'm touching wood for what it's worth!)... I had some tests this year that showed there was no longer any sign of the disease in my body!

Good luck Val, it's worth a try!
Hi Carla

How do I go about getting this nutritional testing done? I live in Turkey, but do visit the UK. I do know that certain foods and spices trigger my symptoms off, and I avoid the ones I am aware of.

Val

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I have an old injury in my shoulder which flares up from time to time and gets inflammation around that area, I was advised to take a herbal remedy years ago called Devils Claw (it's from a plant root and it is shaped like a claw, hence the name), most Health shops sell it, it is excellent and does not give you side effect as Naproxen and Ibuprofen which I took for quite a while, my Doc will no longer prescribe from me.

Last edited:

bebs

I've got osteoarthritis which flares up frequently, and at the moment it seems to have affected every joint! I usually take Naproxen anti-inflamatory medication, but am not happy with the side affects, shortage of breath, etc. etc.

Have any of you out there got a tried and tested old fashioned remedy which helps you. I'm interested in dietary help, homeopathic remedies, anything other than the usual ibuprofen, naproxen.

Val
Litozin from health shops brilliant made from pure rosehip #Bebs

james1873

Val

I posted this on the 28th July 2008

My late father had crippling arthritis in his hands - they used to swell up like Boxing Gloves. He was prescribed all sorts by his GP at the time but to no avail. One day I came across an article in a magazine that showed a guy in a wheelchair in one picture, crippled with arthritis and the same guy in a second picture jumping over a fence post with one hand and both legs in the air with the biggest smile on his face that you ever did see.
The fella in question stated in the article that his remedy may not work for everyone but it had worked for him and it consisted of products that could be found in any Health Food Shop.
Devil Claw, Seatone and Garlic Pearls were 3 of the substances that I can remember and after trying it and experiencing immediate relief, the Old Mans GP had to admit that this remedy had worked. These products could not be prescribed to my father under NHS regulations but he gladly paid for them, he would have paid double such was the relief, up until his passing years later.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I posted this on the 28th July 2008

Devil Claw, Seatone and Garlic Pearls were 3 of the substances that I can remember and after trying it and experiencing immediate relief, the Old Mans GP had to admit that this remedy had worked. These products could not be prescribed to my father under NHS regulations but he gladly paid for them, he would have paid double such was the relief, up until his passing years later.

Thanks James, Devils Claw has been around for years, it is quite expensive, but well worth it. I even used to give it to our old Dog Murphy who had serious Arthritis in her back legs, and she was great on it, Of course I asked my Vet first and she fully agreed, to my astonishment as it meant that she was going to lose out on expensive medication for Murphy.

1 x 100mg of cod liver oil is what hubby takes & has a better effect than anti inflamatories like ibuprofen & voltarol,also it help diebetis as it has omega oils in it to break down sugar.

ZiaCa'

Hi Carla

How do I go about getting this nutritional testing done? I live in Turkey, but do visit the UK. I do know that certain foods and spices trigger my symptoms off, and I avoid the ones I am aware of.

Val

Hi Val,

I don't know if there are Nutritional Therapists in Turkey. You can look for one in the area of the UK you visit on BANT (British Association of Nutritional Therapists), nutripeople.co.uk or a College Register, such as the Lawrence Plaskett College for Nutritional Medicine or Optimum Nutrition.

akbukowl

Glausotamine (i think that's how you spell it)from any health shop and many doctors now recommend it.

mallin

mal mc cullough

Val

also have it in the shoulder.my remedy tried and tested is smirnoff...or absolut with a shot of coke.pain leaves within a short time

arrian

R.I.P
i've recently had to come off long term medication as it has begun to effect my kidneys. as a result, i now know how bad my arthritiis is!! both hands, both knees, have to have artificial right knee, both elbows, right hip, shoulder and spine. glucosomine never worked for me, but will see about the Devils' Claw. thankyou

hijo

in my own clique
..also had a shoulder injury years ago ..and sometimes it does flare up ..especially in the damp or the cold ..i do find a swim in the sea here seems to help..a lot better than the cortesone injections i had a few years ago..i nearly passed out when i saw the size of the needles, and how far they put them in the shoulder , i thought it was going to come out the other side..:hurt::13:

val2661

i've recently had to come off long term medication as it has begun to effect my kidneys. as a result, i now know how bad my arthritiis is!! both hands, both knees, have to have artificial right knee, both elbows, right hip, shoulder and spine. glucosomine never worked for me, but will see about the Devils' Claw. thankyou
I think we must have been separated at birth Arrian, that's how my body is affected!! Already got the replacement knee. I have also found cod liver oil and glucosamine of no help, but I will try and get hold of Devil's Claw and the Rose Hip tablets. Off to town in Alanya today to see if I can find a herbalist. Thanks everyone.

Val

arrian

R.I.P
just to mention, anyone taking prescribed meds. speak to doctor before taking herbal remedies as they can react against each other, or cause serious side effects.

how's the knee been Val2661, i've just had tears in both cartilidges repaired amongst other things, and see the consultant in march regarding the knee replacement, as it's the patella that's affected, but has it made a big difference to you, and was it worth having it done?

val2661

just to mention, anyone taking prescribed meds. speak to doctor before taking herbal remedies as they can react against each other, or cause serious side effects.

how's the knee been Val2661, i've just had tears in both cartilidges repaired amongst other things, and see the consultant in march regarding the knee replacement, as it's the patella that's affected, but has it made a big difference to you, and was it worth having it done?
Thanks for that info Arrian. I've sent you a PM regarding the knee replacement, but I would say I certainly don't regret having it done, it's the only joint that is pain free!

Val

Maisie

If you do a search on WD40 on TLF, you will find that quite a few people swear that this works for joint pain. Maisie

Gamuret

I have found that thehealthierlife.co.uk site has an enormous amount of information on natural solutions. It is possible to subscribe to two daily newsletters that contain all the ground-breaking information that those of us who do not wish to take synthetic medications, with all the associated side effects, can consult.

In one of today's letters, for example, are details of Carnitine complex: The remarkable nutrient endorsed by a leading cardiologist.

Why put money into the hands of multinational pharmaceutical companies when there are far better natural remedies available (unless of course you have shares in these companies!!).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom