ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Art of the Turkish Shave
Any of you who've had a Turkish shave will know what a pleasurable experience it is. But it's also a bit of an art form, as Veissi Isazgan, a Turkish barber now plying his trade in Belfast explains;

"My uncle is a barber in Istanbul and I learned my trade from him. It took me about two years to become fully trained in the art of barbering and shaving.
"The Turkish shave is very good for the skin. It gives a clean shave and is also good for preventing ingrown hairs which ordinary shaving can cause. It is a very relaxing way to spend 20 minutes or so."

Veissi imports all his materials from Turkey.
"First of all I use a shaving brush and a special shaving soap from Turkey by the firm Arko. The soap is made of completely natural ingredients. I work this into a lather and then apply it to my customer's chin area, taking care not to get the soap on my customer's mouth."
Then comes the part which has made many a brave man pale - the introduction of the cut-throat razor.

"I use perma-sharp cut-throat razors. It is perfectly safe as I have had 17 years of practise. Each customer gets a new blade to make sure that it is nice and clean.
"I bring the blade down gently with short strokes using my right hand and I gently pinch the skin above where I am shaving with my left hand so as to keep the area taught and maximise the closeness of the shave.
"I shave the neck as well and once I have finished, I do the whole thing all over again to ensure there are no loose ends and to make the shave as close as possible."
Once this part is completed, Veissi produces a hot towel to open the pores of the face.

"Then I use a lemon cologne on the face. This is an astringent, like aftershave, so it can sting a bit.
"One of the most important parts of the Turkish shave is the massage. I begin with the head and face, massaging the temples, forehead area and nose bridge. It is important that the strokes are gentle but firm.
"Then I give the client a shoulder and back massage to relieve any tension that the stresses and strains of the day might have caused him.

"This is a quick and effective way of stress relief for the modern male after a hard day at the office.
"I finish off the shave by massaging moisturiser into the skin, dusting a little talc on the face if the customer's skin is oily.
"I also trim nose and ear hairs that have become unruly." Veissi makes sure all his equipment is shipped over from Turkey every month.
"It's very important to me to have the proper authentic equipment. None of it is perfumed so the customer need not worry about overpowering scents.

Veissi claims to be Northern Ireland's only Turkish barber, he has become a great attraction for well groomed men looking for the closest shave they can get.

Source: A DAY IN THE LIFE ... Turkish barber; Razor sharp Veissi is a cut | Sunday Mirror | Find Articles at BNET

Just to bring it to life a bit, have a look;

The Efe Traditional Turkish Shave - Video

Right, that's put me in the mood now to be pampered so I'm off to visit Veissi.......

C

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Art of the Turkish Shave
It is a pleasant experience, but I have yet to have one that lasts as well as DIY. Because they do not 'dig-in', within 4-5 hours a significant stubble has regrown so the face would feel rough, unlike my own shave which would last the day.
But perhaps that just gives the chance to go back again!
A good massage can put me in a state to go back to bed, so first thing in the morning is not always good.
Ian

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Art of the Turkish Shave
Due to the graphic nature of the descriptions and language used in the Arse About Fez article, viewer discretion is advised !

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Art of the Turkish Shave
Whenever we walk past the barbers in the village, I am very tempted to go in, just for the head massage, joy.

Lesley

Latest Posts

Top Bottom