martin m

are warnings justified
Hi all
Earlier today i took the liberty of sending a message to culture vulture who it seemed to me was very excited and pleased about having purchased a property in Altinkum but could not find it on a map, i was at pains to explain that i did not want to upset or insult her,but if she didnt even know were it was then my alarm bells were ringing that she was being maybe too trusting.
She very politely replied, and it seems that she has taken great care and not gone into it blindly,and covered all the common bases.
My point in making this public is this.I seem to have forgotten just how exciting buying our turkish home was,how much fun choosing things to put in it was, how we must have bored people talking about it none stop, and now when someone comes along and is going through all that "early day excitment" the first thing we feel we have to do is "warn them". and whilst we(vets) only mean well, i wonder if we spoil things, i mean yes i know there has been some terrible terrible things gone off to purchasers,but what are the averages, for every 100 places bought how many turn out dodgy, is it as bad as we make out, is it that bad that we feel we have to lock new buyers in a room and try and talk em out of it.
Like i said we are only trying to help and we mean well, i am sure this site has been a absolute goldmine to some,including me as well at times, but should we temper our warnings or are they justified.That is the question.
martin

chaz

are warnings justified
Well said Martin, I have bought two properties over the last 5 years without any bad experiences and know of many others that have had no problems. I am sure that 'Bad' things can happen in any country and have done in Turkey maybe myself and all my friends in Turkey have been dead lucky but lets not always think of the glass being half empty.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
are warnings justified
Martin, excellent post. We bought off plan in 2005, and all ended very well. Having said that, did lots of Homework etc;etc;, I found TLF in Oct 2008, if I had, had the info I have gleaned from this forum I would have been shitting myself, as it was, it was for the good, but as always be warned......................................

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
are warnings justified
I feel that if the warnings and advice stop or are tempered too much, then the impact is lost, most people on the other thread only had culture vultures interests at heart.
I for one jumped in and bought my first place with my heart andnot my head, if I had the info posted on this forum I would have done things differently.
I was lucky, very lucky by all accounts as the seller subsequently did rip people off, my basement at the other place is now full of furniture from a couple who were ripped off, they paid in full almost, had no protection, and the developer hocked the tapu for a rather large loan. Their house goes up for auction soon.
If they had the benefit of hindsight and more importantly the info on this forum it would be a different story.

in this instance it seems that culture vulture had done everything possible to protect the purchase, maybe thanks to the hard word warnings on the forum.

martin

Tess

are warnings justified
Good thread and post Martin.
I like to think of it not so much as a 'warning' more of concern and an enduring duty of care to warn of the pitfalls involved.
Personally I don't think it is intentional to 'doom and gloom' things.
I wish I had a pound for the amount of times I wished I had found TLF before my purchases.
Whilst I am not in a 'too bad' scenario, I could however be in a 'better place'.
I am delighted when I read of the many who managed to achieve it all well and safe, but if one 'warning' is heeded and it works, I think that is equally delightful.

juco

are warnings justified
but should we temper our warnings or are they justified

NO! Do not temper them.

We are all old and ugly enough to stand on our own 2 feet and take critisism.

By the time we can contribute (or they have posted) they have more than likely parted with cash.

If we can save one person from a disaster then we must.

Its easier to walk away and say nothing then stand up and be critisised, Let us all be critisised while we try and help our fellow humans.

Even if the house sale goes ok and they get their tapu they are likely to ripped off with other smaller amounts.

Martyn

are warnings justified
NO! Do not temper them.

We are all old and ugly enough to stand on our own 2 feet and take critisism.

By the time we can contribute (or they have posted) they have more than likely parted with cash.

If we can save one person from a disaster then we must.

Its easier to walk away and say nothing then stand up and be critisised, Let us all be critisised while we try and help our fellow humans.

Even if the house sale goes ok and they get their tapu they are likely to ripped off with other smaller amounts.

That's right, even after the house purchase there is furniture etc. We got turned over with furniture ourselves.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom