Harem

I've cliqued
Applying for Turkish Citizenship - Part One
Applying for Turkish Citizenship

Tuesday 29th December 2009

First of all we had to go to the Kaymakamlik to get a form listing all the documents we will need.

(This nearly got very upset because the person we were due to go with had a motorbike accident and was laid flat on his back and the person who said he would go instead, wasn’t able to turn up until an hour after the appointed time. This left us in the tender hands of our Muhtar, who doesn’t speak any English and our Turkish isn’t fluent. He told the manager that we had only lived in Turkey for 4 years so we were told we would have to wait until we had lived here for 5 years!!! (We have been residents in Turkey for just over 5 years). We were hustled out before we got the chance to interrupt or say anything!!

However, when our friend turned up we went for a cay and perused the list of things to do and documents to present which are as follows:)

1. Form Dilekçe – Application form (We have to get this from Muğla)
2. Hangi devlet vatandaşı olduğunu gösteren bir belgenin Türkçe’ye çevrilmiş onalylı örneği (Passportun Türkçe tercümli noter tasdikli örneği) – Notarlsed translation of UK passport
3. İkamet Tezkeresinin Fotokopi örneği (İlriye doğru n az 6 aylık süresi bulunması) - Residence Permit valid for at least 6 months
4. Evli ise eşinin ve varsa kanıtlayan resmi belgerlerin Türkçe’ye çevrillmiş noter taskikli onaylı örneğı – Notarised translatıon of marriage certificate
5. Milli Eğitim Kurumlarınca veya Konsolosluklarce düzenlenen Türkçe konuşma belgesi – document to certify ability to speak Turkish
6. Genel Sağlık bakımından tehlike teşkil edecek hir hastaliği bulunmadığına dair yurt içinde sağlık kurulu raporu (Heyet Raporu) yurt dışında Türk konsolosluklarınca onaylanmış doktor raporu - medical report
7. Gecimini ne ile temin ettiğini gösterir noter tasdikli belge – proof of ability to support oneself
8. Ülkesi yetkili Makamlarından alınmış, Ana adı, Baba Adı, Soyadı, Doğum yeri, Doğum tarihini gösterir Resmi Belge (Türkçe tercümeli noter tasdikli) – mother’s name, father’s name, surname, date and place of birth
9. 2 adet fotoğraf – two photographs

We then went to the Devlet Hastani to find out what we have to do to get our medicals. We received our forms which we completed and signed and we have to go back next Tuesday morning at 8.30.

Wednesday 30th December 2009-12-29

We have to go to town today to get our dosyas (one each) and to the official translator to get our birth and marriage certificates translated into Turkish. (When we have all the necessary documents we will need to get them all photocopied).

Today we went to the official translator’s office and handed her our marriage certificate, two birth certificates and Paul’s certificate of conversion to Islam for translating. This will cost 80 lira for the translations, but anywhere from 140 – 200 lira for the notary fees!!!!! Gave her 150 lira towards the notary fees and we will collect the documents on Saturday morning.

We also asked her to arrange for our Turkish language test - that should be good for a laugh, but pass or fail we will carry on. The cheapest so far has been the dosyas at 2 lira each.

Saturday 2nd January 2010

So we arrived at the translator’s office at the appointed hour (11.00 a.m.) as she had assured us that she would be there, or on the remote chance that she wasn’t, our documents would be left with her father in the pet shop next door. Well, after all this is Turkey and she is Turkish!!!!! However, we did get the extra photographs we needed so it wasn’t a totally wasted journey. We have arranged now to collect the documents after we have been to the hospital on Tuesday.

Tuesday 5th January 2010

Up bright and early this morning to go to the Devlet Hastanesi for our medical. Unfortunately, the car decided it didn’t want to start (I had had reservations about wearing green socks!!!) Spent almost half an hour trying to contact our friend who was to accompany us and eventually managed to speak to him when he arrived at the hospital. At that moment I heard our car start so told him that we would be on our way within seconds and would be there as soon as possible.

Arrived at 09.00 and hurried into the hospital. First stop at the office of the General Manager for a stamp and signature on our form. Then onto the Sağlik Kurulü. Handed over our pieces of paper together with our 4 photographs. Then they decided they wanted a photocopy of our passports (why didn’t they tell us this last week??). Fortunately there is a desk where this can be obtained easily and FREE!! Back to the office, hand them over and on they go with the form which we will be taking around to the various doctors (6 in total). Ah, what about a photocopy of your Ikamet????????? Our friend hot footed it off to get them.

One word of warning here. If you are not totally fluent in Turkish it is essential to take a Turkish friend with you.

We had to go to the Vezne to pay (at which time our friend dashed off saying he wouldn’t be long. Apparently there was something missing on the forms) The cost was 192 TL for the two of us.

We first saw a psychiatrist, who gabbled something at us in Turkish which we failed totally to comprehend, but he stamped and signed the appropriate section of the form nonetheless. Then to the Neurologist, an ENT doctor, an Eye doctor, all of whom merely asked if we were well and stamped and signed the form. We saw the Dahiliye Uzmani (don’t ask what that means) who wanted a blood test for hepatitis. Back to the vezne and another 62 TL, upstairs to the vampires room where we had our blood taken. We were told to return at 13,.30 for the results, which all came back as negative. Then return to the Dahiliye Uzmani for her signature. We were due back at the Saglik Kurulu at 14.00, but were late due to waiting for the final signature. However, this didn’t present a problem as all the other people we had met in the various queues were there too and it transpired we were waiting for all the doctors to arrive, whereupon they would study our completed forms and make a decision which we would be given at 15.30. Once all the doctors had arrived and were seated at the long table we were called in individually, looked at and sent away to await the final decision!!!!

By this time we were starving so we repaired to a local lokanta for some soup and salad!!

When we returned we had only to wait for a short time before a secretary came out and called out names for our final decision papers to be handed out. Unfortunately, we received only a single sheet of paper each, all the other documents having been kept (including all our receipts for monies paid).

We did go back to the translator to collect our translated and notarised documents, but unfortunately, there were a couple of sections on my birth certificate that she hadn’t been able to read so there was nothing to collect. This means, of course, another visit!!!

To be continued .................

jewel

Jeeze what a performance, but thoroughly enjoyed reading ... thank you will await the next episode. jewel x

jcrian

Think you may have to visit the psychiatrist again before you're finished.

Good luck and looking forward to reading part 2.

carolk

R.I.P
Well done Emmy :biggrin: . My friend got hers today so a few of us had a bit of a celebration!

ChrisBobs

Oh well done to launch yourself into all that- and you must be taking notes as you go!
This is all in Fethiye ?
I look forward to the Mugla part of the story!
Good luck and press on!

XC

saffie

Saffie
That was entertaining and I look forward to part two also........

Incidentally, I asked at the British Consulate last year and was told not to bother applying!! When I asked why not? I was asked if I was married and I replied negative.....she asked if I was married to a Turk.......negative,er.....I'm not married!! She then asked if I was married to an English man? Er.......I'm not married to anyone!!

She then went on to explain that there was nothing preventing me from applying for citizenship as I have lived her for over 10 years.....but nt to waste my time or money as a single woman would not be granted citizenship. When I enquired as to why not,she repeated that a single woman would not be considered so not to waste my time trying. I have since asked elsewhere and been told the same thing so have never applied.

saffie

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Wow - thank you, what really interesting reading. Looking forward to part 2.

Dalaman Deli

Loving Life in Turkey!
Great read Emmy. Looking forward to the next installment.

Good luck with the continuing process, very different from my experience. Muğla would not accept my form with a notarised passport translation and I had to go to the consulate in Izmir with my birth certificate for an affidavit. Had to visit the police station and have my finger prints taken as well.

Harem

I've cliqued
I have heard also that a single woman would not be considered "because she doesn't have a man to support her"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunately, I am married (to an English man) - but because he hasn't yet reached retirement age I am supporting us both!!!!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
My Goodness and i thought getting married had to much red tape !!!! Thanks for yesterday Emmy and the favour you did me xxxx .........Diane

Harem

I've cliqued
Ruth, I think everybody's experience is different, but hopefully our experience, as two yabancis will be helpful to others. We're quite in the dark as to what to expect as everybody else we know who has gained citizenship is married to a Turkish person.

Diane, I think the red tape is comparable whatever you are trying to do, whether getting married, applying for citizenship or even to get a Turkish driving licence (next thing on the agenda!!!) As for the other thing, bir sey degil (sorry not using Turkish keyboard!)

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
How do you get past the language test?

Ian

Harem

I've cliqued
Ian, the language test is something which we still have to learn about and is the biggest unanswered question. When we know about it I will put in on the thread.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Now if you were in England your Human Rights would allow you to take a translator in with you.

I understand that most Kurds do not speak Turkish, so not sure why you need to.

Ian

Harem

I've cliqued
We will probably take a friend to Mugla with us. Hopefully someone who can open the right doors!!!!! But the language test is something we have to do here in Fethiye.

ChrisBobs

But the language test is something we have to do here in Fethiye.

Really? That is new since I did mine- but that was nearly 5 years ago - at the very beginning of the 'new' panel interview procedure- the language was part of that interview then.
The goal posts move!

Good Luck

Chris

Harem

I've cliqued
Item 5 on our list of documents to produce:

Milli Eğitim Kurumlarınca veya Konsolosluklarce düzenlenen Türkçe konuşma belgesi – document to certify ability to speak Turkish

alison09400

I know of a single woman here in Kusadasi who is in the process of applying for citizenship...I don't think she's been told that she won't be considered.

Don't they know that a woman doesn't need a man to support her!! :21:

Regarding kurds not being able to speak turkish....I've never met a kurdish man who can't...even those who've come to visit from the east of the country. I think it's more likely that the women still living in the south-east can't. The children can as they learn at school.

Harem

I've cliqued
I know of a single woman here in Kusadasi who is in the process of applying for citizenship...I don't think she's been told that she won't be considered.

Alison, not sure about Kusadasi, but the instance I have quoted is from someone who went to Mugla. Have heard of a couple of single women who went to Mugla and both were refused - because they were single!!! Again, I think it depends on the area you live in.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom