martin m

apartment damp
Hi all
I would like to pick the brains of anyone that may know more than me about damp proofing (no no-nem jokes please).
Using the link please watch the video and explain wether or not the product would be suitable to treat some damp that i have in my duplex.
Theres not many DIY jobs that i cant do but in this case its the technical knowledge, firstly would the kind of sand used in turkish mortar (very salty) prevent it working, secondly would the damp still creap through the red air bricks used in turkey even though this stuff treats the mortar.
dampstop-dryzone.co.uk - Dryzone - Video - High Bandwidth (400Kbps)
And finally how likely is it that the damp has got in because the paint is comming of the outside walls.
any opinions welcome thanks.
martin

carolk

R.I.P
apartment damp
Martin, it looks great but I thought - what about the bricks they use here, would you have to fill the whole brick? Would you be thinking of bringing it from the UK?

I look forward to any answers.

martin m

apartment damp
Martin, it looks great but I thought - what about the bricks they use here, would you have to fill the whole brick? Would you be thinking of bringing it from the UK?

I look forward to any answers.

Hi Carol
What i am hoping is for some one to say that this stuff is suitable because the damp travels through the mortar to get inside your house, so by treating the mortar with this stuff it will stop that happening, and also that the red hollow bricks are non-porous because if they are not, then the damp would just travel through the brick even if the mortar was treated,But knowing my luck there will be a reason why it wont work but if it does yes i would take five cylinders in my luggage.
martin

apartment damp
Hi Martin,

From what I can see on the video, and I am no expert, this silicone is for a Damp course to prevent Rising Damp, from the groung upwards. It will not cure damp coming through walls from outside, due to faulty workmanship.

Firstly you would have to removes any rendering to find a bed of mortar to inject into, and of what I have seen of brickwork, this bed of mortar could be very irregular.

But if someone knows different, then please reply and correct me and tell us how to find a cure

gren

apartment damp
...firstly would the kind of sand used in turkish mortar (very salty) prevent it working, secondly would the damp still creap through the red air bricks used in turkey even though this stuff treats the mortar. And finally how likely is it that the damp has got in because the paint is comming of the outside walls...

Hi Martin.
Q1- good question!
Q2- also good but there is a lot of air in them bricks!
Q3- yes rising damp will affect the outside walls too, the water is trying to get out but can only rise to 120cm by capillary action. I'd say the flakey paint is a result of the damp NOT the reason for it.

Your questions are exactly what I wonder about this system.
No-nem used a LIQUID and the dosage was hit-and-miss.
The liquid was squirted into the bricks - not the cement thereby relying on the bricks to SOAK it up so they are expected to be porous!)
(BTW, No-nem system DOES NOT work properly)

If a system depends on brick absorbancy, then what is the cement in between them going to do?

I have heard (from a reliable source) that drilling into the bricks must be done diagonally and in opposite directions to covr more honeycomb area (and not how No-nem was doing it - about 30 degrees under horizontal)

martin m

apartment damp
And Martin, would all the render have to knocked off to expose the bricks here?.

Hi carol
I have spoken to a guy from the producers/sellers of the material, and he says that the salt content of the sand in the mortar would make no difference it would still work as usual, and also that as for chippng away the render on the inside his reply was that if it was not a very bad case or large area then to inject as per video and not do anything to render and see if it dried out on its own with the dry heat of the summer.Yes sandy i thought of the irregular beds but would have to just follow the lowest one i could find. and gren your probably right about the flakey paint.
I will just wait a while longer to see if anyone more "in the know" comes along.
martin

dalyansteve

apartment damp
Before you spend loads of money, first ascertain exactly what the problems are, it could be just a case of someone not painting properly or using the wrong type of paint. None of us can tell from here.
If your apart is in a complex of similar properties, do the others have the same problem, are you ground floor or somewhere higher up, is the flaking on a side where the plumbing is?? I could go on.

juco

apartment damp
.........and would the intense summer heat dry out the mixture before it had time to spread along the mortar?

I agree though find the source of the problem and be sure before you spend £s. If you are on the ground them almost certainly rising damp unless higher up the wall then probably seepage through the wall, if around window/door frames then a tube of silicon gives a quick fix.

gren

apartment damp
Sent: 31 May 2009 18:05
To: customer.service@dampstop-dryzone.co.uk
Subject: Dryzone in Turkish properties

Dear Sir,
Would your product work within a 'honeycomb' terracotta brickwork, with unwashed-sand cement?
(The brickwork walls are contained within a concrete pillar shell)
As your product is "injected" into the cement, I understand that the brickwork is unaffected.

Would the cement actually absorb the Dampzone product?
Would the brickwork not contribute to the capillary action of the water?
A liquid stearate injection method (into the brickwork) has been tried and found to fail. Thanks, Gren.
------------------------------------------------------
Dear gren
Thank you for your email. I presume that you mean DampStop rather than Dampzone, or in fact do you mean Dryzone?
Both are products on our website and are capable of doing the job you describe, waterproofing brick and block work by injection into the mortar joint. Creams are superior to injection fluids as they penetrate further and each hole receives a measured dose.
Rising damp rises predominantly through the mortar joint and both DampStop and Dryzone permeate through to the brick and blockwork in addition to the mortar joint.
If you require further inf or mation you can view a DVD on our website, or place an order online at dampstop-dryzone.co.uk - Rising Damp & Waterproofing, Tanking Slurry, Dry Rot & Damp treatments..
Yours sincerely
For DampStop-Dryzone, Jan

Latest Posts

Top Bottom