butt007

Warren
Apartment block maintenance fund
we live on a complex of 7 apartment blocks and and all owners pay into a general community fund for the upkeep of all communal areas, however February 2008 several of us in our block decided to set up an individual block fund for repairs as and when needed.

At the time the terrace roof was causing a problem for the top penthouse apartment in the winter as water was getting through and damaging the walls, we had this fixed(hopefully) in May after the rains had stopped, it was a special sort of Isolation material that is guaranteed min 5yrs but will last 20yrs, this cost us 3800tl.

Our block is built like steps going up the hill backwards from the road, and every apartments balcony is over the top of the lounge of the apartment underneath, so if there is a leaky balcony it causes paint flaking on the front wall of the owners lounge below it.

So my question is this, ... to stop the leak, who pays?? the balcony owner pays?? or should the money come from the block maintenance fund??

But if the block fund paid where does this stop.

Patio door falls of it's runners?
leak under the bath so needs new pipe?
yes ok, I know some things will be covered by Ins. So any advice anyone please Warren

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
If the roof space is empty (nobody using that space as part of their apartment) i.e an attic which everyone can access, then everyone shares cost. If someone owns the roofspace and it is part of their apartment, then they pay for it's repair.

Balcony owner pays for repair to avoid damage to person below. But check your contract to look for exceptions.

Ian

Peregrine

Well Warren, its up to those that contribute to decide what the fund is for (specify what is included and what is not)

funny thing though - if I own a balcony and it leaks I dont particularly care (the bloke below has the problem of the flaky paint but it doesnt bother me) so who pays is an interesting question. Who owns the structure (is it you, whose ceiling it forms. Or is it the guy above whose balcony it forms?) is probably the way to decide who pays

good luck sorting it out. As ever it comes down to that old chestnut of a LAWYER - get one to write a contract about the fund (including who administers it, where is it invested, what happens to late or non payers, what if there is a large surplus etc). When you start to think about it theres a lot to be covered

butt007

Warren
Well, when we set up the fund Feb 2008 it was originally for the repainting of the block in the future and any repairs such as a broken stair railing or perhaps a loose slab of marble on the stairs, you know,...... things like that.

Unfortunately it would seem we did not go into it deeply enough as to what exactly should or should not be paid for. The penthouse owner now claims that his balcony is part of the roof as it covers the owners lounge underneath where the damage is occuring.

My gut feeling is "No" it is his balcony and he should have it re-grouted or whatever at his own expense, the apartment owner next to me last summer had his retiled at his own cost, should'nt think he would be terribly happy about paying to repair someone else's, plus five owners in the block next to us had there's re-grouted which they paid for themselves.

I am the collector of the money as I live here, and any jobs that do need doing I e-mail owners to ask if it's ok to get the job done after 2 or 3 estimates, so we do it democraticaly and the vote wins whichever way the vote goes, I have to say that my wife is now asking me pack it in and let them all just get on with it. Warren

Peregrine

its a minefield - but good on you for volounteering to be the Banker

still think a trip to a lawyer might be in order (but more expense)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom