Martyn

Anyone using Virgin media?
Well is there? How do you find it? I'm looking maybe at changing from Sky(TV) and TalkTalk for phone and broadband. Firstly it looks a bit cheaper and secondly the downloads are a lot better it seems. We get a good deal on the phone but then we have 600 minutes a month on mobiles that don't get used so we can use tjose for phone calls as well. Part of my work is downloading CDs from the USA & The Netherlands and also I use VPN as part of my job(VPN has to work). One of the features I would miss is Sky+ does the Virgin one compare? Also how much is the multiroom equivalent? I think it's an extra box.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Been with NTL/Virgin for aaaages. Rarely have a problem with any of the services. And downloads are VERY good.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I'm with Virgin broadband at moment and have just signed up to Sky broadband, phone and tv - It's saving me £30 a month.

I did have virgin phone for 12 mths as well but they were bloody chancers - charged me a lot for 08 calls and phone services such as 1471.

C

Martyn

I'm with Virgin broadband at moment and have just signed up to Sky broadband, phone and tv - It's saving me £30 a month.

I did have virgin phone for 12 mths as well but they were bloody chancers - charged me a lot for 08 calls and phone services such as 1471.

C

Thanks C. I was with cable a long, long time ago and seem to remember them charging extras like that. Sort of answer i want, thanks.

McDHibs

Martyn have you thought about Freesat you use the same cables and dish as the sky box and once you buy the box there is no monthly fee. You can get a Humax box for £280 with recording facilities and you get HD programmes or a box with no hard drive for £129 which also gets HD or a bog standard no HD or Hard drive for around £50. You get around 140 tv channels and 60 radio you also don’t suffer the breaking up that happens with freeview through a aerial, just a thought.

Mike

Martyn

Martyn have you thought about Freesat you use the same cables and dish as the sky box and once you buy the box there is no monthly fee. You can get a Humax box for £280 with recording facilities and you get HD programmes or a box with no hard drive for £129 which also gets HD or a bog standard no HD or Hard drive for around £50. You get around 140 tv channels and 60 radio you also don’t suffer the breaking up that happens with freeview through a aerial, just a thought.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, I already have Sky and multiroom but I was drawn to the cable broadband as I can get faster speeds. I get about 6 meg as it is so I suppose it is ok but the other day I wanted to download 2.5 gig DvD for work from Microsoft.

luddendenturk

The Very Fat Sailor!
I have been with Sky for my TV service for ages, and for the last 18 months or so for their broadband. I find the broadband service first class!!!!

I rang them up last month to 'suggest' that I might remove sports and films from my package as part of domestic cost cutting measures?

They offered me a 20% discount off our existing packages (TV & Broadband) for the next 6 months, as well as a £5 per month phone deal, which includes line rental and free evening and weekend calls. After 6 months the phone deal will revert to £10per month.

The phone deal does not require any payment to BT.

Hope that this helps.

Martyn

I have been with Sky for my TV service for ages, and for the last 18 months or so for their broadband. I find the broadband service first class!!!!

I rang them up last month to 'suggest' that I might remove sports and films from my package as part of domestic cost cutting measures?

They offered me a 20% discount off our existing packages (TV & Broadband) for the next 6 months, as well as a £5 per month phone deal, which includes line rental and free evening and weekend calls. After 6 months the phone deal will revert to £10per month.

The phone deal does not require any payment to BT.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks for that. What speed broadband do you get(get around 6 meg), and who supplies your phone line?

red

We are with virgin as soon as I get time to shop aroung I intend to switch. The internet often goes off and on-demand too. It's not like sky+ you can't save programmes of choice.

luddendenturk

The Very Fat Sailor!
Thanks for that. What speed broadband do you get(get around 6 meg), and who supplies your phone line?

Sky supply the phone line!

£5 inc vat is for line and calls. Rising to just £10 inc vat after 6 months.

Unfortunately, our speed is not good (just 2meg), however, that is because I live in a small village with poor phone lines.

If you can get 6meg, then that's what you will get via Sky. Plus the Sky BB prices are very competitive.

Martyn

Thanks I'll look into it. Cable I think gets Setanta in their TV but I would lose Skysports so it needs some thinking about.

chris

Well I'm with Virgin never had a problem with the service. But the big problem is the price been with them now for about 8 years just found out they rip off the long standing customers if i was a new customer today my package would be £8 per month cheaper so think I'll be changing over to Sky.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Before you do that ring up Virgin and have a whinge. You'll find that they are just as desperate to keep you as Sky were with Luddenturk. They'll give you some discount :)

Hi we are with virgin media cant say we have had any major problems, we have phone, TV and Broadband with Virgin Plus box which is simplicity itself even my techniphobic mum and dad use it. I think we pay an extra £5 for another box upstairs thats just a receiver it hasnt got the virgin plus feature. They have quite a lot of extras on the Virgin plus box that lets you watch lots of catch up tv, , movies on demand, music on demand, there is even a karaoke feature (great for parties) plus lots more, sorry cant compare to sky box.

They do alter their prices now and then but as someone said give them a ring and have a winge and they will match most prices to keep your business.

Jane

tinkyman

i would not touch virgin with a bargepole. it took us two years to cancel and in the end i had to cancel the standing order and change the telephone number to get away from them. their customer services are useless etc etc.
we are with BT for everything now and I get Setanta free with BT vision. got great anti virus software free and it cleaned up my computer

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Lol I could mirror most of that post with BT in place of Virgin. My broadband was absolutlely awful with BT. You also get anti virus with Virgin, but that shouldn't be needed anyway as it isn't difficult to get adequate free antivus software.

Helenm150

I am looking for the best deal in the UK for satellite TV, broadband and telephone and contacted Sky but unfortunately my house is outside Sky's broadband network so they could only offer Sky Broadband Connect - which at 8Mb download speed and a 40GB monthly usage allowance - and priced at £17 per month - is not such a good deal as their Sky Everyday or Sky Unlimited packages so it is back to the drawing board. I am looking at maybe Freesat for satellite TV and someone else for broadband and telephone - but not sure who else apart from Sky and BT can provide a telephone line. By the way, Sky were going to charge £39 to install the telephone line.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom