Martyn

Anyone using mains Ethernet?
Is anyone? I'm thinking of using it to get solid ethernet in the garage room where I use my computers. The router is in the front of the house and wireless doesn't give the solid connect i need. It drops off and causes me problems with the corportate vpn connection and media connections to the usa & Holland I require. Running a Cat 5e ethernet cable would resolve the problem but it's a bit difficult with the route. I will have to do it but am just thinking of the mains scenario instead. Anyone?

McDHibs

Hi Martyn

Not had any great experience with running over mains. I used to install Cat5 networks and running with power was always a no no crosstalk etc. I have tried running an infrared signal over the mains to control a DVD player from another room but that failed as the nearest socket was on a spur and not the direct ring main technology may have moved on since I tried it

Mike

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
There are some reviews on the maplin website and on amazon that should give you some idea, i had a similar problem, but ended up running cat 5 instead as the reviews at the time mostly said set up was tricky.

martin

Mushtaq

Founding Member
I got a set of this with the BT Vision (TV on demand via BT broadband) equipment that I ordered, the video was very slow and stopped regularly, I'm not sure if the problem was with this device or the service but I got fedup and sent it back, as it was unusable, I mean I got better results from YouTube.

Not an answer to your question but my guess is that these devices can handle the throughput.

Have you looked at WIFI Repeaters?

Martyn

Have you looked at WIFI Repeaters?

I want to get away from wifi Mushtaq, it's not weakness of signal. I'm using the n range technology so distance should't be a problem(15m from router) and I have been onto Linksys(part of Cisco) and they gave live one to one sessions looking at the beacon settings etc. Eventually they replaced the router but still having problems. It could be interference from all sorts, i have 4 portable home phones, mobile phones, microwave, could even be a neighbour. If I run an Ethernet cable then it is rock solid so it's not the ISP causing the problem. I looked at the Maplin write up not long ago and I think i will run the cable as I know it will work. There was also talk of issues with Macs and I run one Mac along with my work laptop. The idea was that can put an ethernet switch at the end and then run multiple ethernet connections from there but i don't think the mains solution allows that. It looks like it is one unit to one computer technology.

Last edited:

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
Hi Martin, I use a twin pack high speed powerline ethernet bridge which gives me upto 200 mbps. You just plug them into your excisting power sockets and it gives you a network throughout the house.

Pete

Martyn

Hi Martin, I use a twin pack high speed powerline ethernet bridge which gives me upto 200 mbps. You just plug them into your excisting power sockets and it gives you a network throughout the house.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Can you put a switch on the other end from the router? The speed would be fine, even 10mbs would be ok as long as it's solid, it's a real pain if it drops off.

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
Martyn, you simply plug the Powerline Highspeed Ethernet adaptor into the power socket and connect it to the PC's interface - likewise the other one into the router. No software to install; Ranges of up to 200 meters - the high-speed standard ensures that PCs can even exchange large files via the electricity supply without long delays. Even videos in DVD / HD / Blu-ray quality can be sent through the household electricity circuit for perfect streaming.

Pete

Martyn

Thanks Pete, but I need to run 2 computers off the other end so can I add say a 4 port switch to it and plug into that? Sounds like you can.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom