jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Anybody near Gumbet at the moment
This article Unlicensed buildings in Bodrum demolished - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review is being discussed on some other forums and makes frightening reading. When we were over there at the beginning of November, some of our friends were saying they had to remove or shorten their overhangs (the bit that makes the outside the inside if you know what I mean) but nobody mentioned demolishing 300 buildings!! When we were there, the Radio Bar had made a start on the work and a couple of others were just beginning. I'm trying to place the photo in the article but could have done with a wider angle for recognition.

Is anybody over there who can shed some light on this - with 300 buildings gone, there might not be much of Gumbet left!! I know that there were some places that looked as if they could do with "refurbishment" but this wholesale demolition looks a bit drastic:33:

If they knock that many down, even if they start rebuilding, think of the effect it could have on next year's tourist trade (and maybe even years to come).

Last edited:

alison09400

I'm not in Gumbet, but from what I read in that newspaper article it seems the "extra" bits that were built on to existing buildings to make them bigger are being knocked down. The same thing was done here in Kusadasi 3 years ago and it certainly tidied the place up. Many businesses lost half of their customer/business space but it was an illegal piece of construction.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Thanks Alison, that makes more sense than complete demolition and will definitely tidy the place up - but not change it too much hopefully.

ChrisBobs

The local TV also showed the demolition work starting- on the extras beside buildings opposite the Bag Evleri Hotel. Such as pergola type shade areas over outdoor bars. Have't been over to see it what is happening though.
There was a meeting at the Municipality 2 weeks ago where most people affected by the orders attended.
It seems to be long overdue.

uncle fester

Senior Member.
hi i am in bodrum and was in gumbet sunday and wil be later today yes there are making major changes,including what you say.sunday the owners are working them selfs before the there turn up to start putting electric cables under the road and start to wided the all the paths etc etc in gumbet.
hope this helps.

I have been told that the council are demolishing the unlicensed buildings, ie buildings and extensions that have not had planning permission, which as you can guess applies to a lot of property in Turkey.We will see what happens.

jakkigers

Eccleston/Konacik
Hmm, it will be interesting to see what happens and how it all looks at the beginning of next season.

uncle fester

Senior Member.
hi ya YES its getting knocked down today many places so you will see when you come. its like a war zone.lol.

Roanne

can any one shed any light on where abouts in Gumbet this is all going on?

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
I haven't been into Gumbet itself, but today I went past the sunday market place, and it has all been knocked down!

Moggycat

Oh dear!! What a mess it must all be, we are home in England at the moment but back end of January. Will we be able to find our way home???? Hopefully will be an improvement in the long run, but not a good omen for next season! I think the picture in the paper was around the area of Mary's Bar, just accross the road from Radio Bar.

ChrisBobs

I haven't been into Gumbet itself, but today I went past the sunday market place, and it has all been knocked down!

THe Sunday market is going to be replaced by a covered, modern multi-use building, said the Bodrum Belediye yesterday. They also said it will ready by January!

ı am not a 100 percent but ıt looks lıke the arya restaurant to me goın off the haırdressers ın the background however ı may be wrong

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3762603/g_mbet_te_yikimlar_devam_ed_yor/"]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3762603/g_mbet_te_yikimlar_devam_ed_yor/[/ame]

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3747216/g_mbet_te_yikim_ali_malari_ba_ladi/"]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3747216/g_mbet_te_yikim_ali_malari_ba_ladi/[/ame]

Last edited:

Moggycat

I have tried several times to forward the second video clip to the Irish couple on it who are now home from Gumbet, no success, please can anyone tell me how to do it. Thankyou, Moggycat

Moggycat

Anybody got any updates or more pics from Gumbet or tales of woe from owners etc.,

syncr0

found this snippet on Gumbet Uncovered.........

''....apparently they have pulled down Leo's, Chico's and Smilie's and are turning them into houses...''

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
Went for a small walk through Gumbet today, in between showers! Here are some latest pictures:
!st - Looking at Lengends/Outback Bar
2nd- looking down from Legends towards Gumbet Cafe/Sue's place on right after bend
3rd - Looking across at Smiley's
4th - Gumbet market place
5th - Poster of the new market place

Dolmus couldn't go along the main road through Gumbet as there was a digger etc there, looked like it was on the road opposite the Parrot Bar, on same side as the chinese.

Attachments

• IMG_0096 TLF.jpg
    IMG_0096 TLF.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0097TLF.jpg
    IMG_0097TLF.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0098TLF.jpg
    IMG_0098TLF.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0100TLF.jpg
    IMG_0100TLF.jpg