Ants!!
Any of you garden experts know how to deter ants from eating the young shoots on my mandarin trees?
In the past I have tried waxing/greasing the trunk but it soon "bakes hard" in the sun and they just continue up the trunk to the new shoots.

dalyansteve

Ants!!
You could try some of the worldwide banned poison, but still available here. I am more interested in how to stop them coming in the house and eating all the roof timbers.

Ants!!
I would prefer not to use any poison(s) etc.
I would prefer just to deter them climbing the trunk.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Ants!!
Are you sure it is the ant that is the problem and not another insect that is the problem.
Ants will only climb up a plant for one main reason.They want to get at the aphids.Aphids produce a sugary fluid that the ants love and will tickle the aphids behind so it will release this fluid.The ant then collects this fliud in it's jaws and takes it back to the incubator section in the colony.
Look closely to the new fresh buds and leaves,you will see the aphids and the ants milking them.

One aphid can produce 35 of them in one day.So it is best to have a plan to get rid of them without much hassle and exspense.
lntroduce munching eating insects that just love juicy aphids.And what l do everyday is to get a bamboo stick and tap the branches.The aphids will fall on the ground,where you can stamp on them.Another way is to use two fingers and rub the effected twig between your two fingers up and down the twig.
Never use pesticides,because this can have an effect on the predators that will do the job for you for free.

geordie_nev

Ants!!
Don’t people paint the trunks of their trees white as a non-toxic way of stopping ants and other insects climbing up?

Ants!!
Thanks for the replies so far.
No it's not aphids it is certainly the ants that are eating the new shoots as I have watched them doing so.
I was told that the painting white of tree trunks was a sort of fungicide. But that could be wrong. What do they use to paint them white?

geordie_nev

Ants!!
I'm sure some one will know more that me but I think its some kind of limestone clay/wash?? I’m sure a garden center or hardware shop would know. I think it protects trees from the sun damage as well.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Ants!!
Back in England during my profession as a gardener.l used grease bands to deter the codling moth from climbing up the tree which effects the fruit of the tree.Here is Turkey is to deter the caterpillar from climbing the tree,by painting the trunks of trees that can be effected with a pesticide inside the paint.l even saw light poles painted.
Maybe l am wrong on their method of deterring the pest,but l don't think it has nothing to do with the ant.Unless it is a carpenter ant that can feed within the tree and can cause a problem.

hijo

in my own clique
Ants!!
..Korban is very effective on ants ..harmless to cats and dogs if you have any,but remember to wash hands afterwards ..small traces of cyanide.....:nono:

hijo

in my own clique
Ants!!
..you can get it in many hardware stores in turkey..it is actually a pink powder for killing of ants very effectevly..:juggle:

Lindacm

Ants!!
We have ants all over our garden and now making nests in the walls. Need to do something to deter them. Don't like killing them, but now far too many, so need to do something. Any suggestions?

Linda

ChrisBobs

Ants!!
Hi Linda
it seems to be the time the ants are swarming and they fly with wings ( before they shed them) to set up new ant colonies. I have tried turning the house o them fore a few bursts- dont like using poision.
Buzz
Its the good old KIREC the limewash, that is used on the trees, that you can also use to whitewash the house , the sides of the path, road kerb, etc...( if you stand still at the moment you will be painted too!) Buy it in those small white plastic bags and mix it with a bit of water.

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Ants!!
Good advice Chrisbobs.

Our friend has noticed many ant nests in his garden everywhere. There must be millions and millions of them in the whole garden ranging from eggs, to babies to full grown adults to flying ants...its terrible.
He keeps blasting them with a hose but they survive and start making their nests all over the garden again!

Anyone know of anything that kills ants but not the grass?

Richnkim

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom