cirali

Antalya's lack of indoor pools for sports activities, teams and swimmers
I just wrote this piece for the gumbet forum and I thought I would like to share it the the Antalya forum.

Believe it or not here in Antalya ( large city with a big population ) still does not have a decent indoor swimming pool. Sure there are plenty of 5 star hotels with pools that also charge big fees to use the facilities. But I guess the government of Antalya is only concerned with the touristic part of the city and not to the local people who live, work or study here.

My daughter is a swimmer and usually swims at the Akdeniz University pool ( the only pool available to the public ) but now almost 1 year later Antalya swimmers are still having trouble finding a decent indoor pool. The situation is that one year ago in March after a big wind storm the universities pool's roof blew off !!!! Since that time the swimmers of antalya have been forced to swim either outdoors ( freezing cold ) or at the Titanic Hotel Pool ( outdoors but heated ) located on the other side of the city. She spends well over one hour on the service bus to get to this place. Also there has been forced cancellations of swim meets in Antalya as there is no place to compete.

The government or this fine city feels that swimming is not such a major sport. There has been on going debates and law suits over the 11 milyon ( old money trilyon ) YTL spent over the last 12 years or more for the Olympic size indoor pool located accross for the shereton Hotel. This pool has been built once, never completed, then torn down to begin the process all over again. This second building stands over 60% finished ( left to rot ) over the last 4 years and once again the government wishes to tear it down and build something else. ( sports stadium ) Anyone who drives past this place knows what I am talking about.

We are still waiting for the university pool to be renovated and of course now closed since October to all the citizens and and students. We have been told time and time again ''OH it will be finished next month'' since December and now it is Feb will still not confirmed finish dates.

I do believe that in a year or 2 Antalya will have a much better outlook for pools but for the moment what do this kids do ????? My daughter is sheduled to compete at the end of March for here age group and was unable to attend last months swim meet in Denizli due to this situation ( lack of pool time ). Her normal swimming practice was everday in the pool for the last 2 years but after the collapse of the roof and un-available pools her swimming time is reduced to 4 days a week and 2 days at the gym. This has got to effect her preformance at the up an coming competions this year.

There are 2 projects in the works with the local municpalities but they have not yet started any developments. I laugh when I drive by this one sign that states in turkish '' Say no to Drugs - Yes to Sports '' but where are the facilities to do this ??????? Antalya makes billions of dollars a year on tourism but what does it give back to the local people ??? Just goes into the pockets of the rich I guess.

Sorry for rambling on but this is a touchy subject for me. A frustrated swimmer's MOM :8: :29: :2:

Last edited:
Thats awful..i remember you told me about this situation before..
İs there anything people as a forcing group can do. ..petitions complaints etc.
Antalya mut be one of the richest municipalities in southern Turkey.
That's a disgrace...the Belidiye in Alanya are at present building a public pool and its quarter of the size of Antalya

cirali

Thanks shirley for your support and yes it is a disgrace especially when the smaller towns as compared to the size of Antalya can build these facilities why not Antalya. ?? We have signed petitons and been to the mayor's office ( myself personally ) but without much or any luck. As you see this sport is not football. Many years ago another group of parents went to the mayor office and were told point out blank that they can swim in the ocean !!!! So no need for indoor pools. But this is wrong as many people, schools, elderly can use these facilities. The debate right now is between the AKP and the CHP parties. CHP supports the continued building of the Olympic size pool but the AKP wants to tear it down and do something else with the land. Murat pasa offered to add addition money and complete the project but that was turned down. The land it's self is worth quite a bit. Do you know the area???

For those who can read turkish here are just a few news reports from the Antalya VIP KANAL on this subject. Or just go into the site http://www.kanalvip.com.tr and type in ''Yüzme''.

http://www.kanalvip.com.tr/haber_detay.asp?ID=19480&baslik_id=3
http://www.kanalvip.com.tr/haber_detay.asp?ID=19560&baslik_id=18
http://www.kanalvip.com.tr/haber_detay.asp?ID=19793&baslik_id=3

I do remember reading something about the unfinished pool in Alanya. How is it going ?? Maybe the swimmers of Antalya will have to go to Alanya to compete.

Also with the amount of constuction of new apartments in Antalya the local municpalities certainly should be able to come up with the money to invest in public projects like this.

Last edited:
Çiralı..
we hope that the AKP, Erdoğan and the rest of his religous cronies will be voted out of power in the next general election coming up soon and for Antalya to return to the CHP stronghold it once was.....
It is an absolute disgrace the way money is invested here in 5 star tourism and nothing much else...witness the fact that the best lit road in Antalya is a 1/4 mile stretch down from the airport to the hotels at Kundu.....European standard road lighting....as opposed to everywhere else in the city, including the very busy (non touristic) ring road, where you have to use your full beams when driving...sometimes I think that this country is getting dangerously close to killing the goose that laid the golden egg....

cirali

Hi janeanneteacake,

so true so true.....

cirali

Hi all,

I would just like to update in regards to this situation. For the past few weeks my daughter has been unable to participate in any kind of swim practice due to the fact that the Titanic hotel has now declined their offer to use their pool. Only due to the fact that the tourism season has started and they are unable to acommodate our team. An understandable situation as they are in a buisness as a hotel not as a sports facility.

So now for the past few weeks because Antalya has not resolved any situations about community pools my daughter is unable to swim anywhere. She will most likely be attending a swim meet at the end of this month but after 2.5 years of practice spending long days and nights at the university pool, making sacrifices to other social events she will go off to this swim meet without having the time in the water. For anyone who understand competitive swimming they will know that is just terrible.

Antalya should learn from example of the much smaller rural towns building sports facilities around Turkey. One interesting fact that was in the newspaper awhile back was Istanbul was in the process of building 3 more pools. Now of course Istanbul population is much greater than Antalya's and they deserve it but remember at the moment there is not ONE available pool for Antalya's swimmers. And it's just not my daughter there are more children that have lost out !!!

The univiersity pool ( 25m ) will probably not be finished until early June. There are also many univiersity students who use this same pool that are unable to swim. Also every year in Antalya are held the Special Olympics for the disabled held at the univiersity, so this year I guess it will not happen. Rehabilitation for those with special needs and physical difficulties are also at a loss.

We read in the newspaper every once in awhile about children or even adults that drown every year in Turkey becuase they do not know how to swim. Just sad. We had high hopes for the antalya koleji pool but for the moment it is still not finished. So I guess my last aternative is for my daughter to swim in the ocean from now on.

So I am asking all of you to respond to this post in show of support for the youth of Turkey. am I frustrated YES !!!! I would like to hear your thoughts.

:16:

civciv

There is a lovely Municipal Swimming Pool in Marmaris, which opened a few years ago (however the lady that donated the land the Pool was built on, had specified the area should be a green park but the Council opened the Pool instead.. the matter is in Court!)
A couple of the kids I used to teach english swim there daily and compete for Marmaris in national competitions. I agree its so unfair and sad for the kids in your town as they are unable to practice when they want plus when they enter competitions they have a distinct disadvantage.
Cant you approach the Chamber of Commerce for sponsorship within the local business community to construct a pool with conference facilities etc? Perhaps coupled with getting the kids to do some sponsored activities and raise some funds, this might inspire them and/or the Belediye to do something?
Also, what about doing your research and preparing a document to the Mayor comparing what is available in other areas, and requesting the same facilities? Perhaps even going to the local newspapers to promote the lack of facilities may strike a chord with a business person whose kids like swimming, the more support and info you have the better. We need children to participate in sports, regardless of which country they live in, and I wish you success in your mission!

cirali

Thanks civciv,

For your support and I do know the Marmaris swimming pool. It is a fantastic complex and my daughter has swam there twice in competitions. Place 4th last year in the Youth Festival organized race in May for the 100m in the 1995 girl's age group. Great place and Antalya should learn by example. I was so surprized that they built it withın 150 days. So it is possible. But now I hear that it also has it's own problems.

As you can see by the links for the VIP Kanal I previously posted this subject has been mentioned many times in the news and local papers but still without success. I myself have been to the mayor's office with a signed petition along with other parents also again without any success and this was before the university's pool blew off. The one pool that we could use.

I have kept a file with news articles and other projects of other town or cities around turkey but I unfortunately am one person with one voice and cannot get the ball rolling with others. Either the parents or coaches or the other team in Antalya. There are two teams for Antalya and if there were more or better pools the amount of teams would also increase along with more children having the opportunity for learning to swim.

I have sent many emails to the local district municipalities along with the MEB and Genclik Sport offices also with out any answers or replies. As you know this sport is not football. If this was over a football stadium the problem would be solved quickly.

As a foriegner I totally understand about fund raising and I have the drive to persue this venture but it is caught up in so many other problems and protocol.''This is Turkey'' as so many of us know this saying.

I do hope that this problem can get resolved but the future looks bleek right now at least for the next year for Antalya swimmers.

Once again thanks for your support and ı really want to get more people aware of this situation. Good luck to your students in their races !!

Still frustrated in Antalya !!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom